WB restore

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by denmason, Nov 11, 2007.

1. denmason

denmason Uncle Dennis

Here's a few shots of an old Wade & Butcher I had laying around. The scales are Cocobolo (book matched) with brass spacer and brass pins. Lost the etching on the blade, but can see if you look hard enough. Honed an stropped and passes the HHT :cool:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Padron

Padron Active Member

Wow,

It looks great Dennis, the scales are very nice. I love that style blade...wedge looks great too..:D

Very nice, Congrats :drool:drool

3. CatMan

CatMan Member

Very nice job, Dennis! Well done!
    What I keep wondering when I see those kind of restorations, where do you guys get those exotic woods? Any not so expensive source you'd like to share?

4. denmason

denmason Uncle Dennis

Hey CatMan, Here's a link where I've bought some of the woods I use. I try to get the pool cue blanks and cut them up on the band saw. http://www.woodworkerssource.net/

5. CatMan

CatMan Member

Thank you, Dennis!

6. denmason

denmason Uncle Dennis

You'll laugh at the email you get from them if you order something.

7. CatMan

CatMan Member

8. denmason

denmason Uncle Dennis

It would not be fair or funny to tell you. But they do have some good prices. I've bought many pieces from them and had no problems at all.

9. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

Man, that's pretty! Excellent workmanship. I really like it. I would only change but one thing. I always make sure the wedge has some taper, especially with the thicker blades. Unless the difference in wedge thickness and blade thickness are no more than a 2:1 ratio. Otherwise, there is too much ass placed just above the wedge AND also near the shoulder of the blade when it enters the scales. A double whammy. (Too much ass is not swearing. It simply means it's been cranked down too much)

If you have a 1/4 inch blade and a flat 3/32 wedge, you can really see the wood tweak when the blade opens and closes, especially with a pronounced tapered tang. It won't hurt plastic or celluloid as much, but the hardwoods won't hold up for very long without becoming loose at the pivot or cracking/splitting somewhere.

10. denmason

denmason Uncle Dennis

Thanks Bill, I understand what you mean. I once had a girlfriend with the same problem, but this will be an easier fix. :rofl The wedge is also a bit too heavy and makes the razor a tail-dragger (see 2nd sentence above :rolleyes:) I will be popping the pin and re-working the wedge today. I know this will prolly open a can of worms, as the holes may not line up cleanly afterwards. But I can whip out another pair of scales in about an hour. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for your input Bill, it's nice to have someone with experience looking over your shoulder. And it's nice to have everyone else give their input as well, ya gotta love the ooooo's and aaaaahh's. I'm hoping Santa Claus brings me one of those fancy belt sanders I've been eyeballing lately...$$$$