What did we learn from our last shaves?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by youngunn, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Face lathering seems to be helping with close shaves this week.

txskimo likes this.
  2. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Sounds like another PIF is in order...

Was it a bullet tip, clog pruf, or open comb?

wristwatchb and Jostalli like this.
  3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

/bows

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  4. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I think it was open comb.

5. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

That single pass WTG shaves during the week during this harsh winter still allows me to shave everyday.

6. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Someday, scientists will figure out, like we have, that face lathering will cure everything from acne to cancer.

7. sir_mike

sir_mike Well-Known Member

I shaved with a Gillette Blue Tip today and didnt care for it. I shaved yesterday so I dont have alot of whiskers but still took three passes and some touch up. Just too mild for me which stinks cause I have quick abit wrapped up in it cause of its condition! Not mint but very, very good!

8. Rio Bravo

Rio Bravo Well-Known Member

Don't leave the bathroom door open when shaving with a straight razor. My partner came in quietly and went "boo!" Followed by, "sh1t... Sorry didn't realise!"

Jostalli likes this.
  9. Sevenbark

Sevenbark Well-Known Member

I hate Mystic Water soap

10. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I like the Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum black blades. Probably right up there with Astras and Feathers, at least in my Fatboy.

Radiotube likes this.
  11. Mustache

Mustache Well-Known Member

I have two superspeeds. My last two shaves were with my older one that isn't on as good of condition as my other one, and I used a dorco with shave 3&4 on it. I tore up my neck pretty good on those last two shaves.

Today I used the newer, nicer condition, SS and a new dorco blade. Shave was a lot smoother with a much better end result.

Now not sure if it was because of the better, smoother, plating on the doors or the new blade.... Not sure exactly what I learned today but I believe it had to do with the razor and not the blade.

12. Mustache

Oh! I know! One thing I did learn.... More water is not better when using cream and a brush. Maybe water is good for soap but with cream, it doesn't lather well and runs everywhere except where it needs to be.

Wet brush, shake out MOST of the water, then lather.

Bristle Me likes this.
  13. WhiskerWhacker

WhiskerWhacker Well-Known Member

It may have just been that you were more focused on technique because of the previous days' thrashing.

Mustache likes this.
  14. Crawldawg

Crawldawg Active Member

Learned that if I rub a little shave soap on my hands like lotion, I get that amazing Cabernet and Neroli smell most of the day. My post shave seems to lighten the aroma on my face.

gwsmallwood likes this.
  15. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

16. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Still figuring out the new horse hair brush,
    which is supposed to be 35/65 mane/tail.

Vie-Long 12705.jpg

It's soft. Nearly as soft as my TGN best badger and no scritch.
    Not as firm as my boars, but not a mush mop either.
    I'm thinking it may be best suited for crèmes.
    I think I like it, but it surely is different.

What I've learned:

This thing stinks like the palomino that fell into the poo.

poo.jpg

I've given it 3 test lathers with Arko, 3 more with MWF,
    and I shaved with it this morning and used VDH deluxe.
    Still, the stink is with this thing. Anybody else have this aroma problem?

wristwatchb and Radiotube like this.
  17. Mustache

What did ever ready use in their brushes? I bought one in an antique store last week and have cleaned it about 7 times and it still stinks!

Bristle Me likes this.
  18. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Soak in a diluted oxi clean solution for a few minutes. Shake dry. Hold the brush tightly and really snap it hard to whip the water out. Repeat with fresh solution as needed.

Bristle Me likes this.
  19. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

I learned that when you build a lather that is just right you will instantly know. Every time before this I always thought I had a decent lather but today before I ever put the razor to my skin I just knew it was right....what an awesome feeling

20. WhiskerWhacker

WhiskerWhacker Well-Known Member

I learned that my Slim has a slight blade gap issue that I never noticed before :(.