What’s the mildest safety razor you can buy?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by TlawYensid, Jul 1, 2018.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I have to second this comment. The PAA double open comb is a mild and effective razor. I'd use mine more often, but I'm not a huge fan of open comb razors.

2. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

I think maybe you were over analyzing my statement in that case. It was in direct response to the one I had quoted. One idea corresponds to an idea in the quoted statement. It's that simple. Not sure how you'd reach any other conclusion.

Here.PNG

Ron R likes this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :signs002:

4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I don't think so. One of the ikon heads was said to be very aggressive, but not the 101, is very mild.

5. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

The Tech is a blade waving, chattering monster. (Kidding. Mostly. Sort of.) The 101 is really a neat razor, but definitely on the mild end of the spectrum. It’ll shave, but it is very angle specific. As another user said, you are too far onto the cap and doing nothing, or too into the safety bar and doing nothing. It is a super sharp looking razor for the entry level price tho..

6. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I think that was the Tech, but I had given up on ikon razors long before that.

Greg had some serious quality control issues early on resulting in some pretty, but crappy shaving razors.

7. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Or if you can find a Grand Shave King mild doesn't even describe it.

Herm

PLANofMAN likes this.
  8. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Of all the DE razors I have tried the Gillette Tech is probably the mildest.

9. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I found the grand shave king only to be mild when tightened too much, cranked only snug, it'll deliver a very smooth result. Again that's my experience, (and that's only with the gsk, none with the doc or sloc)

Herm2502 likes this.
  10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Why on earth would you consider shimming a modern razor?

Any razor used properly is a daily shaver.

Enrico, Primotenore and mrchick like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

vintage ; gillette pre war ,gillette brit flat bottom techs , mild and efficient with a sharp blade, modern; razorock mamba,.similarly priced .thats all i own so i can t comment on others .ttos not included...

Enrico likes this.
  12. CarlfromMO

CarlfromMO Well-Known Member

My experience for mild razors would have me vote for the vintage Gillette fat handle Tech, but I haven't tried them all... yet.

I have heard that the Blue tip super speed is very mild.

Herm2502 and brit like this.
  13. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

:shocked029::signs015: Oh my, I not sure you are familiar with Rockwell 6c or 6s with its 3 different base plates to change a shave 6 ways of different levels of aggressiveness of the that razor. The cap stays the same and all that has changed in the plates is the razor blade gab-correct..... machining different heights of the base plate blade seat. A shim works on the same principle to see if there is a sweet spot for that razor by elevating blade gab up for the person shaving.(BADDD Shimm trying to make a person have a possible better shave.:lyrtuy5:)
    @wchnu when is Williams soap coming out with a sandal wood soap scent?
    Safety_Razor_Parameters_around_Blade_Cutting_Edge (2).jpg

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    PLANofMAN and CarlfromMO like this.
  14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I doubt Williams will ever be more then it is.

Shims are silly in vintage razors and border on worse with modern ones. Learn to use the tool and it is not needed.

Enrico, brit, mrchick and 1 other person like this.
  15. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Shims make it work better sometimes.

?

So when my golf shot is off, I will glue a plate to my club face. No other solution required? Perfect.

Then what happens if I still can't hit it straight? Should I consider that it might be my poor technique?

16. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Nevermind. I'll take the advice we give to newbies. What clubs should I try next?

Frijolero likes this.
  17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Go buy the most expensive....that must improve your game.......right???

Frijolero, Bama Samurai and Enrico like this.
  18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

[​IMG]

:happy097: .......... :signs081:

Frijolero, Primotenore and wchnu like this.
  19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

20. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Those are the same razor. It really is a question of what handle you like better. If you check aliexpress you should be able to get both even cheaper or if you just want to buy that head assuming you have a handle you already like yaqi sells the modern tech head by itself. I'm pretty sure the Yaqi and Baili head are one in the same.

Enrico likes this.