Wade and butcher bow

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by neiasden, Oct 11, 2022.

1. neiasden

neiasden Member

who knows why this particular razor has the bow instead of the regular arrow and b in a circle?

2. neiasden

neiasden Member

3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    wb_ad_3.jpg
    W&B used many marks for their razors.

Edit: ...it has a bow on it because it is one of "Wade & Butcher's famous keen shaving bow razors;" and no, I do not know what makes a razor a 'bow' razor, other than the tang stamp.

Edit 2: I'm guessing the Bow came before the Arrow, in the timeline of trademarks. The Bow was used until at least the 1920's, well after the Arrow trademark started being used.
    wb_page_1.jpg

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
    Stefano73 and lightcs1776 like this.
  4. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I have zero "Proof" but I did hear it was a marketing campaign to answer the Wostenholm "Pipe" series or perhaps the other way around

[​IMG]

Basically, these companies had many marketing ploys that were all over the place to us, but made sense to them

DaltonGang likes this.
  5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Back then, their marketing was on their razors, and they had to stand out, above the competition. Fancy inlayed scales, unique stamps on the tang, overly decorative designs on the blades.

gssixgun likes this.
  6. Stefano73

Stefano73 Well-Known Member

I find this maybe is Wade and Butcher ?
    [​IMG]

7. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    It's possible, but my gut feeling is that it isn't. Shape of the tang, blade shape, point shape etc. Just doesn't scream W&B.

Edit: not saying it couldn't be a W&B, just that it doesn't have the tell-tale characteristics that make a W&B razor stand out from it's contemporaries.

gssixgun likes this.
  8. Stefano73

Stefano73 Well-Known Member

I only thought that because "The celebrated medium size hollow ground razor" is what W&B often also writes on its blades.

9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Put a pic of that W&B up. As well as the other one, to compare.

10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Here's one, though the seller does not list it as a W&B razor, it shows strong W&B characteristics. Other definite W&B razors with that phrase on the blade have late 1800-early 1900 styling.

Edit: Other companies use "the celebrated" etch on their razors as well, if not that specific phrase.

between the Sheffield make and the etch, I would upgrade my doubt to "it's probably a Wade & Butcher made razor." I would also guess that it was a factory second, or sold under a hardware or department store brand, rather than the W&B name, though that truly is just that, a guess.
    Screenshot_20221017_144137.jpg

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
    Stefano73 likes this.