War of the Adjustables!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Michael_W, Oct 10, 2020.

?

Which Adjustable Razor Do You Prefer?

1. Gillette Fatboy/Slim/Other

37 vote(s)
    48.1%
  2. Merkur Progress

14 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Parker Variant

8 vote(s)
    10.4%
  4. PAA Ascension Twist-Adjustable Double Open Comb

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  5. Vikings Blade Emperor Augustus/Crusader/Meiji

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  6. Other (Comment Below)

29 vote(s)
    37.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mantic

mantic U TOOB

Late to this thread but I want to toss in my two cents. :) Anyone who's followed me for any length of time know I like adjustables. I have pretty much all of them (with just a few exceptions) and I even have one of Italian Barber's new adjustables on the way (though at $15 my expectations are not high).

• For pure sexiness (and great performance): Rex Ambassador
    • In frequent rotation: Parker Variant (after using a Merkur Progress for many years--the Variant addressed a lot of the little pet peeves I had with the Progress)
    • Vikings Blade Meiji: I like the look and it's held up well but the dual comb design annoys me
    • QShave Adjustable (Futur clone): I like it better than the Futur

BamaT, Edison Carter, Terry and 3 others like this.
  2. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

For teenage beginners an Adjustable is a great start. From my experience when I started shaving at age 15 with a mild beard. My new Gillette Slim at setting 3 with a Gillette Blue blade, gave me a great shave (with Dads guidance) As I got older and my beard filled in, the setting got gradually higher and the blade sharper and my technique was perfected, until I settled on setting 7 with a Wilkinson Sword Blade for many years, Usually getting a BBS when I was able to take my time shaving. Recently the setting went down to a 5 with an Astra blade. So an Adjustable razor does become a necessity especially when you make a choice of 1 razor to use. Imagine one adjustable razor lasting nearly 60 years of daily shaving that I still use and still works and looks great. I will admit that since joining The Shave Den and other Forums I have acquired over 50 razors both mild and aggressive, I'm getting to like the variety of different type razors, mostly the 3 pieces, especially my Weber PH.

Michael_W and wristwatchb like this.
  3. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Hi Mark!
    Read your blog all the time.
    Please post something on your opinion on that razor.

Now I like really efficient razors.
    I am using a razor (pass around) that is more a kin to a shavette than a DE.
    But I like to have all sorts of gear.
    Thanks!
    I look for it on your blog.
    tp

Edison Carter, Michael_W and brit like this.
  4. mantic

mantic U TOOB

I assume you mean my opinion of the IB Adjustable. I got it last week and have used it several times. Performance-wise I like it: while the adjustment "window" is not as wide as others, and the head is larger than most (though not as large as a Futur or Qshave), it shaves me really well. Of course, long-term durability is going to be a question mark.... In any case, I'll have a review up soon.

Terry and Michael_W like this.
  5. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Thanks!

tp

6. Mark Tyers

Mark Tyers Member

I’m going to throw in a curve ball. How about the soviet Ambassador razor? I’ve got one, it’s a copy of the Gillette Slim Adjustable but heavier and shinier. It’s also a great shaver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bird Lives, Enrico and Michael_W like this.
  7. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I have 9 adjustables. The Fatboy is still the one I wouldn't want to live without. The Progress isn't far behind, and the Rex and Ascension are two that I wouldn't want to let go of either.

Enrico and Michael_W like this.
  8. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

A brilliant shave. Smooth & efficient performing. I’ve had this razor for a little over a year now and I’m just simply amazed at how good it performs but, just as importantly is how good a job of R&D that HomelikeShaving went through to get it right on it’s first go round. A testament to their creative abilities and excellent design/craftsmanship acumen. I can’t attest for the Ti version or any of the later releases though there have been concerns with markings & etchings that have not been of better quality or should I say poorly done. And that is something I don’t blame a consumer for complaining about when your shelling out top dollar for a product that is made and marketed to last a lifetime. On that end that is poor Q/C and HomelikeShaving should take note on that and make proper modifications or adjustments to their finishing procedures. Nonetheless, for me it has been one of the best adjustables that I’ve tried to date baring the Rocnel Sailor Series of razors in which is meticulously crafted with reviews from satisfied customers to back it up. Truth be told, I’ve been debating with meself on picking one up (2021 Sailor) with such a limited number of them being produced. It’s an itch I know that I’m going to have to scratch sooner more than later. Obligations at home though have tempered my impetuousness in acquiring anything as of late.

But, in the meantime I’m more than happy to keep moving along with my Taiga. Yes, it’s a magnificent tool and there are a few others that are packed tightly right behind it such as the Gibbs, Vision & Rex that I enjoy as well....

EB7FF596-29E8-4429-9751-E5FF2EDE30CC.jpeg

Tdmsu, Michael_W and Edison Carter like this.
  9. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Recently bought the Weishi Adjustable Black and I must say I am impressed with it. handle has the approximate thickness of a Gillette Fatboy, nice weight, length of a Gillette BB with a very good balance, quality build. As far as longevity ???? Don't know what materials its made of though. Out of 5 shaves got 5 BBS. Defiantly will not replace it in for my Slim, Fatboy or BB but it will be in my rotation.

Michael_W likes this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I have my remaining adjustables in a To Be Sold box. Once somebody here got it through my thick head that I can minutely adjust the tightness of head or doors on any non-adjustable DE, mimicking some degree of adjustable variance, I realized that I don't need them anymore.

Michael_W likes this.
  11. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

I have been through a number of adjustable razors over the last few years, about five. All are gone now, except for the very 1st one I bought and still use, almost daily. That people, is my Merkur Progress, the short one. IMHO, it is the best adjustable out there. It's not a cheapy, but it does not cost an arm & a leg, to own, either!

Michael_W and Enrico like this.
  12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Still enjoying my 58' Fat Boy.

:eatdrink013:

Michael_W likes this.
  13. Nem22

Nem22 Well-Known Member

Sans aucun doute le futur Merkur. Efficace du toutWithout a doubt the Future Merkur. Effective at all settings

Tdmsu, Michael_W and Enrico like this.
  14. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

I've since added the Ascension Select adjustable from PAA and the Weishi Nostalgic adjustable to my collection. I'm not a fan of the Weishi in terms of its blade alignment, which seems rather a bit of work getting right because of the way in which it was manufactured, That said, the weight of the razor relative to its thickness surprised me! I think if Weishi manages to work out the problems in the head, it could be a great addition to the family of adjustable safety razors. The Ascension Select, of course, is sheer engineering brilliance, and the flare tip (which is purely ornamental) can be swapped out for one of the seven or so color options now available, I got the burnt orange flare tip and it now adorns the end of my Ascension Select. I also love the gun metal finish.

15. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

I have a bunch of razors, vintage and modern.

If I was to keep only one it would be my '58 Fatboy. That and a good supply of Gillette Silver Blue blades and I'd be all set.

Now with aftershaves I need a variety!

Michael_W, Enrico and brit like this.
  16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs011:

Michael_W and brit like this.
  17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

New Rockwell T2 v Apollo Mikron Mk2. Both excellent razors. [​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

18. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

I like all the Gillette Adjustables, but of the modern era I have only used the Ascension. The one I grab most often, is actually my Schick Adjustable.

Michael_W, IAmTheJody and brit like this.
  19. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

My favorites are the Gillette Black Beauty long-handle and the Ming Shih (Merkur Progress knock-off).
    I tried the Parker Variant, but it was too heavy for me and I go a lot of nicks. (Sold it off quickly.)

Bird Lives, Michael_W, Enrico and 2 others like this.
  20. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I've used a Futur, Vision, Rockwell Model T, and now a T2. I think of all of them I like the Futur the best, but any will give a great shave.

Michael_W likes this.