What are your favorite aggressive double-edged safety razors?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Pete123, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

My winner is the 2011 R41

Then the rest of the pack:
    Joris
    Barbasol floating head
    B&R adjustable
    Merrkur Futur
    ATT

My travel,razor is a Ikon Tech

2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Interesting thread. Before I post my choice (s), I would like to ask a general question:
    What, in everyone's opinion, makes a razor aggressive? Is it simply "blade exposure"? I ask, because I used to rank my razors (along with many of you all too) from aggressive to mild. No longer. (I simply do not apply that particular term to my razors anymore) Because: I shave with the exact same part of the razor edge---maintaining the shallowest angle possible. Gap plays no role, IMO. So whether it's my 2011 R41 or my Feather AS-D2, I (unless I screw up, which is always possible ;)), have the same ("similar" would be a better word) sensation on my skin with any razor (that I have owned or tried). That, BTW, was NOT always the case.
    That being said, my razor with the most blade exposure would indeed be my 2011 Mühle R41. Whew, that was long-winded...sorry all, but I have a reputation for being verbose. :)

3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I'm with primo, my collections include many razors people label as aggressive. They may indeed be, but my results don't show their shaves to be closer than the results I get from some of my razors tauted to be mild.
    The lines, or labels, get blurred. I'm not sure if my r41 can do any better than my gillette tech.

Edison Carter, dmshaver, brit and 2 others like this.
  4. Primotenore

Article Team
    I am almost (I stress the word: "almost") ready to give Fuzzy's (or was it Neal's?) Painstick a try. (It'll either prove my point or slit my throat).

Edison Carter, AGHisBBS and Frijolero like this.
  5. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I love my wide open Fatboy, but mine is over clocked. My wide open Slim that isn't over clocked isn't nearly as aggressive, so my Fatboy probably doesn't count.

I'll vote Fatip and MMOC for the two best stock razors.

As far as Primotenore's question, I think it comes down to blade feel, which is some combination of exposure, gap, span, angle, and weight.

Edison Carter, brit and Frijolero like this.
  6. Primotenore

Article Team
    You definitely have a good point Garrett. The combination of which is over my head.:shocked029:

Edison Carter, gwsmallwood and brit like this.
  7. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

My Icon Tech made my 2013 R41 seem like a mild razor.

RaZorBurn123 and jmudrick like this.
  8. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I only consider aggressiveness as "how likely am I to nick myself?"

Otherwise all of my razors give an excellent shave.

Edison Carter likes this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You owe it to yourself. If you would like to borrow one before you buy one I have a user grade slim that shaves great I could loan you.

Veddy veddy well put!

I am happy to loan you a pain stick and or a great shavette. Simply ring my bell.

In answer to the question I find all razors about the same as far as performance . A razor is a razor...you have all seen me say it before.

I will say though...I think my 1908 single ring would be my most aggressive feeling DE.

10. brit

brit in a box

i just got an almost perfect bbs from a flat bottom tech. no drama. cold smooth like i didn t even shave.. this is a first for me from a tech... practice works...ride the cap...

Edison Carter, dmshaver and wchnu like this.
  11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I had to give my iKon Tech to my youngest son, it's far too aggressive for my liking.

12. Primotenore

Article Team
    I've wanted to "ring your bell" after a couple of your posts...:happy097:

13. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

I use the timeless .95, ATT R2, Rockwell 6S on 5 and 6, and the Ikon B1 Standard Head. I've never felt that the Rockwell is aggressive even when using #6. The Timeless is incredibly smooth. That Ikon, however is easily the most aggressive of the bunch. It shaves a lot like their Shavecraft Tech and I like to think of it as the stainless version of that razor (I know they aren't identical, but they are similar). I also had a Muhle R41 (2013 to present) and it was not as aggressive as the Ikon.

14. lvanerstrom

lvanerstrom New Member

I prefer the Leresche #51, the older model.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

15. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

Fatip Piccolo, then Gillette Old Type. The Fatip Piccolo is my favorite razor, period.

16. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Gillette Old Type.

17. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Do you have the older version? I have a more recent one, and I was surprised by how aggressive it isn't.

18. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

No, I have the v2 head and it’s very efficient but comfortable. I’ve been using it M-F exclusively for a while now. Efficient and comfortable.

19. Primotenore

Article Team
    Couple times members have named the Old Type. Mine's a pussycat.

Edison Carter and Puma like this.
  20. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Efficient yes. I guess you equate that with aggresive. I think of aggressive more as tendency to bite if you get careless. V1 definitely had a reputation for that. Maybe responsible more than any other razor for the myth about open combs being more aggressive.