Wanted to put Talc on wish list, until I read.....

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by southernscribbler, Dec 18, 2011.

1. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

Talc is suspected to have similar effects of asbestos? I Googled talcum powdered to find some places to buy some, and saw a few articles warning about the possible harm, especially to babies. Even though, most baby powders are mostly corn starch. I was really surprised after reading some of the articles. Then I thought, hey, I'm only going to use it every once in a while. I think I'll just have to take a pass and stick with the non-talc powders. Just wanted to share with anyone interested. Google it and see what you think.

2. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I can forget about using talc, because it can literally choke me.

3. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I use corn starch based powder but I've read that before. It seems to give the same effect as a coal miner's black lung. I can't see that happening unless you are so aggressive with the application that you turn the bathroom into a cloud of talcum daily.

4. southernscribbler

Yeah, I am inclined to agree, but the carcinogen word keeps me at bay, especially with so many safer alternatives out there.

5. scott wein

scott wein Well-Known Member

wow, i am a daily talc user. heading to google

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Soda will kill you, too, if you drink 43 cans a day for 26 years.

Okay. So I'm being way too sarcastic. My point is that I doubt the light dusting most folks use, even if daily, probably isn't really that serious.

7. scott wein

scott wein Well-Known Member

I am a lung disease survivor Steve. Cause to ponder

voice940 likes this.
  8. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

Use the knowledge to make an informed decision, not a knee-jerk reaction.

Do we really need to get into the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide again to make a point?

9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I think that for most users, a very small amount is O.K. If you are sensitive to dust, you may want to leave Talc alone.
    Just don't look like this when you apply it!

[​IMG]

burnout961, alpla444 and sol92258 like this.
  10. southernscribbler

I didn't post this to alarm anyone but to inform. I was surprised of what I found out after reading up on it. As I said, I still contemplated using it, but I am trying to "clean up my act" some by putting down the cigarettes, so I can actually see my grand kids grow up. Just didn't want to start another habit that may turn out to be harmful is all. I really don't think that a little talc applied once a day is going to kill me or any one else. Sorry to cause a stir.

GDCarrington likes this.
  11. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Don't quote me, but I swore they stopped making after shave powder for similar reasons.

12. FortWayneShaver

FortWayneShaver There's a tear in my beer

I am a user of Clubman Talc, usually about three or four times a week. I've asked my doctor if it is okay to use it, and he said that the concentration is so small that there is virtually no chance of it becoming carcinogenic, even if I were to use it everyday for the next fifty years. As long as it isn't ingested into the body (whether by eating it, which would be weird, or by huffing a huge amount of it daily) you will be fine.

13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Kids, please don't huff Talc! A public service message from The Shave Den!

youngunn, Monkeylord, Metro and 3 others like this.
  14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

If you are leery of using talc. cornstarch is fine. With a little effort, you can even scent it yourself, to customize. You need some cornstarch, a ziploc bag, some skin-safe essential or fragrance oil and a shaker. I use 3/4 cup of cornstarch to 1 teaspoon of scent & close it. Put them in the ziploc bag & close it. Rub the bag between your hands, gently, until there are no lumps. Then, transfer it to the container, in which you will use it. It's inexpensive and easy.

15. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Not exactly correct. *Some* talc deposits are/have been tainted with asbestos (they're just naturally that way). However, with modern manufacturing and processing, this should not be a worry. Either the asbestos is removed or non-tainted deposits are used to begin with. I wouldn't worry about anything from the US (possible exception for vintage talcs) and from a name brand. If you're going to buy talc in some 3rd world country, then buyer beware.

Cornstarch, to a point, if you're really worried can be something of an alternative. However, bacteria just love to munch on cornstarch. So, while you might be keeping yourself dry with cornstarch, you're also feeding the odor-causing bacteria. Maybe not the best option.

youngunn likes this.
  16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    May I suggest substituting talc with an Alum block.

17. JimPo42

JimPo42 Purported Hand-Shaver

From what I read it seems like the issue if from over exposure and breathing in quite a bit of it. I don't usually make it a point to huff the bottle and I'm not a miner either. I think richgem had it right with the whole modern manufacturing thing. Everywhere is so worried about stuff like that they probably filter it like crazy before you ever get your hands on it.

18. eyebright

eyebright New Member

Arrowroot based powders are a good substitute for talc AND cornstarch based powders, for this reason. Cornstarch is cheaper and more commonly available, but arrowroot starch doesn't support bacterial growth.

richgem and GDCarrington like this.
  19. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

My Grandfather used to drink at least a flat (24) of pepsi a day from his 20's until he passed away at the age of 79 from prostate cancer.

When I was a child and he was in his 50's or so he was one of first people in Canada to be diagnosed (or so I was told) with a legal cola addiction. Him and 2 other Canadians won a court case that changed regulation of the cola market in Canada.If I can find the info on the medical side and regulation changes I will post it.

My point is some people need to know the info so they can decide for themselves because not all products on the market even those that have been around for generations have had
    adiquit research done on there effects on the human body.

When talking about small portions of said elements those that have read up on what is considered poison from a homeopathic doctor or endocrinologist as small amounts over an extend period of time will due more damage in the long run then large amounts once or large amounts or an extended period of time.

An example of this can be seen by any one that takes a B-complex vitamins if the dose is to big your body rejects it then flushes it and it will turn your urine green but no side effects other than maybe flushed cheeks. If the dose is correct you will not notice anything until months or years down the road when your body has had time to absorbe the miniscule amounts so your body does not reject and it changes your body chemistry.

I am not a scientist but I have studied (on my own not schooled) homeopathy and that pointed me to many documentaries on endocrinology.I am willing to go out on a limb here and say that I have a feeling your better off looking like pig pen so your body can recognize what its in taking is a toxin and flush it as opposed to small amounts it will absorbe.

Will it stop some from using it maybe will it stop every one defiantly not, but part of the reason we are part of this forum is to be informed about our daily rituals.

Just a little food for thought Steve and Gary :) .

20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Bottom line is the Lord has our days numbered. He can take us whenever He wants.

gorgo2, nathan and PLANofMAN like this.