What ails you?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by youngunn, Apr 22, 2013.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I try not to focus too much on my own health challenges, but find satisfaction in assisting, counseling and praying for others as they struggle with both the physical and mental issues affecting their lives. I believe it is important to have others to 'lean on' in our times of need or duress, and community—whether cyber or in your own neighborhood/congregation—is vital for those who struggle daily. I'm also of the opinion that through the support of others, one can garner the strength and courage to face these challenges.

I was diagnosed Type 1 diabetic in 1987 (age 27—rather 'old' for 'juvenile diabetes'), after withering away for weeks to about 170lbs (my 'normal' ideal weight is about 235lbs @ 6'4"). I was the father of a newborn son and made the decision right then that this disease would NOT dictate my life, nor impact the quality of my life. I've been diligent about my management of the diabetes (regular blood-sugar testing 6-7 times a day, wear an insulin pump and CGM—constant glucose monitoring— device, watch WHAT and WHEN I eat, etc.) and have rarely had an A1c over 7.0 in the 26 years of living with 'it.' No side-effects and I didn't wear corrective reading glasses until last year—which my opthamologist attributes to my age, not diabetes-related retinapathy.

2. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

I had a triple heart bypass last November, I've recovered very well. I had a Brown Recluse Spider bite this past January was in the hospital for five days. They pumped me antibiotics and whirlpool treatments. Hand is discolored have a nasty scar, very little strength in hand still. I came very close to having my hand amputated. Thankful for God's healing in my life.

I degenerative bone disease in my back, shoulders, and neck. I also have arthritis in my hands, knees. My wife and I go to the fitness center days a week. I take a Yoga class, Senior Strengthening Class and Water Aerobics. I try to stay active as my battle against arthritis.

I have also shed 70 lbs off my weight, within 15 lbs of my goal weight. I 'm at a great stage in my life, I'm active, fairly healthy,and feel good about life.

3. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

I am thankful that today I can say I am on the mend.

I have had three surgical procedures and one hospital stay in the last 12 months. I no longer have to take additional anxiety meds, just my anti-depressants.

• I had my gall bladder removed, it was so diseased and full of stones the surgeon thought they were going to have to make the big incision, luckily the surgery was completed laproscopically.
    • While some symptoms were taken care of with the gall bladder being removed, I still had some issues going on and went through additional testing. The endoscopy revealed gastritis and the colonoscopy revealed diverticulosis, one benign polyp, and one pre-cancerous. I now have to have colonoscopies every two years, I am 39.
    • I had such pain in my neck and shoulders that Jeff finally made me to go to his chiropractor; after an MRI I found out I had two ruptured discs in my neck. I had to wait six months for the discs to be removed. I now have cadaver bone in their place and a titanium plate in my neck that screws directly into my spine in three places.
    • About two weeks after that surgery, I was admitted to the hospital with pancreatitis. That was a four day hospital stay.
    I turn 40 in July, I prayed and thanked God for the overhaul and assured him I would be good for the next 40 years!
    I will keep you all in my prayers and wish you continued healing!

Heloguy, ohpaos, Leo K. and 1 other person like this.
  4. Heloguy

Heloguy Well-Known Member

Hang in there Shawna, it has to get better.

Shawna and ohpaos like this.
  5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Shawna, I hope you are a bit better every day!
    I hope you folks don't mind if I ask for a prayer or 2 for myself. I just found out I will be needing knee surgery.

ohpaos and Shawna like this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Father, I pray for Sara, asking that You will bless her with a textbook procedure and quick complication free recovery. Bless Your daughter for Your glory. In Jesus' name. Amen.

ohpaos and Sara-s like this.
  7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Thanks Steve. I couldn't ask for a nicer prayer.

8. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

Heavenly Father, I ask that you guide each doctor in their assessment of Sara's needs. Father if surgical intervention is needed, that you provide precise movements to give her the best outcome. In Jesus name, Amen!

ohpaos, swarden43 and Sara-s like this.
  9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

And AMEN! :)

Shawna likes this.
  10. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

I'm sorry that you will be needing surgery, but very hopeful that you will get relief from pain. *good vibes* & prayers are heading your way for a successful operation & a complete and speedy recovery so that the Ironic Archer can fully enjoy all activites!! Please keep us posted :)

11. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I have a date for the surgery now. It will be on 7/10. I will keep all of your good wishes & prayers in my heart that day.

12. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

I have battled mild major depressive disorder (no self-destructive ideation) since primary school.
    I have arthritis in my right shoulder and knee, and both ankles, though doctors to date say I do not need surgery.
    I have glaucoma.
    I was born with spina bifida.

Other than that, I'm healthy as a horse.