Well THIS is a fine mess I've gotten myself into.

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Michael_W, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

Over on the 'bay I have a spectacularly restored Dubl Duck with pearl handle on reserve until my next payday, which falls on the 9th of August, for $150. But when I was visiting a local antique shop yesterday while killing time before a movie, I happened upon a pair of straights—one a vintage Boker and the other an English make, with the total price tag for both being over a hundred twenty. I put them on layaway for ten bucks, but I may actually ask to see if I can exchange them for a vintage Gillette three-piece that is in superb condition and comes with its own metal case.

At any rate, I've been longing for a good Dubl Duck and I don't want to pass up the opportunity to get one, especially one that's in as good condition as what's indicated by the pictures on the 'bay. The other two can definitely use some restoration—both need cleaning and some rust removal, and the scale on the Boker is broken on one side at the end. But both razors come with their original cases, hence their higher price.

If I have to, I'll eat the ten bucks on the other straights, but I really want that Dubl Duck. Between that and my Wusthof, which needs restoration after stupidly letting it rust from staying wet one night, I'd be happy as a clam. But I think I am in the throes of R.A.D. on straights for the moment, ha ha!

2. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Not sure what you mean by this? On eBay you have two days to pay for an item. I've never heard of anyone putting something on "reserve " for nearly two weeks. And why say "on the 'bay" why not just say eBay if that is what you are talking about?

3. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Just go to one of those cash advance places in the seedy part of town.

Then you don’t have to wait for your next paycheck.

AGHisBBS, Spyder, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

The way I've lived for over 20 years is: if you can't pay it off immediately, you cannot afford it. I don't do credit cards. We only use credit cards on vacations, then pay them off when the vacation is over, in one lump sum, after we make sure all charges are legitimate.

AGHisBBS, Spyder, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  5. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

ADS suck.
    But.....

AGHisBBS, brit, Enrico and 4 others like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Know your limits and stick to them.

7. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I gotta go with this. IMO, shaving is almost as superficial of a hobby as a man can have. Don’t get me wrong, I go Imelda Marcos sometimes, but never at the expense of anything else. If you can’t buy it outright, don’t. Even the concept of shorting oneself over shaving crap is surreal to me when you can buy a year’s worth of good shaves for $50.

AGHisBBS, Spyder, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  8. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I like it. Maybe I could get 30 DC points if Tony Soprano broke my knees over a shaving brush.

AGHisBBS, Spyder, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  9. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

Sell plasma?

Briscoe, AGHisBBS, Spyder and 5 others like this.
  10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Watching in sick fascination! :rofl:

AGHisBBS, Keithmax, PLANofMAN and 2 others like this.
  11. Michael_W

I got in touch with the seller and made arrangements, so I will definitely pay for the Dubl Duck when my next paycheck arrives. It's a Gold Edge, so I don't want to pass up the opportunity.

12. brit

brit in a box

i have used a little credit from time to time for those one off 1/2 price aristocrat deals. only live once as they say.but only at the expense of eating out less or less beer a week. i don t travel or build hot rods anymore. i bought most of my cool gear when i had my business.if you gotta have it make sure its worth a little suffering for.
    i also sell razors i don t want, to pay for the ones i do....

Karl G, DaltonGang, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  13. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

My dad taught me interest is to be earned, not paid.

I did for 2 years in college. Helped pay the bills and save money, it takes less beer when your down a pint. It also cured my fear of needles.

Linuxguile, Jrdelgado, Enrico and 2 others like this.
  14. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :signs011:

brit and Karl G like this.
  15. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Two beat down Straights that NEED restore for $120 doesn't sound like a great deal to me

I guess I would need pics to know for sure

16. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

You just said what I was thinking;)

Karl G and gssixgun like this.
  17. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

To be clear; This is against the eBay policy. If that seller wanted to report you, he can at any time past that two day mark. Like everyone else is saying; It's bad business to be bidding money you don't have. This means you've already depleted your funds before you even have them in hand. Absolutely no wiggle room for anything else. Get your funding under control before you start looking at new items to add to your collection.

AGHisBBS and Karl G like this.
  18. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    @Michael_W

You know I have no problem looking at an razor that you are thinking of buying to give a well informed opinion, many of the guys here ask

Just fire me a pm on something you are serious about... I love talking Steel and Stones

19. Michael_W

My original plan was to get the two razors from the antique shop restored and then sell them at whatever the going rate is for vintage razors—both still have their original cases, after all. I had planned to keep the Dubl Duck and have the Wustof as a backup once that is restored.

Keithmax and Karl G like this.
  20. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

For what it’s worth - I’d give up the $10 and save yourself some time and money. :scared003:

Steve56, Spyder, Michael_W and 2 others like this.