What ails you?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by youngunn, Apr 22, 2013.

1. I just picked up a TENS machine for some recurring hip issues due to getting run over by a car and breaking my femur into 11 pieces. Seems helpful but I did not know it was useful for arthritis. I will have to expand on it's use.

2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

It is good for pain relief. If I use it every couple of days, my knees & back still hurt a bit, but FAR less than they would, otherwise.

3. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Jeebus sorry to hear that... Now that's one thing I've never had is a broken bone. I've had some pretty bad falls on ice and one time a car actually rolled off it's blocks and pinned my hands between the frame and the blocks... No broken bones.

4. youngunn

Very generous of you big t, thank you :)

I've heard of doing that as well, I dunno if I can yet but one day maybe.

5. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

I'll join the parade.. and echo Greg's message from page one.. take care of yourself when you are young. I damaged both shoulders in my twenties and ignored it. They 'got better' but never right. At forty nine I took off on a fitness kick, that was two years ago. I am in the best shape of my life, except for those shoulders. Totally blew one up about ten months ago and now need to have some serious surgery.. Tore a few things, detached a few others. It's amazing my arms still work with all the broken stuff in there...

I am working around it for now only because I am not 'ready' to take on the months of rehab.

Modify your life to fit your injury or you injury to fit your life.. I am too young to do the former for much longer.

Good luck to you gents. My concerns are all the meds you guys are taking.. Our medical society pump gobs of medication into patients as a means of curing symptoms and never treat the actual cause.

6. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

Have you Sleep Apnea people seen or heard about the studies they have done with the didgeridoo? It looks like a joke but there have been serious studies preformed with positive results.

7. As I read to the end of this thread I became less frustrated by my own issues as I realized others have worse things to deal with.
    This thread has shown us eachother's humanity as well, giving me at least, an element of reality/connection with some of the personalities in the forum.
    For those who are battling through their issues while still offering help and insight to the rest of us...
    I wish you relief however you find it, perhaps in the quiet of a perfect shave.

ohpaos, macaronus and youngunn like this.
  8. youngunn

For me the Enbrel is the medication to treat the actual cause, my PsA. If left untreated PsA is a lot like RA, not only causing massive joint damage but since its an autoimmune disease it can cause heart disease, stomach problems, or even cancer. I'm not crazy about the pain medication but I haven't found an alternative just yet.

Havent heard that one before. Lol.

Very well thought out post, beautiful.

9. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

I'm NOT joking, recently a long time family friend passed away in his sleep because of sleep apnea. He was in his early 40's and was in perfect health accept for the apnea. It is not a problem I would joke about because of that. What I was trying to say there have been serious studies preformed but they have been awhile ago. If I had Sleep Apnea and playing the Didgeridoo three or four days a week could possibly cure it. Then I would play the thing like a mad man and have another sleep test after 6 months. If it had not improved or disappeared then I would probably not play it anymore but what is to be lost by trying the method.

ohpaos, Leo K. and youngunn like this.
  10. youngunn

No I know but didgeridoo are funny :) the fact you lost someone however is not, that's probably what would have happened to me, I was feeling pretty rough.

Weeper Warrior likes this.
  11. youngunn

Having a rough last few days physically. After swinging a sledgehammer for a few minutes today at work, my hands hurt so bad I can barely make a fist or type this on my phone ... :(

I don't know how I'm going to make it much longer as a mechanic...

12. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

Dang, face is breaking out again, must've been too hard on my face with my brush!

13. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

My allergies have been killing me lately. I can't breathe out my nose and it's really hard to run because of it.

14. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I'm on three different meds pretty much year 'round for allergies (dust & mold), and things have been particularly bad the last few weeks. In any case, Ryan, I just started to use Breathe Right strips ("extra" type) overnight and what a difference with the morning congestion. I can at least breathe through my nose when I get up. Maybe they'll help you too. I also use a neti pot which you might want to try too. They work really well at cleaning out the ol' sinuses.

youngunn and macaronus like this.
  15. Ryan B

I need something, because what I have isn't cutting it. I remember when I went to basic training, I had to go through the gas chamber. It solved my allergy problems and I never had any trouble all throughout basic. Maybe I need to be CS gassed...

16. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I'm hoping there's a less drastic solution.

17. Ryan B

Oh yeah for sure. I would never make myself get gassed voluntarily. It sucked when I was forced to go through it.

18. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Have you tried trammadol? It's a low level narcotic, and has been a miracle drug for me. I have chronic back pain and neuropathy from a serious auto accident 14 years ago. Doesn't eliminate my pain, but keeps it tolerable if intake it early enough. Hardly any side affects, unlike hydrocodone.

19. youngunn

It interacts with my viibryd antidepressants because it's a serotonin modifier. I took it at the same time once and almost had a serotonin syndrome reaction. Couldn't move at all

20. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I sprained my knee a few weeks ago. It is still very sore. I need to go back to the doctor on Monday.