What did we learn from our last shaves?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by youngunn, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I think this is what happens when you quote one person but intend to reply to another :)

mrchick and Douglas Carey like this.
  2. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

That makes sense =)

mrchick likes this.
  3. DEfettish

DEfettish Well-Known Member

I learned that for me a Supermax Blue diamond blade only last two shaves.

4. Brian_Powers

Brian_Powers Well-Known Member

I learned that I may love a Voshkod in an iKon but I can't stand it in an SS. Also, Cade balm is fantastic but the cream sucks (I knew that part, I just forgot because it had been so long so I'd used it).

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Gentlemen, from my last shave...

Maggard OC looks wild, shaves mild.

maltedmilk and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  6. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Don't rush whilst using a Feather blade as blood will be spilt. Less haste more speed.

mrchick likes this.
  7. Brian_Powers

That I'm kicking myself for taking four years to shave with a black handled super speed!

wristwatchb, maltedmilk and Darkbulb like this.
  8. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

1. Never, never put orange EO in a bowl to lather with unscented glycerin soap (what was I thinking?);
    2. Never shave with a DE when you are distracted;
    3. Never shave when the mirror is even partially fogged;
    4. When one pass is a disaster, the second pass will not make things better;
    5. Always check to see if the TTO is turned tight before starting your shave;
    6. When you nick yourself and draw blood, stop, breath deep and consider whether you should scrap the shave and go back to bed.

Yes...I learned all this from one shave...:(

9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

That wedge blades rulez and Voskhod drools

10. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

That I need to use my Micromatic open comb more and my Tabac soap

11. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

After just starting traditional shaving and completing a 30-Day Rule for technique, I've learned that I'm still a newbie, and I regret not starting this until nearly 60 years old...for I'll not learn or experience all the joy of those half my age on here who stay with it for a lifetime.

but I'll enjoy my share of the ride!
    :transport015:
    Cheers!
    - RT

(...and perhaps spend a LOT less money on this than some of you have! :rofl:
    Always gotta find the bright side!)

12. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I learned that a razor manufactured during my birth quarter is considered vintage!

photo.jpg

13. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

You could enjoy more things faster if you break NBJ! :signs136:

14. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

OMG NO!

I was tempted by the announcement by @Darkbulb yesterday re: a Slim for sale. But as I normally lean towards anonymity, I could never handle the ridicule!

I have enough patience to last til August.

(In fact I have so much patients, I shoulda been a doctor!) :happy068:
    :happy102:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  15. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Great stuff!!

jamespasini69 likes this.
  16. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I learned that after a year of traditional shaving using soaps and creams, I still can't get good lather from a bowl. I went back to canned goo for a few months (long story) then spent a few weeks bowl lathering, and the past couple of days head lathering. I cannot get good lather from a bowl no matter what I try. Just doesn't work for me.

17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I still hate Williams.

Yes, and it was confirmed this morning.
    I had a puck of Williams under my bathroom cabinet that is probably close to three years old. Last time I used it was for Williams Week back in 2013.

First, it is true what they say - leave a puck of Williams to sit out and the scent will go away. It did, which left me with a soap with just the slightest of skeeter-be-gone smell. There's a reason I have 30+ different soaps, all with a different scent - I like all the different scents! I don't want a scentless soap!! And I'm not going to put up with a soap that smells like a urinal cake.

Second, I'll be honest, I whipped up a rich, thick, fantastic looking lather. Then came the second pass... nothing. Williams up to its old disappearing tricks. I managed to squeeze out enough to get my three passes done, but I hate thin, wimpy shave soap.

In my opinion (again, my opinion) this soap is not even worth the $1.09 I paid for it.

For those of you who love it, more power to ya!!

macaronus and Darkbulb like this.
  18. Brian_Powers

Astra Superior Platinum= Hell of a blade.

jamespasini69 likes this.
  19. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

When shaving with a straight, and in a hurry, don't try and get too close to the mouth.

wristwatchb likes this.
  20. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

This mornings shave reinforced my dislike for the Gem Featherweight. It just isn't working for me. I am much fonder of the very early Gem offerings.

Oh, and Proraso Red, more and more it is becoming a second tier soap for me. It's still good, just not great.

Of course, I've been wrong before.