W&B 4 Barbers Use Restore- a WIP

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Hogrider, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Hogrider

Hogrider Member

Today I received the second W&B. This one didn't get away, it is a hefty W&B for barber's...right away I got to work on it; I have attached some pics and it is by no means finished; this puppy is going to take me many hours of work in the HOG-O-Buffer

The blade arrived in a nice coffin; I consulted the books and the blade dates back to 1845. I know the box belongs to a Frederick Reynolds razor

[​IMG]

The following plates show the blade being cleaned using 220 grit...I plan to move to 400 grit next. The scales are ok and I plan not to replace them

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The weather was steamy hot yesterday here in Miami, so I stayed indoors most of the day; I also had a chance to work quite a bit on the W&B for Barber’s use. The blade took quite a nice sheen; not the shine produced by an electric buffer; but a nice “warm” shine which is the product of hours of buffing/cleaning by hand, and there is a difference; just like the contrast between leather and vinyl . I confess that there is some pitting towards the toe and a small spot in the middle towards the edge (which had me worried; but it turned out ok) and can’t be removed unless much metal is taken away in those areas. Attached are a couple of photos of the almost finished product, I still need to clean and buff the scales and need to take out some scratches with Toff's magic erasor; interesting while doing some preliminary cleaning with Flitz, one scale showed the name of the prior owner faintly scratched in Spencerian script.

Honing regiment: The temptation was great so I yielded to it. I honed the W&B on the full range of Naniwas . The first order of business was to establish the bevel, I accomplished this with the 1K with slurry from a Norton prep stone. No problem there, the blade was shaving arm hair, and true to a wedge it did it silently. There were some micro ships toward the toe of the blade, I had to work those out to get to “clean metal” the rest was a down-hill battle with the rest of the Naniwas sharpening and polishing the bevel, it now looks like a mirror, thought I need to do some minor work towards the very tip of the blade.

Results: I shaved last night; I am going to post the results in today’s SOTD in full detail. Take care. HOG

The blade was cleaned/polished with 400, 800, 1000 and 1500 w/d paper
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sailinblues and Asd like this.
  2. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Nice find, W&B always seem to look nice, glad to hear it shaves good.;)

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Ditto. Nice score.

4. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

What they said. I have a W&B in original scales that Glen cleaned up for me. They are really nice and work well too. Heavy as hell but very good razors none-the-less.

5. GeauxLSU

GeauxLSU New Member

That's one on my "gotta have" list. Nice grab! ;)