What’s the mildest safety razor you can buy?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by TlawYensid, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Yes. Mediocre brushes start around $175. I am done playing games. 95% of all razor designs are harsh, and most DE blades are terrible. I fear you may be right. It's why newbies struggle for so long. Until they get a premium razor collection, automatic great shaves are iffy at best.

/sarcasm

Primotenore and wchnu like this.
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Blah! I'm all done.....................:scared007:

3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

:transport022:

4. ddillas

ddillas New Member

On a serious note... The Standard Razor. It's been around for about 5 years but I think because it's 95% aluminum (the conecting threaded rod between the head and handle is stainless) and the modern minimalist design turns people off.

I don't have a huge razor collection... OneBlade Genesis, ATT S1 Atlas, 34C, Jagger DE86, RR Mamba and MJ90, Parker Variant, plus a collection of eight different vintage Gillettes... But none shave as easy and consistent with any blade as The Standard Razor.

It's not cool on any of the forums but IMHO it's a hidden gem that I extol whenever the opportunity arises.

Edison Carter and Herm2502 like this.
  5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :signs002: So that's what my problem has been. Wolfman....here comes Primo! :eatdrink013:

Edison Carter likes this.
  6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Even tho I have the Rockwell 6C and some say plates 1 and 2 are pretty mild, I don't use them and wouldn't know. So for me, the Gillette Blue Tip is my mildest razor.

7. TlawYensid

TlawYensid New Member

8. Crowne & Crane

Crowne & Crane Well-Known Member

Going in a completely different direction -- if you'd like a mild, every day driver that is very efficient, yet inexpensive, I would recommend the Gem Bullet Tip or Clog Pruf. Some think the Bullet tip is the milder of the two. Each blade lasts me twice as long as a DE blade and I can buff and buff and buff without any irritation. IMHO one of the best safety razors ever designed.

9. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

The Feather AS-D2 is very nice mild razor. Quality build for around $130-$150.

10. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Probably the mildest is a Weishi/VDH, Baili or Feather (take your pick between the Popular or AS-D2). You also have vintage options like the Schick Krona, Gillette Super Speed/Slim/Red Tip, Blue Trip or any of the Gillette adjustables.

11. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I’m gonna say for mildest-hit the bay and get a Gillette blue tip or a Schick Krona. A slim twist is also an option; I find it milder than a blue tip.

12. Laird

Laird Well-Known Member

My Feather ASD2 is an extremely mild razor but can be just as effective as any other once the correct angle is learned and maintained (technique). Unfortunately, it is expensive. It does not shave exactly like a Tech as many purport, but the '46-'50 NDC ball end Techs that I have are reasonably similar, perhaps a little more aggresive. The ASD2 is about as safe as you can get in my opinion. Certainly the mildest razor I own out of:
    Old Types
    NEWS
    Techs (pre and post)
    Super Speeds (40's and Flares)
    Merkurs (23c and 34g)
    Fatip Grande (mk1)

For the record, I personally do not consider the Merkur heads to be mild. Not aggressive either, but right in the middle range of the stuff I've tried (including a Muhle R89). Those Zamaz top cap Techs with the aluminum handles from the 70's now those seem mild to me. Almost ineffective. And I'm using one right now for the July 30 day focus.

13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Or a contour 1 or 2.....

14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

So what are you looking at??