Weekly Chat: Florida Water Cologne

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Corey, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Corey

Corey Member

Ah, Florida Water, where do I even begin? Near the beginning of my journey into DE shaving, I spent some time looking through the extensive list of scents available for the products in the TSD store. Florida water stood out, not because it seemed like it would smell good, but because, as a resident of South Florida, my mind tended to think of stinky swamp on a hot and humid afternoon. The more I thought of bathing in the murk of the Everglades, the more comical it seemed to be. Still, I couldn't help but be wonder. A little bit of research here and across the street had me curious about the stuff. There seemed to be quite a loyal following around it.

Fate would have me cross paths with Lanman and Kemp Florida Water Cologne while looking for shampoo at the local CVS. Sitting next to the lowly selection of overpriced hair care products, hidden in with other cheap looking plastic bottles of brightly colored quackery was a nice selection of 7.5 ounce Lanman and Kemp Florida Water, all for the princely sum of $2.79. How could I pass this up?

So, here I am, two months in, down half a bottle of Florida Water, and still on the fence. Depending on the day, the smell is either refreshingly pleasant, or borderline overwhelming. Do I enjoy the herbal tones, the hints of citrus, and the refreshing feeling left on the skin? Or am I revolted by the Pine Sol smell and the way the pleasant sting can quickly turn into an annoying dull burn? Truly, this schizophrenic concoction needs further study. So I went right to the source and scoped out Lanmen and Kemp's Website.

So here, my friends, is my pseudo-scientific review, based on all the magical things that it's claimed to do:

I haven't fit in a bath tub in almost two decades, so the bath tub is out. We'll pass on this one.

There does seem to be a glow, though my layer of winter insulation seems to block obscure the muscles. So glowing skin, yes. Toning muscles, no.

Ah yes, something more in line with what I'm interested in. It does indeed leave the skin feeling fresh in most instances. I've been going between this and my current favorite, C.O. Bigelow Rose Water Tonic, since getting the Florida Water. The Florida Water leaves my skin feeling a little tighter, though my preference still trends towards the Rose Water. Still, an effective post shave splash, unless you have a bad shave. Then it's an uncomfortable burn that never seems to end.

You hear that, fastidious women? A scent for you! On my lazy days I've given this a try, splashing a little Florida Water under the pits to act as a deodorant and test the abilities. It works surprisingly well, though these tests have been short. Would it hold up under 12 hours of work? I don't know. I'm not sure the people I come into contact with would appreciate a failed test.

Something tells me that my bosses would not appreciate me brining this to the hospital and sprinkling it in the ER rooms. God knows there are occasions when I would love to douse a stinky room and smelly patients in this stuff, especially during the event of a Code Brown. Alas, it will remain untried but oft-dreamed of.

See above. Though next time I catch something, I'll try to remember to give this a go.

Ah yes, another use that is near and dear to me. This does, indeed, seem to work quite well. I was skeptical at first, but using this as a preshave has produced some fine results. I don't use it as often as I should, as I tend to hop in the shower when I'm dead tired and forget to bring it in with me (yes, I'm a shower shaver), but when I do, it's quite effective.

To me, this is the meat and potatoes. This was the reason I bought the stuff, to use as an aftershave, and as previously touched on, it's mostly an effective product. It gives a nice tingling feeling and actually feels like it's doing something near magical. But, unlike some other aftershaves, it seems to really make you pay if you happen to have a lapse in technique and come out with a rough shave. That pleasant tingle turns into an extended dull burn.

I'll have to write this down for after a stressful day. Unfortunately, after a stressful day, the last thing I think about is using Florida Water Cologne. Maybe I'll remember for next time.

Surprisingly effective. This is going to come in handy as the Mosquitoes start coming out in droves with the wet season fast approaching.

Seems appropriate that, living in Florida, this Florida Water Cologne may be able to alleviate the heat. It seems to do some good, though it'll never replace the truly magical touch of air conditioning.

Since this gets used as an aftershave and a after shower rub, this would be the expected side effect. I do find that the scent has some staying power, and I tend to avoid using cologne/EDT when I use Florida Water. Thankfully, the scent seems to be pretty well received by those around me, so it's a workable option.

There are other things listed, but they tend to be redundant stuff covered already. One other use not mentioned on the site, but mentioned everywhere else is the use of Florida Water Cologne in the Latin American and Caribbean as a way to ward off spirits from the home. After a few sprinkles around the apartment, I can happily report that this place remains spirit free.

So there you have it. The magical, mystical, Florida Water Cologne. Most of the time it's a pleasant smelling and effective aftershave/skin/toner/muscle relaxer/do-it-all wonder potion. At such a cheap price and somewhat readily available (in the US at least), I recommend that everyone pick up a bottle and give some of the many uses a go. The scent is different, but has definitely grown on me, remaining pleasant and refreshing for a majority of the time. But every now and then it's a disagreeable splash. Must be the evil spirits.

[​IMG]

Amalia likes this.
  2. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Great review. As a Florida Native myself, I've been wanting to try it but hadn't found it locally yet.

3. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

Great review! I have only found one place in Atlanta that carries it-an off priced large grocery story, but I didnt fork over the $3 and change for the bottle b/c I didnt know if I would like it? Its on the other side of town to. I thought the scent was quite pleasant:) I will pick some up if I am ever in the neck of woods again though. I will like to add that it is available at the TSD store:)

4. Gelf Lover

Gelf Lover Member

That is an awesome review. I got a sample of Joanna's Florida Water Cologne based off of a recommendation and I loved the smell of it. Now I have her splash as well as a bottle of Murray & Lanman's. I can tell a ever so slight difference between the 2, but not enough to care.

I had no idea that there were so many uses for it. My wife gets tore up by all kinds of bugs so I'll get her to try that next time.

I uses baths during the colder months to help restore circulation and relieve pain. Since I love the smell of it, I would think it would make it a more enjoyable experience.

5. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

It's just wonderful stuff and one of my favorites. I'll always have some available and now that I know about all the rest of its assets, there's even more reason to have it around.

6. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Very entertaining review Corey. Nice job. I kept hearing that Wal Greens sells this stuff, but haven never found it locally. I've always been intrigued by the "busy" label and odd shaped bottle if nothing else. Some day I'll come across a bottle and pick it up.

Thanks again.

7. ClubmanRob

ClubmanRob New Member

I still say it smells like bathroom cleanser... :D

Joanna's version is a marked improvement over the M&L formula.

8. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreally...

ill have to look into this. i love M&L.

9. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Murray and Lanman's Florida Water is indeed an amazing product. I myself had considerable trouble finding it locally (imagine not being able to find Florida Water in Florida) so I went to the Lanman and Kemp site and bought it directly and in bulk.

Little did I know that would be the beginiing of a beautiful friendship. As their literature states, it is not just an aftershave or cologne.

Shaving wise, I certainly use it in the cologne role but I've also found that as a pre-shave it's good too. I put a couple good dashes of it in my sink water before I throw my brush in. After my shower I dry of my face and apply Florida Water. It airs down some while I build my lather. I've used this pre-shave routine for a month or so and really like it.

Much to my surprise, SWMBO also jumped on the Florida Water band wagon, she often adds it to bath water or rubs it on tired feet after a hard day at work.

Medicinally, it also works quite well on insect bites. When my grandson comes to visit he sometimes has big nasty mosquito bites. A dab of Florida Water fixes them right up (no kidding). He's also a big fan of it in bath water.

Fellas, this stuff is magic and I doubt I'll ever be without at least one bottle. It's very affordable too. You can get twelve 7.5 ounce bottles for about $30

10. RABIDMONKEY

RABIDMONKEY Active Member

but IM in florida.......

I live in jacksonville florida and i cant find this stuff .......Id love to try it,anyone found this in the jacksonville florida area >

11. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Go to the side of town where the hoodoo stores are and you hall find it... or the bodega / Santeria stores

12. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

I buy mine at a hole in the wall, Mom and Pop Mexican Grocery store.

13. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

My local hole in the wall Mexican Mom and Pop closed recently! I had stocked up on FW and went for more only to find them closed.

There is a flea market in Bradenton that has a Santeria supply shop. they have all kinds of interesting colognes, including FW...although a tad pricey!

14. bcatl

bcatl New Member

You can even buy it at some Walmarts today. That's where I found my last bottle.

You get a "good" alcohol burn from Florida Water that's for sure!

But it's a true American classic.

15. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

And don't forget to menthoate the stuff. Holey Ship is it good mentholated :) !

16. AwNix

AwNix Member

Bought a bottle off Amazon yesterday for a little over 5 dollars. Can't wait to try it out! Every review I've read says it smells like something different. If you look on Google they have a bunch of amazing old Victorian ads.
    [​IMG]