What did we learn from our last shaves?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by youngunn, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

To much variation gives very inconsistent shaves

Bill G, jakie55, CyanideMetal and 4 others like this.
  2. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

That feather blades, although very good, do not provide a better shave nor does it last any longer than Astra SP's for me in my Merkur 34C. Also, at 2-3 times the cost will not pursue them further unless they perform drastically better in my Gillette's.

Bama Samurai and youngunn like this.
  3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Today I learned...

I gotta work on left side face technique, left side is never as smooth as the right side. I work with my right hand and this is the root of the difference. It lies in the grip on the handle. I need to focus on keeping the blade angle and pressure consistent when working across my body.

youngunn and CyanideMetal like this.
  4. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I like the East African USB better than the Western variety. The Eastern variety has the consistency of Vaseline jelly and hardly any nutty smell.

@celestino turned me onto large brushes and Rooneys in particular, in addition to USB. How I allowed it to happen I'll never know.

5. CyanideMetal

Bingo. Same for me. I consistently go lax with my technique on my left side because I hold the razor in my right hand with a backhand grip. I now focus on blade angle on my left side because I tend to let the angle slip.

6. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Tonight I learned that,

A. It's hard to know how to trim a moustache when you have never grown one, I mean, shouldn't we be issued manuals on this sort of stuff when we become men?

B. That old carbon steel razor blades can seriously kick some whiskers' butts.

C. That Royall makes some of the best smelling (and expensive) aftershave lotion. I smell like cloves and oranges and spice and I love it.

Darkbulb, macaronus and Bama Samurai like this.
  7. Bama Samurai

I need to investigate this Shea Butter VooDoo at some point. I am intrigued. It may be easy to source locally. I have in the past found Shea butter to have a very subtle, and for me, off-putting scent...but maybe it was the particular butter I happened to have at hand.

And I lather up a Omega 48 like it's a contest. I have no explanation for this either. Big brushes make piles of lather. I guess I dig that.

8. Bama Samurai

Corner of jaw below ear the worst?

9. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

After three Cella shaves I'm learning to love it more and more!

(yes, Bama, even more than Arko! )
    scared.gif

Bama Samurai, youngunn and Omelmad like this.
  10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Sometimes we get good surprises!

macaronus likes this.
  11. CyanideMetal

Yes and a little forward on the jaw towards the mouth.

12. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Today was a good learning day..

1.) The gold tech razor is mild & smooth, yet still effective.

2.) The Bic platinum blades are actually pretty good, I was expecting tugging and irritation, but this blade delivered a DFS.

3.) My face doesn't enjoy dragon's blood scented soaps. I got a slight burning and discomfort towards the end of my shave. Not going to use that again.

youngunn and Shotwell like this.
  13. CyanideMetal

I get my "stuff" from Slice of Nature. It's all 100% natural and organic with nothing added. I just ordered some Argan oil today along with some liquid shea butter. The USB will have a bit of a nutty scent. I just add a drop or two of my favorite AS to my palm with the shea butter. Great for the skin.:cool:

wristwatchb and youngunn like this.
  14. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

That shaving with the same razor for more than two weeks is boring ;)

And that no matter how many razors I have, if I have more than two, my wife will think I have too many.

And I learned Arko lasts a long time, even in stick form.

15. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

You should get a Turkish #1 brush then. That thing dwarfs all my other brushes.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416174380.033961.jpg

youngunn likes this.
  16. youngunn

Yes, if you have more than one then why shave with only one, right? Lol

macaronus and Shotwell like this.
  17. youngunn

I learned that shaving with a Trac II cartridge (Old Spice handle) and yellow Barbasol can actually yield a nice shave.

18. Bama Samurai

No way! Blasphemy I say! ;)

Arko! Arko! Arko!
    (I love Arko.)

Hey @macaronus.... What I take from that is maybe next year the Samurai will test-fly a tub of Cella!

macaronus and youngunn like this.
  19. youngunn

I want to get the tub of arko after my stick of it runs out. Which might be 2 years lol

macaronus likes this.
  20. Bama Samurai

Insert Arko chant here...

macaronus and youngunn like this.