What are you waiting on to arrive...?

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by Darkbulb, Feb 17, 2014.

1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

ASR lather catcher circa 1907ish. It also has some of the original ever ready blades. Only piece missing if it came with one is the strop.
    asrlc.jpg

Jim99, Aztecmike, Slash McCoy and 7 others like this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Also been needing a kitchen funnel. Found a very old enameled one for under ten bucks shipped.

BigD, cliffb599, Enrico and 2 others like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

taconic tequila lime soap,pinaud citrus musk..

Aztecmike, BigD, cliffb599 and 3 others like this.
  4. Slash McCoy

Slash McCoy Well-Known Member

1996OrderAtFactory.jpg

100 Gold Dollar model P81, AKA model 1996. They are packing them now, according to Cici, my contact at the factory. Latest production samples look pretty good. This is my first 100pc order in almost 10 years so I am kinda excited.
    <EDIT>Cici also said she would slip me some samples of the SS models for testing. There is much controversy over whether the stainless Gold Dollars are actually stainless steel or not, and I have a reasonably direct channel to Xray Flourescent Testing facilities so I can get an assay of the alloy used in the so called stainless blades. I may also spring for Rockwell testing, though I am pretty sure the factory claims of 58c to 60c are about right.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    Jim99, bayercy, BigD and 4 others like this.
  5. Slash McCoy

Nice looking set. Since you have the stropping holder, it could well have came originally with a strop. Original strops in good shape are pretty rare, but you can always make one out of 4oz veg tanned cowhide or buckskin.

6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I have a good autostrop strop I could use if I wanted to. The razor was designed for the modern style gem blades and not wedge blades. From my personal experience modern gem blades stainless or carbon steel are not worth stropping.

7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Depending how I take to using a shavette I might be ordering a few gold dollar straights to start out on from you in a few months. One to use, one as a reference and one to practice honing on.

8. Slash McCoy

Fine for that. But for honing practice just get a 66 from a Chinese ebay reseller. Seller chourenling1990 is my usual source for them. Here is his link:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-Pr...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I only sell shave ready. So you save almost $26 on the honing practice razor getting it from Chou. His prices are unbeatable whether you want one or a thousand, unless you go straight to the factory, which won't sell in small quantities and is a big PITA anyway. At his prices you may as well get several, so you can also try your hand at modding. For something to shave with right out of the box, yeah I can hook you up.

Until recently I would have suggested a different razor to learn honing on. The GDs, especially the lower model numbers, were really tough for a newbie to manage. Quality has improved a bit and they are still a little wonky, but not as bad probably as the average entry level Dovo. Easiest for you to hone would be a good hollowground vintage razor that has been honed and used but not abused or overused, but a recent GD66 won't be too bad. And the price is right.

Jim99 and BigD like this.
  9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Having a shave ready one to use as a reference is the price of an education. I will keep this vendor in mind if I do get a straight razor to practice on.

10. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Will try to figure out what kind it is when it finally gets here.

s-l400.jpg
    s-l400(2).jpg
    And...
    how to get a blade fit to use it.
    tp

Jim99, jimjo1031, Aztecmike and 4 others like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

very cool Terry..love your unique razor collection..

Terry likes this.
  12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Terry likes this.
  13. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

I won this gold plated Gillette Tuckaway with case and blade bank on the Bay with a winning bid of $35 with free shipping! It should clean up nicely when I’m done with it. 0257BBBF-F6DC-460F-91DD-32D0F32631CC.jpeg

Jim99, jimjo1031, bayercy and 6 others like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

fine tuckaway Angelo..

Angelo85 likes this.
  15. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

Thank you.

brit likes this.
  16. James Kleinkauf

James Kleinkauf Well-Known Member

Vintage Gillette '46 Milord TTO no date code

s-l1600 (48) - Edited.jpg

Jim99, jimjo1031, bayercy and 7 others like this.
  17. James Kleinkauf

James Kleinkauf Well-Known Member

Three more vintage Gillettes

s-l1600 (20).jpg
    Gillette ‘59 E2 Fat Boy Replated in Nickel

s-l1600 (2).jpg
    Gillette ‘62 H3 Slim Adjustable

s-l1600 (18).jpg
    Gillette British Aristocrat #66 in case

Jim99, BigD, brit and 6 others like this.
  18. bayercy

bayercy Well-Known Member

100 Gillette Platinum blades
    100 Gillette Silver Blue blades
    And Nivea Deep Dimension Comfort AS Lotion
    images_1584960846662.jpeg

Jim99, BigD, cliffb599 and 4 others like this.
  19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Excellent choice.

:eatdrink013:

bayercy and jimjo1031 like this.
  20. brit

brit in a box