What are you reading?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by oscar11, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I went to the library last night and just roamed around and randomly picked The Far Country by Nevil Shute. It was written in 1952. So far it's pretty good. I'm one chapter in.

2. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

When Marnie Was There by Joan G. Robinson.

3. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Lancelot, the Knight of the Cart, again. :angry032:

4. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Troilus and Criseyde by Chaucer

and

Bring Me the Head of James MacPherson
    by James Porter

5. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I just finished The Name of the Rose by Umberto Ecco last night. It is a great book, but not a quick read by any means. Now that I've finished it, I think the movie version did a pretty good job with a very dense and layered story.

I'm going to read A History of the World in Six Glasses by Tom Standage next, as I am assigning it to my honors history class soon. I've read it before, but it has been a few years.

Greg Becker likes this.
  6. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I picked up A Mother's Reckoning: Living In The Aftermath of Tragedy.
    It's authored by Sue Klebold, the mother of Dylan Klebold, one of the two shooters at Columbine. I'm about one hundred pages in.
    It's been a tough read for me as it hits close to home and stirs up many old emotions.
    A year and a half ago, my brother walked into a house and murdered two innocent people with a pistol. It was a senseless revenge killing for an accident involving my sister who died many years ago.He's serving life. It was absolutely devastating. I come from a small community of 2000 people.
    Anyway, this book gives a perspective you don't often hear from. It makes you realize people who do unspeakable, horrific acts can come from ordinary, normal law abiding families. Sorry if that's personal. I've just come to a place where I can talk about it. Double meaning: a place in my mind and this welcoming place.

GatorJoe and battle.munky like this.
  7. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I am reading 1940 by Susan Dunn right now. It follows FDR's decision to seek a third term, along with the complex politics of isolationist America while WWII began to pick up steam in Europe. Very interesting book.

At the same time, as I drive to and from work, I'm listening to Destiny of the Republic by Candice Millard, which is a light biography of James A. Garfield but is mainly focused on his assassination while interweaving the medical and scientific advances of the period, some of which were used to try and treat his gunshot wound.

Can you all tell I love history???

Spud likes this.
  8. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

The owners manual of my Ram 2500 Laramie Truck I ordered. It's only almost 900 pages.

Spud likes this.
  9. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

Good to know the book is helping you...and yup perpetrators leave alot of victims not just the ones who have been hurt physically

PatrickA51 and Spud like this.
  10. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Bloody Ridge
    "The Battle that saved Guadalcanal"
    By. Micheal S. Smith
    I have an autographed fist edition. He's a personal friend. (the author)

RetLEO-07, Spud and battle.munky like this.
  11. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Well, at the moment I am reading the posts in this thread. ;)

12. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Looked to see if there was a thread for this and couldn't find one. So I'll start. I'm currently reading " The Daily Stoic, 366 Meditations on Wisdom, Perseverance, and the Art of Living" by Ryan Holiday and Stephen Hanselman. Great thoughts from Seneca, Epictetus, and Marcus Aurelius.

13. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

[​IMG]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

14. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5¢

Our Lives Matter by Reverend Dr. Pamela Lightsey

15. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

A Geek Girl's Guide to Justice by Julia Anne Lindsey

16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

17. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  18. David W650

David W650 Active Member

Just finished, A Prince of Our Disorder: The Life of T.E. Lawrence by John Mack.

Before that I read Lawrence in Arabia by Scott Anderson.

19. RetLEO-07

20. RetLEO-07

Read that myself and it was really good. Might have to reread it down the line