What are you listening to?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by saltypete, May 14, 2009.

1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Hard to believe it's been 25 years.

Midnight is where the day begins.

2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'm listening to a selection of favorite songs to help get me prepared for my workout. Just listened to "Perhaps Love"(John Denver&Placido Domingo). I'll finish this post when I finish the "set". And now it's complete. Next one was "Morning Has Broken" (Cat Stevens, or whatever his name is now)...."In My Room"(Beach Boys), and closing with "Young Boy"(Paul McCartney, from his FLAMING PIE album). Time to get healthier :).

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  3. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

It's cool hearing these different takes...Bird is such a Genius....In yhe second cut he sounds like Schoenberg, playing in 12 keys over any chord and making it fit.
    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Boru62, Frijolero and AGHisBBS like this.
  4. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

5. Paul Turner

I didn't know Mickey could play the guitar.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  6. Paul Turner

Workout day again today-let's see what I'll listen to. Coupla good Country&Westerns to open with(back when C&W was classic stuff). "The Good Guys And The Bad Guys"(the closer of Every Which Way But Loose), then "Send Me Down To Tucson(Mel Tillis-).Now I'll come back with two of my all-time favorites-"Baby What A Big Surprise"(Chicago) and finish off with "An Innocent Man"(Billy Joel).

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Frijolero and AGHisBBS like this.
  7. Paul Turner

AND that's a wrap. Nice basswork on "An Innocent Man, @AGHisBBS.

8. AGHisBBS

Wow! That album takes me back to my high school days!

Paul Turner likes this.
  9. AGHisBBS

10. Bama Samurai

11. Bama Samurai

12. Bama Samurai

"All the locals hide their tears of regret
    Open fire 'cause I love you to death
    Sky high, with a heartache of stone
    You'll never see me 'cause I'm always alone

How to love without a trace of dissent
    I'll buy the torture 'cause you pay for the rent
    Tied high with a broken command
    You're all alone to the promised land

I'm in love with this malicious intent
    You've been taken but you don't know it yet
    What you will know must never live to be found
    'Cause it's the subject of the eyes of the clown"

Turn of the TV, America. Uncle Al tried to tell you....

13. Rob206

Rob206 Well-Known Member

Shes an Angel by They Might Be Giants

AGHisBBS, Frijolero and brit like this.
  14. Boru62

Boru62 Well-Known Member

I couldn't have put it better.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  15. Boru62

Boru62 Well-Known Member

16. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

Son Volt Trace

AGHisBBS, Bama Samurai and Frijolero like this.
  17. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

18. matthewoli98

matthewoli98 Well-Known Member

I use Spotify to stream music, i listen to 50s 60s 70s 80s, classic rock and classic pop, a weird a taste in music for a 21 year old lol. Here's a screenshot from my 50s/60s section in Spotify[​IMG]

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

19. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

More like what am I going to be listening to. Heading off momentarily to see this show.

20. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I saw the Zappa hologram show last night with my son. He loved it and I'm glad he got a little taste of what Frank was like. But as a long time fan, I was left somewhat disappointed. The good parts were a great band. Mike Keneally is an amazing guitarist and Ed Mann is incredible on xylophone. He played an electric xylophone which allowed him to use all sorts of sound effects. Those two stole the show. The set list was also great. They pulled heavily from Roxy and Elsewhere, Overnight Sensation and Apostrophe.

Now the not so good stuff. First, the hologram was, well, cheesy, as Frank would say. Poor quality. It had a cartoonish appearance. And they only used it for 4 or 5 songs. The rest of the show they displayed all sorts of video on a giant screen that was constructed in the middle of the stage. That was another weird aspect. The 6 band members were split with 3 on one side and 3 on the other side of the massive display screen. They looked like they were kind of shoehorned off to each side. Ahmet came out and talked about how much of a journey it had been to get there. I don't see how it was a journey. The entire concept of having a live band play along with a recording of Frank has already been done........BY DWEEZIL many years ago. In the early Zappa Plays Zappa years Dweezil would start the show with a massive video of Frank displayed above the entire stage and the band played along with him. Frankly I felt that was more effective than the small cheesy hologram. And then, incredulously, Ahmet sang two tunes. He's a clown. And what he did to Dweezil is moronic. And to think that he did that so he could produce this mediocre production. And while some of the stuff they displayed on the screen in the middle was old pictures, album covers, and video, such as some of the Baby Snakes claymation, some of it was actually new stuff created for the show. I'm not interested in new stuff since I'm there to hear (and see) FZ.

I've seen Dweezil 5 or 6 or maybe more times. Some shows were better than others. I'd say the best of them all was at the Wiltern Theater in LA when he had Vai, Bozzio and Napoleon Murphy Brock as guests. But every single one of them was better than this show. If I had a choice to see this or Dweezil, I'll choose Dweezil every time. Oh. And one more thing. You can't do a show like this without playing Muffin Man. Sorry. Just one guy's point of view. Well, and some others. As I was waiting for my son to come out of the bathroom I heard a guy talking as he walked by me saying "Dweezil puts on a much better show than Ahmet." I couldn't agree more.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019