Watches - let's see 'em

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by gorgo2, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Not Telling

Not Telling Member

Some very nice watches, guys.

@raag, go for the Timex Weekender. I've owned one now for about a year - cream face. Love it. Really great kick-around watch. It's not a diver, but then again, neither am I. I just wanted something, with a vintage feel, accurate (the quartz Timex is more accurate than my Omega) and with enough water resistance to allow me to take it swimming. The Timex Weekender fit the bill. In fact, I've just ordered a black-face model a couple of days ago and a couple of extra NATOs to go with it (seal brown leather G10 and a Grey Zulu)

Here's mine on an Aussie stockman's covered watchband -

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My others are an Omega Aqua Terra GMT on a leather NATO which I wear mainly when talking to self-important people and a Casio G-Shock Mudman on an Olive NATO band.

2. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

IMAG0101.jpg
    Another of my favorites , Citizen eco drive chronograph, used almost daily!!!

3. Falcon43

Falcon43 Active Member

I wore wrist watches for years. I always gravitated to ones with analog faces (yes I am old fashioned). I have worn one every day from the time i was in kindergarden. The problem I have is that due to work I kept breaking them. My solution was to go to pocket watches. It took some time to get used to not having it on my wrist but now I can't see going back. My ultimate goal is to get a key wound antique.

Not Telling likes this.
  4. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Mine is a Wenger Swiss Military field watch, and the only extra is a date window. My next one won't have that function because as time goes by it's getting harder to see that little number. I really don't understand why everything has moved to the 3 dial chronograph style.

5. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

My watch is usually my cell phone. But on the times I do wear watches, it's when I dress up or if I get a wild hair. I have a nice Adidas watch that my aunt and uncle gave me for a graduation present. It has a leather band and fits pretty snug. The other one is a Fossil watch. It has a big square shaped head and a thick leather band. My problem with watches is that I can't find one that fits and usually slides on my arm.

6. Not Telling

Not Telling Member

Yep, that's the catch ;) if you develop an unhealthy fascination with aftermarket watch bands you'll come up with some which fit.

On a whim tonight I was browsing Amazon and bought a very nicely priced Seiko 5 field watch - Automatic with a satin brushed finish case and a black dial. Even has an exhibition caseback so you can see the auto movement ticking away. It was a bargain at AUD $74 shipped - usually they retail here for approx $200. I'll post some pics when I receive it.

Since I DO have an unhealthy fascination with watch bands :), I grabbed an 18mm russet brown leather NATO G10 band and an olive drab nylon NATO G10 band. Along with the original black band, that should cover all the bases. No, wait... need to get a brushed stainless steel bracelet band for it too ;)

The Seiko 5 (model SNK809)
    [​IMG]

18mm Leather NATO
    [​IMG]

18mm OD Nylon NATO
    [​IMG]

Slipperyjoe, Switchermike and gorgo2 like this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

THAT is a tough looking watch! Is it low-glare crystal, by chance?

emmijack likes this.
  8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Horrible pics of four recent, cheap acquisitions.

[​IMG]

1. Unknown Big Lots $8 digital with replacement silicone band off of the 'Bay. Lots of alarm features I can access easily since I'm always using timers at work.

2. Timex Quartz, circa 1970. Runs like a champ.

3. Skagen dress watch my wife found at the antique mall for $25 (a steal). My b-day gift and my new fav.

[​IMG]

4. No name Big Lots $4 digital. Near weightless, waterproof, Indiglo and all silicone construction (I like silicone; very soft and non-irritating).

Switchermike and Not Telling like this.
  9. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Last week I bought this Tissot quartz retrograde ts retrograde.jpg

10. Keithmax

and this cool 'retro' hand wind favre-leuba.jpg

11. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Right now I am sporting this Fossil. It's not the fanciest by any means but it can take the beatings I tend to give watches.

uploadfromtaptalk1351469125954.jpg

12. Not Telling

Not Telling Member

Sadly, there's no AR (anti-reflective) coating on the crystal. However, this hasn't proven to be too much on an issue since it's a reasonably high contrast, white indices on black, dial.

After trying it on the original nylon band, on nylon NATO G10 bands and on leather NATO G10 bands, I've decided I prefer it on the stockman's band (excuse the bad phone photos).

[​IMG]

Here's the aforementioned Timex Weekender on an 18mm leather NATO - note that these look better and more in proportion on an 18mm band than on the recommended 20mm band.
    [​IMG]

My basic watch rotation - nothing really spectacular, but I wear them often. L to R (top) - Cheap and nasty Gruen quartz oversized submariner (42mm inc crown) on a 20mm grey Zulu NATO. Although it's nasty, it's a reliable quartz and has survived multiple dunkings - great beater. Next is an Omega Aqua-Terra GMT automatic (40mm inc crown) on a 20mm German-made leather G10 NATO which I have "vintagized". Next is a standard base model Casio G-Shock Mudman with homemade band adapters on a black 20mm G10 NATO. Next to that is the Seiko 5 automatic field watch on a heavy-duty leather stockman's band with swiveling cover. IMO the Seiko, being such a small watch, is well suited to wearing on a bund style band like the stockman's. L to R (bottom) Pair of 38mm Timex Weekenders. Black face Weekender on a russet brown 18mm leather G10 Nato. Cream face Weekender on a seal brown 18mm leather G10 Nato. I prefer the cream face watch. Both are rated water resistant for washing up, rain, showering, surface swimming, etc. But will most likely survive snorkelling and pool diving as well. Mine has been whitewater kayaking and has Eskimo rolled without issue.

[​IMG]

battle.munky, gorgo2 and Switchermike like this.
  13. R33F

R33F Well-Known Member

bought my Seiko Kinetic new in 1999.

The only time its not worn is when it takes a trip to the jewelers for cleaning.

There are two scratches in the glass that have appeared over the past decade or so. One day I will order a new glass.

It provides the two things I require from a watch: consistency & predictability ;)

Attached Files:

battle.munky, Not Telling and gorgo2 like this.
  14. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Had one of the bug name watches , bought it new from a jewelry store that was run by a friend. Long story short after sending it back3-4 times we got it down to losing 3-4 seconds a month. The company rep told my friend to tell me"a _____ is a chronometer if he want perfect time buy a digital Timex"!

Not Telling likes this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I like your taste in watches but I really like your taste in leather bands. Some of them look quite (handsomely) distressed...from normal wear or did you help it along for the look? Or do they come like that?

Not Telling likes this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I don't think you'll offend anyone if you tell the name...and might be doing us a favor!

17. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Darn this thread has me looking at watches again ;) Considering I've now moved on to Timex number 3 in the last 12 months, I'm starting to wonder if a Seiko 5 or Orange Monster will fare better. Their budget priced automatics have rave reviews almost everywhere.

Not Telling likes this.
  18. Not Telling

Not Telling Member

He's quite right. Chronometers are machines with with teeny-weeny parts which can wear out, be over or under lubricated, become unbalanced, etc. The "power reserve" (amount of time it keeps ticking when left on the bedside table) on the Omega is only about 36 hours, then it needs winding and date resetting. Don't get me wrong, I love mechanical watches for the simple fact that I have a finely crafted MACHINE on my wrist, but for accuracy, robustness and practicality the best watch in my limited stable is a G-Shock Mudman digital.

If you prefer the classic look of an analogue watch then go for a quartz if you just want something which will tick away for two years until the battery dies. ANY quartz will do, as long as it looks good and is robust enough for your purposes - you can grab a $12 Gruen macro-submariner quartz off Amazon or a $3000 Omega Seamaster quartz direct from Switzerland - functionally they are identical.

Wearing and using mechanical watches to me is like shaving with a straight. Maybe it's not the most convenient way, but you certainly can get a kick and a sense of satisfaction out of doing it.

Thanks gorgo.

Most of the leather bands are naturally distressed just by soaking in warm water to stretch/mould them to my wrist shape (wear it dry) and then just through normal wear. The 20mm leather NATO G10 on the Omega is a German-made band which is supposed to be a russet brown colour. Took me a while to realise that it's actually lower grade suede which was painted with a finish mimicking tanned leather. I rubbed it down with sandpaper to get the paint off and then soaked it in mineral oil for a couple of days. When it dried off, it looked like smooth distressed suede. I feel like I was ripped off by the German dude, but I like the end product.

The stockman's band has an interesting finish on it from brake fluid when I was bleeding the clutch on the old FJ40 Landcruiser. It stiffened up some, but a good wash with soap and water plus a rub down with boot Dubbin brought it back to where it should be. Brake fluid and leather don't mix :)

19. Keithmax

This thread is a bad influence, just when I finally slowed down the impulses to buy shaving stuff.... I admit I did just order some QCS products but then I started searching watches...

20. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

That's precisely why a large number of Swiss companies have started offering Swiss Quartz as a movement - people sometimes demand accuracy of around 1 second loss/gain per year instead of the 1-5 seconds per month for Mechanical and Automatic watches. Ideally high end Swiss movements need to be serviced once per year in which case the horologist will calibrate the movement after lubricating the parts and you'll be back to perfect time in no time. The only reasons I've been looking at mechanical or auto movements is the fact I guarantee you that my battery WILL die when I'm on exercise, or deployed. That and I tend to shatter Timex faces like there is no tomorrow, it's starting to get really annoying.

Time to hunt for something hefty with a sapphire crystal methinks. Or whatever they're tossing in the Seiko 5's nowadays.