W&B and a Henckels finished up this week

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by gssixgun, Feb 19, 2012.

1. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    This was one of those razors that takes its own course, I often say sometimes the razor decides [​IMG]

This one was set for a simple Vintage restore but the back scale didn't just crack it basically shattered when I barely popped the retaining washer [​IMG]
    So I think to myself [​IMG] I bet I have one to match in the bench box, I dig through and find a horn scale to sorta match, that I can at least work with.. Check the fit and decide that I can make it work with just a little ingenuity, First thing I have to do is drill out the old holes... No kidding one second on the drill press and the pivot hole splinters out .

At this point in time I am thinking we need to change directions.. So we decide to take this up a level and change to a custom restore and I get to pick the direction.. [​IMG]

I have had this Bone Linen Micarta on the bench at least a year and have been meaning to try it out, I bought it because I thought it could look like the old Cream Celluloid scales if done right..

I polished the steel out to a near perfect, mirror first then built the scales to match the original shape in fact I used the original wedge the scales were sanded to 400 then buffed in to look as close to the old celluloid as I could manage.. Pins are Brass with Triple stacked washers

Hones: Chosera 1k, Henckels 1-3-8, Select Coticule Finish..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note: the cuts on the spine, I have no idea why they were put in there. I find them very rarely on some of these older heavier Sheffields, I guess it could be decoration but there look nothing like the nice scalloped spines we see from the same makers???

Asd, battle.munky and macaronus like this.
  2. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    This one is a very special razor commissioned by my friend Roy for his son Conner..

They got together and drew up the plans and sent the razor and the specs to me...
    As you can see in the plans they gave me a general layout leaving me the freedom to achieve it

Razor: Henckels Friodur

Steel: Inox

Size: 8/8

Scales: Feathered Buffalo Horn

Finish: 3m to 8000 then buffed

Pins: Brass

Wedge: Brass Lined Black Horn

Hones: Naniwa SS 1-3-5-8-10-12

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Little something extra for the center pin spacer in brass [​IMG]

Thanks for looking

Asd, battle.munky and macaronus like this.
  3. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Wow both of them look fantastic, nice work as always glen.

4. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

They both look great Glen!

5. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sweet stuff!
    Gets me ta thinkin' it's been too long since I've sent any work your way ;)

7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Very impressive! Excellent work! :signs021:

8. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Both of them are outstanding Glen. Excellent work!

9. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

Both look fantastic Glen, but the Buffalo horn certainly as the WOW! factor, I would love to get my hands on some of the Buffalo horn, great work as usual. PS and those old vintage scales I know exactly what you mean, some of them can be so brittle, i've had a few sets on me just fall apart in pieces when you try to un pin them, I find the Ator scales some of the worst for being brittle.

Regards Jamie.

10. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Stunning, Glen. Excellent job. I really like the first one and I think you succeded in your mission to make them look like the old celluloid scales. :happy096:

11. Sir Swine

Sir Swine Member

beautiful horn and a stunning job