What are some of your hobbies?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by fzrider, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Reills

Reills Member

pictures attached

RyX likes this.
  2. Mike-R41

Mike-R41 Well-Known Member

You should go on YouTube and type in Skoolie conversions. There like RVs but schoolbuses some people live in them full-time

RyX likes this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

They aren't showing up. If you upload to TSD there's a 1mb file size limit. Other option is off site hosting and linking. You can play in The Post Testing forum. Be aware others can see what you post. They tend to make comments, too.

Douglas Carey and brit like this.
  4. stream26

stream26 Member

Leathercraft. I cannot describe how relaxing it is to work on a project and see it to completion. There are so many little steps to take. I dunno, I love the process of designing and creating. Plus the leather smells awesome. Also, I like to design my own simple budget templates, daily planners, calendars, graph notebooks. Here is some of my work https://onplanners.com/template/horizontal-weekly-planner

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    b1hart, Sara-s, wristwatchb and 2 others like this.
  5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

We’d love to see a picture of your work. I understand why you say it is relaxing, even without any experience it this hobby. It clearly requires a great deal of mental focus. (As some of my hobbies do.) I believe that necessitates clearing your head, thinking only about what you are doing and thus, not thinking about things that may be bugging you.

Douglas Carey, brit and wristwatchb like this.
  6. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I think I mentioned in another thread that I've rekindled an old interest in Shortwave Radio Listening and DXing, in general. This has led to a case of RAD of a different sort.

A fairly recent acqisition:
    IMG_0516.jpg
    A Realistic (Radio Shack) DX-390 from the early 1990s, a rebadged Sangean ATS-818.

Enrico, 5Savages, Shaver X and 5 others like this.
  7. steve207

steve207 Well-Known Member

vintage anything really cars, trucks,boats,and anything with 3 or more wheels,guns vintage tech like vcrs and vhs video tapes video games videos games from the 90's on back like the ps2 back and outdoors stuff archery making things blacksmithing but to brock to get into it what else there more just to much to list right now

Enrico, Douglas Carey and brit like this.
  8. Xring3

Xring3 Well-Known Member

Well let’s see......when I had the space for them coin operated arcade games, jukeboxes, slot machines and any coin operated devices. Most are gone now as I don’t have the room for them. Vintage military firearms, mechanical clocks, advertising signs (lighted and tin), beer glasses and watches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Enrico, brit, steve207 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Xring3

Xring3 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]ran across this picture from one of my other hobbies.

10. brit

brit in a box

very cool..

Douglas Carey likes this.
  11. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Very, very :signs021:.

brit likes this.
  12. Leo501

Leo501 Well-Known Member

Photography & bird watching
    cardinal-crop.jpg

Enrico, brit, J_Man and 2 others like this.
  13. Slash McCoy

Slash McCoy Well-Known Member

Hobbies? I don't have hobbies. I only have extremely important things that I absolutely have to do. Apart from messing about with razors, there is messing about in boats, of which I currently own two and GF owns one, and messing about with brewing beer, which is necessary because of all the money I save. Same with straight razors. Right? Right. And other stuff whenever I see some other activity that I suddenly realize I must do.

brit likes this.
  14. Slash McCoy

Slash McCoy Well-Known Member

Some things that I absolutely have to do, eventually I realize that I don't absolutely have to do them after all. Like playing the various musical instruments I have tried to master over the years. Lets see... concertina, 5 string banjo, dulcimer, ukulele, finally realizing that my true musical talent rested in playing the juke box. Then there was day trading, which I HAD to do to make money, but after a year I realized I had actually lost almost $20k. Maybe some day I will once again realize that day trading stocks is something that I absolutely have to do. Oh, there is messing about with Raspberry Pi's. I forgot about that. That is still one of those things that I simply absolutely have to do, I just havent messed about with them in... a few weeks I guess. Welding... I have a lot of projects started. So far, none of them finished, it is true, but it will happen. Same with woodworking. Well, I did complete a bookcase, so nobody can say I never finished anything. And a few things for the boat.

esvh and brit like this.
  15. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

Amateur (ham) radio
    Electronics- building, repairing, etc
    Vintage audio/HiFi equipment
    Cooking
    Mechanical clock collecting/repair
    Movie watching- home theater--in the process of building my new home theater
    Home automation-became obsessed with it
    Welding

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

esvh, steve207, brit and 2 others like this.
  16. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

Sailing - we own a 33' Hunter
    Ultra running - I just ran my first 50 miler and have completed about 10 ultramarathons. Training for a 100 mile race in March.
    Hunting - pheasant and deer
    Smoking meat and cheese on my Big Green Egg

I used to be in to amateur radio but haven't done anything with it in 10 years. I keep up my license though.

17. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

Collecting, restoring, and writing with fountain pens
    Collecting vintage watches (although when I tried to get into restoration I found the community there not very welcoming, so I left off that).
    I also have a fair sized collection of cufflinks.
    Tried to learn guitar, but can't seem to progress in any meaningful way. I do play Ukulele, but can only really manage a 4/4 time. Anything tricky and my brain shuts down communications with my hands...
    I have a large collection of music from the first half of the 20th century, but that is only a portion of my very large collection in general. I do really love music from the 50's and back, though.
    I also collect a lot of nautical age-of-sail memorabilia. Someday I want to build a plank-on-frame model of HMS Surprise, but I can't afford them yet.
    I've worn fedoras since I was 13. My primary hat is a 1940's Stetson Sovereign.
    I drink a lot of coffee and have thus accumulated a number of different devices for brewing in the multitude of manners.
    I read a lot, although I haven't had as much time for it lately. Thank God for audiobooks.
    While not being particularly talented at making music, I have been told I am quite good at sound engineering, which I've done at my church for something like 13-14 years.
    I used to act in my misspent youth, but I've mostly grown out of that. I did enjoy a slight return to that when my kids were little, though, when I would read their bedtime stories and do all kinds of voices (and sometimes alter the stories).
    I just got a propane grill this year and have really enjoyed the convenience of being able to grill multiple times per week, and I'm getting pretty decent at grilling steak to my liking.
    I'm also pretty decent at cooking Sicilian food, but my wife and daughters are vegetarian, so that limits my offerings. Gonna make some orecchiette and cannolis tonight for Christmas Eve dinner.
    I met my wife in a folk dancing class that we took up until a couple years ago, so something like 27 years.
    I love playing baseball, but I'm when I've tried playing softball recently, my body didn't hold up so well. I need to do a bit more conditioning to be able to play without hurting myself (and lose about 20-30 lbs).
    When my mom died, I took to walking 3-4 miles a day in order to deal with stress, and I've continued doing that with little interruption. Except when the weather is awful, I would almost always rather be outside walking than most other activities.

That pretty well covers my main interests. I do also love swords and vintage firearms, but I can't afford to collect them. I did inherit my mom's muzzleloader, which my grandpa made for her from a kit. One of these days I'll go out and exercise it.

Have a merry Christmas everybody!

5Savages, esvh, Xring3 and 2 others like this.
  18. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

@Mr. Oldschool that's quite a lot of hobbies! When do you have time to sleep?

19. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

The majority of them are occasional things, but come to think of it, I do tend to be rather sleep deprived!

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

Sara-s likes this.
  20. Xring3

Xring3 Well-Known Member

Wow! That is a lot of interesting things. Touching on some of your comments. I too have found the vintage watch collecting to be a snooty bunch. Unless your timepieces are in the thousands of dollars they don’t want anything to do with you. Also, if you can locate a farm or estate auction, I’ve had good luck collecting military firearms. Mauser, Enfield, Springfield and even Arisaka. I also picked up a WW2 samurai sword recently. [​IMG]

Mr. Oldschool likes this.