Wet Shaving Acquisition Disorder

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by DentonMajik, Mar 26, 2017.

1. DentonMajik

DentonMajik Well-Known Member

So I think I might be taking things a bit too far with acquiring new shave gear. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm looking to thin the den out a bit. How have you decided what you kept and what you let go of especially if you like just about everything....lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Can't really help you. I'm still fully engaged in the disorder. I have not reached that point where I feel I need to stop buying and start thinning the den. I have a high tolerance for hoarding so it will probably be quite awhile.

3. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've found I don't prefer Savory scented soaps. I put all the ones that were good, but not my style into a soap pass around. Only took out one tub and small samples.
    Part of my easing of the AD's has been realizing more isn't better. That took almost two years. I like the gear I now have, and I've traded off and shared with others the stuff I don't like or use often. No way I've reached Minimalist, but I have begun moving out the stuff that was just taking up space.
    Shopping at antique/thrift stores I see lots of vintage razors, brushes, and Avon AS. I've already got all that. I'll only buy something if it's in top condition &/or to be traded away.

4. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

I've always prided myself on being a Wet Shaving Minimalist. I have one DE, one brush, 2 different blades, and my trusty shea nut oil for my aftershave. Recently, because of this forum :p, I've been acquiring more and more soaps. I'm up to 4, soon to be 5! :eek:

I wish I could help, but I think I've been bitten by the AD bug and soaps are my new disease, lol.

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I stopped accumulating a couple years ago. 30+ DEs, 10+ SEs, 8 str8s, 19 brushes, about 30 soaps, 9 or 10 AS. I use 'em all. Just not ready to let anything go.

jimjo1031, twhite, Herm2502 and 7 others like this.
  6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I reached the point where I had to thin down my collection from around 50 DEs, SEs and injectors. I sold off about a dozen, but then I got into straight razors. Now I have a growing collection of SRs. Go figure!

7. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I try not to have more than three of the same thing.

For instance, I have a Gillette Red Tip that I like, plus a spare (in case anything happens to the other one), and then a third one that I couldn't pass up because it was in great shape and only ten bucks. And of course; if something did happen to the one I shave with, then my spare would become my shaver and then I'd still need a spare.
    If I get a fourth Red Tip, then I'd have to PIF that one.

So the rule is, no more than three of the same thing; except for Old Spice shave mugs (to hold all my soaps). And blades; it's perfectly acceptable to have lots of blades because they're consumables and you never know if they might quit making them someday.
    And vintage shave soaps no longer in production. And then I guess it would be the same for vintage aftershaves that are no longer in production.

So, okay, the rule is; no more than three of the same exact thing except for any exceptions. Yeah, that's how I decide what to keep and what to let go of.

jimjo1031, twhite, Herm2502 and 10 others like this.
  8. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Hardware is pretty much set(unless I find something nice at the fleamarket) at 3 razors. Consumables(creams, soaps, blades) are still in play.
    Brushes are pretty much set too( two Silvertips, one Boar) unless I decide to get a custom brush.
    So I guess I'm not the one to ask for help with this either.

9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    All of this sounds very familiar to me. RAD, SAD, SBAD, BFD, and now about to get SRAD. I like to trade, and I like to do pifs from time to time.

RyX, jimjo1031, twhite and 3 others like this.
  10. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I just started getting all the disorders recently. And I don't think it's gonna slow down anytime soon.

ninjack, RyX, jimjo1031 and 5 others like this.
  11. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

It is a good thing to thin it out to the bare bones once in a while. Then you can go about filling it back up with new favorites.

RyX, jimjo1031 and Douglas Carey like this.
  12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Wait!!!!!!! Anything you let go you will just have to buy again when you miss it. At least that is what happens to me. It never ends. I figure I must be part pack rat.

I also aquire stuff to PIF. Have a razor headed to a member here and a SE headed to Croatia for a member across the street. That is a great way to thin things down some.

RyX, jimjo1031, John Beeman and 5 others like this.
  13. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I finally calmed down with spending as I passed my limit a while ago. Now I just try to buy something if I really need it or if it will provide a substantial benefit to me. It feels good to be content with my gear but it took a lot of spending to get here.

I had trouble parting with some things I bought but once I made the decision to sell them, I had trouble getting rid of them. I gave some stuff away to family and PIFed a few other things. Honestly you might just be better holding on to what you have because like wchnu said, you might end up missing it. Otherwise you might just end up little gear and a huge hole in your pocket since the shipping cost will probably eat up a lot of the sales.

14. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Another way of looking at these so called "acquisition disorders" is that wet shaving is a hobby for us. We buy, sell and trade our razors the same way a coin collector would. The big exception is we get to use the objects of our obsession, where the coin collector will have to spend the coins to use his.

So, while we have acquisition disorders, our hobby has us looking our best and clean shaven. There's no way a butterfly collector could achieve the same results through his hobby.

Embrace the hobby and all of the ADs that go along with it up to a point where you're still comfortable and your budget permits.

:shaver

15. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    An all too familiar "problem". I started off with all of the usual disorders, only to eventually come to my senses. Then I started whittling down my products to only retain the "creme de la creme", via sales and PIF's. I still have a fairly large "den", but with my new-found, no-buy discipline, I am intent on using and enjoying the products that I own. Every once in a while, I get the urge to buy a new soap (that's really the AD that tempts me most), so far, I have been able to resist...:scared003:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  16. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I have son's who tend to pick my supplies, I'll hit 4 years of wet shaving in August and it seems as though I'm slowing down on my purchases.
    I don't have an answer for you. :)

jimjo1031 likes this.
  17. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

8 straights? 19 brushes? Seems like you could use 2 more straights and 1 more brush to even out the numbers. As good a reason as any, right?

HERM

RyX, jimjo1031, mrchick and 1 other person like this.
  18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'm not opposed to picking up more things, I'm just not actively looking. My wife and I hit antique stores about once a month. If I see something I absolutely can't live without, AND the price is right, I'll pick it up.

RyX, Paul Turner and Jim99 like this.
  19. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

SHAVE ON!

RyX and Jim99 like this.
  20. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I just went through all my stuff yesterday, with the thought of moving a lot of it out. I'm at about 20 each of soaps and aftershaves. I have one each boar, badger, and synthetic bushes I like. Down to 4 DEs, and 2 SEs I am keeping. For straights, I had about 75, down to around 50 I am keeping. Need to hone and list the rest. I've decided I am going to focus on a few areas for my straights, Case related cutleries, Dubl Duck, and some special razors. I also have some modern straights I like. My rule is it has to be a comfortable shave once it's honed. I have a few razors I didn't like the balance of, and a few that just aren't as comfortable as my favorites. As far as straights, I do consider myself a collector. The other ADs are mostly in check, but not all the way.

RyX, jimjo1031, twhite and 3 others like this.