Wet shaving....with an electric razor

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Badgerstate, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Recently, I was at Target, scoping out their shaving aisle (as I always do) and came across their assortment of electric razors and trimmers. At the time, I had the thought that an electric might be a good choice for travel. So, I decided to pick up a Braun Series 3 for $40.
    The first shave with it was just dry, which was fine but I noticed that it said you could use it wet or dry, so I decided to try it wet with some Nivea shave gel.
    You might not believe me when I say this but it was almost like magic. Its so smooth and effortless and the results verge on BBS with zero irritation. Honestly, you almost dont even need any kind of aftershave, its that gentle.
    Id used electrics in the past (Norelco rotaties) and wasnt all that impressed with them but I think that was mostly to due with me and not knowing how to use them properly. I found that you have to shave ATG with them in order to get a close shave.

2. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

When I used to use an electric, I used Lectric shave as a pre-shave.

Herm2502 likes this.
  3. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

I also have a wet/dry electric razor. Panasonic Arc4. Dry....it just irritates and takes forever to get an acceptable shave. Wet (like in shower)....does much better. With Proraso shave cream, it's close to a 1 pass with DE handle.

I put new foil blades in it in Dec 2018...an ATG workout is what does my weekends when traveling.

4. Badgerstate

The first shave I did with it dry wasnt bad but wasnt anything special. Wet it works well though and for me its a near BBS.

5. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I get absolutely. BBS shaves from my 35 year old Remington electric. Just wash my face first and let it dry, and then shave.

Badgerstate and brit like this.
  6. Badgerstate

Im enjoying my Braun. Its a quick, easy DFS shave every time. Ive even found that it work well when I dont exactly do a proper shave prep like I almost have to do with a DE or cart.

7. Manatee Mike

Manatee Mike New Member

Last year my 25+ year old Norelco went up in smoke (literally). I had no plans to replace it but one day I found a new one at Costco for a very nice price. One of the claims made for it was that you can wet shave with it. Since I only use an electric a few times a year it was used only for quickie touch-ups or an occasional weekend shave. Then one day I decided to try out its claimed wet shaving capability. Lathered up with a thinner, watery lather and tried it out. WOW!! It was the best electric shave ever. Not BBS but DFS for sure. Very surprising. I've tried it a few more times since then and can't believe it's an electric shave.

8. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

The problem with electric shavers is that they either wear out or the manufacturer stops making replacement parts. That is what happened to my electric. The Chinese-made replacement screens and blades give horrible shaves. I should probably just get rid of it, as I have used it only a few times in the last decade. Once I started using a safety razor, everything else fell by the wayside.

As for prep, water, lather, shave was all I ever did for any type of wetshaving. It doesn't have to be involved for any type of wetshaving to work.

But hey, whatever works for you. After all, isn't the goal to get a great shave that you are happy with?

brit likes this.
  9. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Heresy!

10. Badgerstate

I hear you. I had written electrics off as being trash but Im liking this Braun.
    Suppoedly on the higher end Brauns, if they ever break you can send them in to Braun for repair for life. Replacement parts is always a concern though.

Exactly the response I expected when I started this thread. LOL

brit and BigMark83 like this.
  11. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

At least you know I'm joking.

brit likes this.
  12. Badgerstate

Yes and even if you werent, Im OK with it. I honestly didnt expect anyone to agree with me when I posted about the virtues of shaving with an electric razor on a traditional shaving forum.

brit and BigMark83 like this.
  13. steve207

steve207 Well-Known Member

I wet electric shave a lot because of my disability I've learned a thing or two and have learned to enjoy it it's the best of both worlds i still have my shave brush and bowl and still enjoy the different creams and soaps just like the de se sr guys and some of the the same techniques from the others you can use as well to get bbs but from time to time i like to use my de razor and collect vintage razors and the other stuff that go's with oh and the modern to the only difference between wes and the the traditional guys is the hardware we use.