What did we learn from our last shaves?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by youngunn, Nov 8, 2014.

1. sir_mike

sir_mike Well-Known Member

Can you explain or post pic! I havent noticed it my my slim but never looked for one either!

Thx.

2. WhiskerWhacker

WhiskerWhacker Well-Known Member

So it's a little hard to describe. Basically, one side of the DE is fine. The other side has a slight slant to it. It's something that Captain Murphy can repair, but so far I don't think it's affecting my shaves. But, I'll have it fixed after March Madness.

3. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

I am finding if I strop my razor during my shave I am getting better results at the end.

Bristle Me and CyanideMetal like this.
  4. fimpster

fimpster Well-Known Member

I learned to NEVER use a Treet Platinum blade again. Ouch!

Mr. Shaverman and Bristle Me like this.
  5. sir_mike

sir_mike Well-Known Member

Today I used the Red Tip and I dont know if it was the extra weight or the new Astra SP blade but I got a DFS with three passes and almost no touchup! My first Gillette that didnt feel too mild for my liking! :)

Bristle Me likes this.
  6. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

I learned that I just don't like Feather blades. Too unforgiving and rigid.

Tdmsu and Bristle Me like this.
  7. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

I learned that if I squeeze the lather out of my brush before the final pass, that final pass's lather will be thicker, AND my brush cleanup will be easier, leading to less time with the alum drying out my face.

Tdmsu, wristwatchb, Rio Bravo and 4 others like this.
  8. Crawldawg

Crawldawg Active Member

I learned or actually it had sunk in to my thick skull that I had been using pressure on my previous shaves. Beginner learning by experience.

Tdmsu, wristwatchb, Rio Bravo and 5 others like this.
  9. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Nice. Awareness is the first step to improving.

wristwatchb, Rio Bravo and swarden43 like this.
  10. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

:(

Contemplating a repair/tuneup?

11. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

That after a week of not shaving, a clean shave feels great.

Rio Bravo likes this.
  12. Rio Bravo

Rio Bravo Well-Known Member

There is such a thing as "to strop properly". I had a very good shave from a straight razor that I though might need a hone sooner or later. That little bit of extra time and a more detailed approach to the strop ensured a spectacularly sharp razor and an exceptional shave

13. Rio Bravo

I remember when I first noticed this. Part of me felt like screaming "why didn't anyone tell me" quite surprising how long it takes to realise this.

14. WhiskerWhacker

WhiskerWhacker Well-Known Member

Definitely. I think it's just a bent safety bar but I'd rather let a pro that knows how to get the gaps correct do it.

15. Rio Bravo

If you do tiny delicate strokes with a hollow straight razor you can get a nice tune :). Also the chime or ring helps you maintain a good rhythm which helps with your muscle memory in the arm and hand.

Bristle Me likes this.
  16. Crawldawg

Crawldawg Active Member

Since I got my pressure issue somewhat sorted. I now have my growth directions narrowed down. Got the Mrs. to try my Cabernet Neroli on her legs. Lesson, don't show off unless your willing to share.

Tdmsu and Bristle Me like this.
  17. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

I learned that I have seemed to settle in on "my" blades...which are Astra SP and Feathers (new)....weird how I compair ALL other blades to those and they all seem to leave me dissapointed....anyone else have similar experience with feather/astra?

18. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

hahaha true....much to learn you have, young padawan (in best yoda voice)

19. idvsego

idvsego Well-Known Member

I learned that I may have settled into a comfortable set of hardware. I have now loaded the same razor with the same type of blade 3 times in a row. Razorock Jaws with a Voskhod. I actually feel a bit relieved not feeling like I need to get the "next thing" to see if it helps out. Doenst mean I wont get that next thing just to try it for fun though. You never know what you might find.

Tdmsu, Bristle Me and Mustache like this.
  20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Audible feedback is always nice and getting a consistent 'tone' may be helpful in gauging consistent pressure. Be forewarned— when you jump to a true wedge straight razor, the silence will be deafening! ;)

Bristle Me and Rio Bravo like this.