Watches - let's see 'em

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by gorgo2, Aug 9, 2012.

1. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

Black Monster!!! An old one too. The orange monster was the watch that took me down the rabbit hole collecting watches...

Eeyore likes this.
  2. jay_gatz

Today was the SLA019. Number 852/1968. Figured since I don't have a birth year razor, I could have a birth year watch. Seriously, I bought this watch to flip, as the local Seiko dealer gave me a deal, and I figured I could make a profit. Never used the Seiko band, it still has the plastic on it. Used the Seiko dive band (black silicone) to try it on for a bit, that was a mistake. Three years later, and...It's one of my favorite watches. Keeps great time, has an undecorated Grand Seiko Movement, so what's not to love. Band is a strap code "Angus".

SLA019.jpg SLA019 Lume.jpg

Keithmax, 9nein9, gorgo2 and 6 others like this.
  3. jay_gatz

I hope that didn't come across as crass. I like that model with the 7S26 movement. Sure, it doesn't hack, but we paid around $200 on amazon a decade ago and they are going on e bay for $600+ dollars...

Keithmax likes this.
  4. jay_gatz

Homage to the Citizen 8110 Bullhead Chronograph by Detroit Mint. Yes, it's quartz, the only one that isn't for working in the yard, but I like it and it makes me channel my inner Cliff Booth when I have to beat up hippies :rofl: ...besides, it's nearly impossible to find a decent example in the US, and vintage watches can be like vintage cars.

Bullhead.jpg

9nein9, gorgo2, GatorJoe and 5 others like this.
  5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Keeps perfect time, tough as nails, excellent lume, nerdy 80's vibe -> perfect everyday watch. Set me back about $35 a few years ago. I hope my descendants like wearing it as much as I do.

1.jpg

Keithmax, 9nein9, gorgo2 and 7 others like this.
  6. Xring3

Xring3 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Keithmax, 9nein9, gorgo2 and 6 others like this.
  7. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

IMG_20210909_160451.jpg

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    Keithmax, 9nein9, gorgo2 and 5 others like this.
  8. Xring3

Xring3 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Keithmax, 9nein9, Eeyore and 4 others like this.
  9. Daywalker

Daywalker Active Member

For around 50 bucks you could buy a mod case+strap off AliExpress and upgrade it to a stainless steel version.
    Just saying.

There are nice modding tutorials on YT (Techsas, watchNcarry) for the classic Casio F-91w, A158, A168 and AE1200/AE1300 and others as well. Nice cheap beater watches.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    Keithmax, gorgo2 and wristwatchb like this.
  10. wristwatchb

Thanks for the info. So far I haven't gone down the rabbit hole of modding watches. AliExpress also has some cool looking watches with auto movements starting around $100.

I kinda like the basic G because it flies under the radar, and it makes a great travel or work watch. I don't mind pulling it off my wrist and letting kids bounce it on the floor. I wouldn't lose much sleep if it got lost, stolen, or damaged. I'd just get one to replace it. I've lugged this one to a few places where I wouldn't take some of my other watches. In other words, it fills a nice spot in my watch rotation.

Keithmax, 9nein9 and Daywalker like this.
  11. Xring3

Xring3 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Keithmax, 9nein9, Eeyore and 6 others like this.
  12. wristwatchb

First watch belonged to my sweet Mother-In-Law. Got it all cleaned up over the weekend and removed the battery for long-term storage.

Second watch belonged a dear Uncle. A few years ago, I had it restored. It was manufactured in 1961. I save this one for church and special occasions.

2.jpg

3.jpg

Keithmax, 9nein9, gorgo2 and 5 others like this.
  13. Xring3

Xring3 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

9nein9, Eeyore, jtspartan and 4 others like this.
  14. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Fossil Carlyle HR Gen 5 WearOS

IMG_20210914_191839_resize_12.jpg

GatorJoe, Keithmax, 9nein9 and 5 others like this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Gorgeous Bulova, WWB.

wristwatchb likes this.
  16. wristwatchb

Keithmax, 9nein9 and gorgo2 like this.
  17. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Thats at least a 3 generation watch right there Charlie!

wristwatchb likes this.
  18. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Это как раз от матушки России. Восток амфибия акваланг чувак.
    20210917_184634.jpg

19. wristwatchb

Thanks Patrick. I'll probably pass down a few dozen pucks of Tabac along with it. ;)

9nein9 likes this.
  20. wristwatchb

Really like the design and colors on the Vostok, Patrick. That one is tempting.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    9nein9 likes this.