Welsh Slate Stones

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 30, 2016.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

It is easier than you think. Start looking for the other things, to lap the stones, while you are waiting for delivery.
    Make sure you post pictures of them, when they arrive.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    Zykris likes this.
  2. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I’ve got some SiC still from lapping the Arks. Think it was from 180 to 2000 grit. Just popping around Amazon and the bay for a good deal on a lapping plate, Nagura and a few emails out on sourcing. I’ll post hopefully some good quality pictures.

DaltonGang likes this.
  3. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Check out the CKTG 400/1000 Lapping plate, VERY good price!!!

I have been testing one for almost 1 year now, it was very flat and once you knock off the high diamonds it has worked fine (just sharpen and old kitchen knife)

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/ckcodipl40.html

DaltonGang and Zykris like this.
  4. DaltonGang

I like the looks of that one. Unfortunately they are sold out. I will be keeping an eye out on their stock.

Zykris likes this.
  5. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

They are here! Camfored (sp) and marked grit for me. Hard to tell the color difference but AJ probably knows better than me on these hones. Just gotta lap them with some SiC and away we go!

DaltonGang likes this.
  6. DaltonGang

Nice looking stones. Did you fine a lapping plate?
    Depending on how much patience you have, you can do both sides.

Zykris likes this.
  7. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I have SiC powder for the lapping but for slurry not quite yet. Probably going to get that ordered hopefully this week. Otherwise I can try and see how plain water works out.
    Do your stones look pretty closely alike?

8. DaltonGang

They look like yours. Same thicknesses, same colors. You might find some green spots in the Purple 12k stone. That is typical. Just plain water is slow going with these stones. I did that with a hundred+ razkrs, and it is very slow. Use a slurry, then slowly dilute with water, until no slurry.

Zykris likes this.
  9. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Lapped at 325. Now I can tell the difference on them! Just did the tops. Probably will hit the bottoms eventually.

DaltonGang likes this.
  10. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Gonna give these guys a shot at slurry makers. The rubbing stones did make a light slurry. Kind of reminded me of a coticule. But I’ll give a review of how this works once it arrives.

Attached Files:

11. DaltonGang

make sure they are a thick lapping plate. The thin ones are hard to handle.

Zykris likes this.
  12. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Thanks for pointing that out. It was only .03mm thick. Found another one that had a holder and basically same grit rating plate that was almost 1/2” thick. I think I can manage that one. It’ll be a little longer and wider than my stones.

13. DaltonGang

That's fine. You wont be using it on your Hones, just your slurry stones.
    Use it on some knives first, and some spare slurry stones, to knock off any loose diamonds.

Zykris likes this.
  14. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Would I just be transferring the slurry made from the plate to the hone when I do that?

DaltonGang likes this.
  15. DaltonGang

Yes.
    I slurry on the plate, then angle the plate, so it drips the slurry on the Hone, when drizzled, or sprayed with water. Not too much water. You will get the hang of it, when you start trying it out.

Zykris likes this.
  16. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Is it a bad idea to slurry on the hone? Just seeing why.

17. DaltonGang

The slate hone is difficult to slurry, with the slate slurry stones. If you use the lapping plate, on the hone, you will fast wear down the hone, and possibly put scratches in it. Give it a try, you can always lap the hone again.

Zykris likes this.
  18. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Thank you!

DaltonGang likes this.
  19. DaltonGang

:happy088:

Zykris likes this.
  20. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

The more I use these stones the new more I like them. On my new Electric Friedmann and Lauterjung, I tried using the 1000 grit side of my diamond hone. Put a good bevel quickly on it. Then into the Welshs. The first Welsh took those marks no problem with slurry and is decently fast at removing metal. Same with the Middle Welsh. Even the final stone is decently fast. Probably finished that razor start to finish with slurry dilution in about 30 minutes. I am seriously impressed by these stones abilities to go from nothing to shaving quickly. I made have to lap the other sides of the stones to a higher grit. The 400 grit currently used sides of the hones work nicely. Now curiosity about making the other sides finer is running around my brain. Thanks @DaltonGang for the suggestion at getting this stones!

DaltonGang likes this.