War of the Adjustables!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Michael_W, Oct 10, 2020.

?

Which Adjustable Razor Do You Prefer?

1. Gillette Fatboy/Slim/Other

11 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Merkur Progress

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  3. Parker Variant

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
  4. PAA Ascension Twist-Adjustable Double Open Comb

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  5. Vikings Blade Emperor Augustus/Crusader/Meiji

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  6. Other (Comment Below)

12 vote(s)
    38.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mantic

mantic U TOOB

Late to this thread but I want to toss in my two cents. :) Anyone who's followed me for any length of time know I like adjustables. I have pretty much all of them (with just a few exceptions) and I even have one of Italian Barber's new adjustables on the way (though at $15 my expectations are not high).

• For pure sexiness (and great performance): Rex Ambassador
    • In frequent rotation: Parker Variant (after using a Merkur Progress for many years--the Variant addressed a lot of the little pet peeves I had with the Progress)
    • Vikings Blade Meiji: I like the look and it's held up well but the dual comb design annoys me
    • QShave Adjustable (Futur clone): I like it better than the Futur

Edison Carter, Terry, Leo K. and 2 others like this.
  2. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

For teenage beginners an Adjustable is a great start. From my experience when I started shaving at age 15 with a mild beard. My new Gillette Slim at setting 3 with a Gillette Blue blade, gave me a great shave (with Dads guidance) As I got older and my beard filled in, the setting got gradually higher and the blade sharper and my technique was perfected, until I settled on setting 7 with a Wilkinson Sword Blade for many years, Usually getting a BBS when I was able to take my time shaving. Recently the setting went down to a 5 with an Astra blade. So an Adjustable razor does become a necessity especially when you make a choice of 1 razor to use. Imagine one adjustable razor lasting nearly 60 years of daily shaving that I still use and still works and looks great. I will admit that since joining The Shave Den and other Forums I have acquired over 50 razors both mild and aggressive, I'm getting to like the variety of different type razors, mostly the 3 pieces, especially my Weber PH.

wristwatchb likes this.
  3. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Hi Mark!
    Read your blog all the time.
    Please post something on your opinion on that razor.

Now I like really efficient razors.
    I am using a razor (pass around) that is more a kin to a shavette than a DE.
    But I like to have all sorts of gear.
    Thanks!
    I look for it on your blog.
    tp

Edison Carter, Michael_W and brit like this.
  4. mantic

mantic U TOOB

I assume you mean my opinion of the IB Adjustable. I got it last week and have used it several times. Performance-wise I like it: while the adjustment "window" is not as wide as others, and the head is larger than most (though not as large as a Futur or Qshave), it shaves me really well. Of course, long-term durability is going to be a question mark.... In any case, I'll have a review up soon.

Terry and Michael_W like this.
  5. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Thanks!

tp

6. Mark Tyers

Mark Tyers Member

I’m going to throw in a curve ball. How about the soviet Ambassador razor? I’ve got one, it’s a copy of the Gillette Slim Adjustable but heavier and shinier. It’s also a great shaver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro