WANT a recipe for Fruit cake

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by akady, Nov 18, 2008.

1. akady

akady New Member

I was wondering if anyone had a recipe for fruit cake.

2. Will

Will Nevermind

Easy.

Here is how I did it.

Had sex with the wife, baked 9 months. Instant fruit cake.

Be careful though you may end up with more then one.

3. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Looking for a Christmas gift for people you don't like? :rolleyes005

Sorry...I hate fruit cake. :sick007

4. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Good Fruit Cake is QUITE good. I'll try to find a recipe I have lying around and post it here.

5. akady

akady New Member

AHHHH not ready for that kind of cake yet. I am only 21 please god no.

You are missing out it is so good.

6. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

And I will continue to miss out. :)

However, if memory serves, Ken is (or was?) a pastry chef, so he should probably have a good one for you.

7. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Ok, I tracked down the recipe I had lying, can't remember exactly where I got it but here we go. Obviously the pecans are a no-no if due to allergy.. etc etc. I like this one due to it being all REAL.. no gum fruits or whatever. It seems like a LOT of work (huge ingredient list) but it really isn't. Any fruit cake hater might even like the sound of what is in this one!

NOTE: Do not skimp on any item. Buy the best quality you can find and the cake will be even better.

Ingredients

* 1 cup golden raisins
    * 1 cup currants
    * 1/2 cup sun dried cranberries
    * 1/2 cup sun dried blueberries
    * 1/2 cup sun dried cherries
    * 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
    * Zest of one lemon, chopped coarsely
    * Zest of one orange, chopped coarsely
    * 1/4 cup candied ginger, chopped
    * 1 cup gold rum

* 1 cup sugar
    * 5 ounces unsalted butter (1 1/4 sticks)
    * 1 cup unfiltered apple juice
    * 4 whole cloves, ground
    * 6 allspice berries, ground
    * 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    * 1 teaspoon ground ginger

* 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
    * 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    * 1 teaspoon baking soda
    * 1 teaspoon baking powder
    * 2 eggs
    * 1/4 to 1/2 cup toasted pecans, broken
    * Brandy for basting and/or spritzing

Directions

Combine dried fruits, candied ginger and both zests. Add rum and soak overnight.

Place fruit and liquid in a non-reactive pot with the sugar, butter, apple juice and spices. Bring mixture to a boil stirring often, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool for at least 15 minutes.

Heat oven to 325 degrees.

Combine dry ingredients and sift into fruit mixture. Quickly bring batter together with a large wooden spoon, then stir in eggs one at a time until completely integrated, then fold in nuts. Spoon into a 10-inch non-stick loaf pan and bake for 1 hour. Check for doneness by inserting toothpick into the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean, it's done. If not, bake another 10 minutes, and check again.

Remove cake from oven and place on cooling rack or trivet. Baste or spritz top with brandy and allow to cool completely before turning out from pan.

When cake is completely cooled, seal in a tight sealing, food safe container. Every 2 to 3 days, feel the cake and if dry, spritz with brandy. The cake's flavor will enhance considerably over the next two weeks.

8. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

9. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

That actually sounds quite good! I may have to try it. All I've ever had is the store bought variety - which of course, is why it has such a bad rep. Thanks, Ken.

10. Navaja

Navaja Member

This may not be a Fruit Cake, but you have to try it, perhaps you'd like it better. Good luck

Diplomatic Pudding (Pudin Diplomatico) recipe

Ingredients:
    1 lb bread, white or wheat
    1 cup raisins
    2 tsp dry white wine
    4 eggs
    1/2 cup slivered almonds
    1 cup sugar
    2 tsp vanilla
    1 pinch salt, optional
    1 12 oz can fruit cocktail (or make your own mixed fruit cocktail)
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    2 1/2 cups milk
    2 tsp brandy or Kahlua
    1 cup melted butter

Caramel to cover mold (*)

Preparation:
    In a food processor, finely chop the bread and place in a large bowl. Mix with the other ingredients including the fruit cocktail with its syrup. Stir well to be sure to dissolve the sugar. Place the mixture in a caramel covered mold (*).

Cook in oven at 375ยบ F for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry. Let cool before serving. Cut in small pieces.

(*) To line the mold with caramel:
    1/2 cup sugar
    a few drops (scant) water

Place mold on burner and dissolve sugar until it turns a nice light brown color. Rotate the mold to coat all sides and bottom with the caramel.

Serves 6

11. apswartz

apswartz New Member

And drink the rest of the rum while you are making it. It will help the fruit cake taste sooooooo much better, trust me. :happy102