What did we learn from our last shaves?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by youngunn, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

That the WWII UK Military razor turned out to be an absolutely stellar razor!
    My two passes with it felt smooth (on the aggressive side) and left me with a 100% clean shaven face. Truly impressed and this will, based on just today's shave, end up near the top of of my ranked razors. Excellent, excellent razor!

2. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

I have really be focusing on pressure lately. It's insane how long I've been using just a touch to much pressure. Better shaves from here on out!

3. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I went back to 9 on the FB for the first pass and it was great! My face feels very smooth and comfortable. I dialed down to 3 for the ATG and, even though the AS stung more than if I had used my 39c, the shave itself was close and comfortable. Still learning this razor, but very happy with the results so far.

4. Cap7597

Cap7597 Well-Known Member

That was my main problem. Seems like I can shave with anything now that I'm mindful of pressure. :)

DEfettish and Bama Samurai like this.
  5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Gentlemen, from my last shave...

I learned that short, deliberate strokes yield the best results near the chin and jawline.

Rufus T., Mustache, spacehobo and 2 others like this.
  6. Cap7597

I've tried that technique on my chin. Just can't get it down. Need to work on it. My hairs grow in all different directions there. Still working on that :)

Bama Samurai likes this.
  7. Bama Samurai

I have been doing WTG, then XTG, using a Schick injector.

Rufus T. and Cap7597 like this.
  8. Cap7597

That's a good idea.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  9. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Same here! It made all the difference for me this morning.

Due to the dastardly combo of the grain direction and the contours of the jawline, a perfect storm occurs as the hand/razor is forced into an awkward approach, especially closer to the ear side of the face, in order to achieve the proper stroke.

(Or something like that) :confused:

Last edited: May 27, 2015
    jamespasini69 likes this.
  10. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Or just use the perfect solution, that I employ - grow a goatee!
    :lyrtuy5:

gwsmallwood, Cap7597, Tdmsu and 2 others like this.
  11. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

i learned that i really really really like my slim...im not going to say that it has dethroned my FB, but im really liking the slim.

Bama Samurai and Cap7597 like this.
  12. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I learned this morning that it was the lower setting passes with my FB that were giving me weepers! I did the first two passes set on 9, and got a superb shave. I think I was subconsciously putting more pressure on when I was using lower settings.

13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I learnt that maybe I shouldn't buy discontinued products...because odds are that, like in this case, I'll fall completely in love with them...and won't be able to keep using them.... :(

R.I.P. Fitjar and your amazing Isrose shaving cream - it's really outstanding.

[​IMG]

gwsmallwood, Tdmsu, Cap7597 and 2 others like this.
  14. Bama Samurai

Gentlemen, from my last shave...

I learned that some days I don't really learn anything.

Douglas Carey, clint64 and Cap7597 like this.
  15. Cap7597

I had one for years till I started wet shaving. :)

Bama Samurai, Rufus T. and clint64 like this.
  16. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I've been using less pressure on the razor and have been getting a better shave. I believe the focus on brushes and soap has lead to this.

Cap7597, Rufus T., Tdmsu and 2 others like this.
  17. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Been there done that.:)

jamespasini69 and Bama Samurai like this.
  18. Bama Samurai

It's funny how that works. Focus on one thing and it takes the pressure off the other areas. Nice!

Rufus T. and Douglas Carey like this.
  19. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I realized that I like the Gillette FatBoy better at higher settings, since that seems to help me remember to use no pressure.

20. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I made the mistake of trying a Schick Platinum DE blade from a passaround box. Might be the best blade I've ever used...:angry017: