What did we learn from our last shaves?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by youngunn, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

I learned that the Lone Ranger is bald under that white hat... based on Mark's last post. ;) (At least that's how I envision Mark looking... like the Lone Ranger)

youngunn likes this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I have learned (over the last few shaves) to "Ride the cap" of my three piece. This brings the blade to a shallow (20-25degrees) angle and seems to "cut" the beard rather than "scraping" the face.

And also learned that Voskhod is a winner for me.

3. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Read this, which relates to what you said: http://shavelikeaman.blogspot.com/2011/09/de-technique-convention-attacked.html

Bama Samurai likes this.
  4. Bama Samurai

BigMark and fram773 like this.
  5. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

This really seems to work best for me with my NEW. I need to try it in my other razors to see how well it works with them.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  6. Bama Samurai

Since I have tried the more shallow angle, I am requiring less strokes/passes to get it done. It seems to cut better and cause way less irritation (per alum block response). I think this may help my bad experience with an OC Cadet too. Give it a whirl!

Radiotube and fram773 like this.
  7. fram773

You guys are giving this L.O.S.E.R. the temptation to give DEs one more shot...I have some coming in anyways as part of a lot I won with a GEM. I might as well use one for old times sake.

youngunn, Bristle Me and Bama Samurai like this.
  8. Bama Samurai

If I were to acquire an SE razor, what should I try first?

9. fram773

The Ever Ready 1912 is an all around good choice; while another medium aggressive one is the Micromatic Clog Pruf. I started with the hyper-aggressive Ever Ready 1924 and still did very well though. You really can't go wrong with any. The only one I suggest you avoid is the MicroMatic Bullet Tip- so mild it is useless IMO. Most importantly, use proper GEM blades! The best ones IMO are the PTFE coated GEMs which can be bought from the TSD store, TryaBlade, or Connaught Shaving.

youngunn and Bama Samurai like this.
  10. fram773

Did you experience much more shaves per blade, like was reported by some, using this technique?

11. Bama Samurai

Yes, it seemed so, but I discard blade after third shave regardless...so I haven't pushed it.

Will look into 1912... I am also fascinated by Schick injector types. My Dad used one when I was a child.

12. Bama Samurai

A thought on this...it follows logically that if the method reduces strokes, then blade life will necessarily be extended on a shave session basis. Intellectually, I would accept the premise.

13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The Gillette Lady with Stars has great length but is just too mild a shaver.

14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

G-Bar!!!

jeraldgordon and Bama Samurai like this.
  15. Bama Samurai

Thanks! Will also take that under advisement. I have a 3pc, and a couple TTO razors, I think an SE is my next stop.

16. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

I learned this morning that just because my 1955 Super Speed Flair tip thrives on
    7 OC greens, it is no sign my X2 Black tip will.

Because it didn't.

Ouch! :sad023:

youngunn likes this.
  17. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

This mornings shave was a boker edelweiss that I just finished with a zulu gray. I had never used the stone before.

I learned that zulu grays put a nice finish on edelweiss edges.

18. fram773

Those are even better. My ER 1924 is still my best shaver but If I was ever forced to use just one razor, It would be the Schick type I. I highly recommend any Schick that is type I or a later model.

Bama Samurai, gorgo2 and Bristle Me like this.
  19. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I learned that on some combinations of soaps and creams, you don't need to add glycerin to make a great lather.

Bama Samurai, youngunn and Bristle Me like this.
  20. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

I've actually been doing this now as well
    Any of the 1912 models are good, the g bar is super, and the GEM Featherweight is an enable shave. Great handle on it for sound grip.

Bama Samurai likes this.