What’s the mildest safety razor you can buy?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by TlawYensid, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Oh, I use a Razorock 37 slant for the daily face. The 37 is Much more milder than the my 41.
    My 37 seems to like more blades than my other DE's. Just make sure the blade alinment is correct before use.
    The 37 is easy on the pocket change too.
    tp

2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

True true.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Before you lay out any serious money try the Dollar Tree $1 special weishi. If it works for your needs go and be a big spender and plop down $10 for a higher quality version like the actual weishi brand name razor itself specifically a 9306, depending finish will determine whether it is something like a 9306-l or 9306-C so on and so forth. If you are one those have to buy 50 million different variations on the same razor type then go all out splurge and spend $18 for the Van Der Hagen Weishi rebrand at Walmart. A good shave isn't necessarily correlated to how much money you spend on your razor.

I wouldn't advocate spending $$$ on a razor unless you spent at least a year or so on honing your shaving technique first. Kind of like my parents insisting my first car be a junker until learned how to drive correctly before I got something decent.

With that said if you don't be known as that guy a gillette post war 3 piece tech is a great starter razor in this case and fits the mild bill. You should be able to snag one on the cheap around $10 as compared to ebay prices in the wild fairly easily. If you have to have an open comb a Gillette New Long Comb is comparable to a 3 piece tech though a bit more pricey and harder to find in almost new like condition unlike 3 piece techs.

Next once you find a razor concentrate on technique on a single blade. My suggestion from personal experience are BIC chrome platinum or a Gillette Silver Blue are pretty much good all around blades regardless of wild or mild when it comes to razors.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Shimming a DOC? I had one. I saw no need for shims. Why do you feel it does?

5. Bama Samurai

Shims? On modern razors?

Do tell....

6. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

I never said it did. I'm not sure if you are trying to be smart here, or just didn't read correctly. No one said anything about shimming a DOC.

7. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

To be clear; I said you do NOT need to shim a SLOC.

8. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Oh I know:happy102:, you are not a believer in shims from another post we talked about-but they do work, we do live in a not so perfect world from my experience and as you might know I like to experiment.
    Short form"SHIMS MAKE IT WORK BETTER SOME TIMES" you gain in aggression but sacrifice a little in mildness or comfort from my experience shimming.
    If you have mild razor you will not notice a lot of difference in performance but you will get usually positive or neutral blade exposure with a shim giving a BBS to person with good technique IMO.

9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Baili Tech $10 to $15 shipped on ebay.

pvsampson likes this.
  10. Bama Samurai

When I read it, it seemed you were writing that a DOC benefits from shims while a SLOC doesn't.

mrchick likes this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Or just learn how to use the tool.

PanChango, AGHisBBS, Ron R and 4 others like this.
  12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs011: I have never found a shim to improve a shave that technique wouldn't trump.

13. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I’m with you.

PanChango, Enrico and Primotenore like this.
  14. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

My Merkur 33c is a mild razor and I absolutely love it !!!

Enrico likes this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Shim ?

[​IMG]

Ron R, Frijolero and Enrico like this.
  16. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I have been using my Ikon Shavecraft 101 for the past few days.
    Mild, nicely built, loves the camera. With a little concentration gives a close comfortable shave. The two sides confuse me a bit. But I use the open for the first two passes, then the bar for the last. I don't feel it's any more aggressive, but i get a less used edge for my last pass.
    If mild is your thing, and classy is icing on the cake. Ikon may suit your build.

PickledNorthern and Enrico like this.
  17. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

One razor I am re-evaluating that certainly fits the mild bill is a Gillette Blue Tip Super Speed. No burn on the aftershave and a really good shave except for under the jawbone without doing a j-hook pass on it. This thing is so mild unless you get the angle right you are either riding cap or guard with no blade exposure but once dial in the angle for each pass it is almost impossible to not get a real close shave with enough passes at least with the blade I am using which is a BIC chrome.

I can see why more experienced shavers don't really recommend this though, it really feels junky in the hand like the dollar store special and it seems the majority don't like razors that don't give feedback on the pain scale. With that said I don't think those that dislike or dismiss this razor finger shave. The technique is straight forward for a de or se razor. Find the balance the handle if it is balanced. Like a see saw put it on the finger until it balances and then hold the the razor that way like a pencil in with the point facing you. Once you build up the finger/hand/strength to not cramp up you have full control of the razor then. The weight or length of the handle becomes irrelevant because you are not using either in the shave stroke anymore. It is just finding the optimal pressure and angle to reach whatever the functional limitation is of the blade and razor combo then dialing in accordingly.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    AGHisBBS likes this.
  18. stlbeermonkay

stlbeermonkay New Member

My mildest razor is a Baili that is also sold as a Viking Godfather. I use it on occasion when if I'm feeling a little raw. Loaded with a Feather or Kai blade gives me a DFS with no weepers or irritation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327AZ using Tapatalk

19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Anything like the Ikon Shavecraft SBS?

20. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

That razor is also sold re-branded as a Tech II by Razorock plus they are a lot cheaper as of now. They are selling it for $6.99 USD though they bang you on shipping.

stlbeermonkay likes this.