What did we learn from our last shaves?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by youngunn, Nov 8, 2014.

1. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I think a lot of my irritation issues on my head in the past may have been brush burn and not pressure. I recently went back to head lathering after a couple month hiatus. This time with an Omega S brush rather than my previous boars. It's by far my softest brush, even softer than my Super Badger. As much as I missed head lathering, even the S Brush now feels prickly to me and a little rough. I thought I preferred boars due to their stiffness and backbone. Now I'm starting to wonder. I may have to pick up one of those Fine synthetic brushes that people have been talking about. Or maybe I'll spluge a little and just grab a Plisson.

mrchick likes this.
  2. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

When it comes to shaving...simple, uncomplicated is better.

3. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I'm hearing the knots are nearly identical. That Fine Angel Hair is my next brush. I'm not a brush collecting type of guy and have heen completely satisfied with my Plisson. I use it everyday and the few other brushes I own have been sequestered.

4. bald as

bald as Well-Known Member

I'm glad you have identified that with your brush. I believe I have similar issues and now palm lather and apply by hand.

5. hippiebrian

hippiebrian Well-Known Member

I learned that Cornel Conk's takes less water in the brush than the Proraso I've been used to, but even so, it's a nice shave. I like it.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  6. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Ingram shave cream...I like it. I had forgotten I bought it several months ago. No Buy July saw me doing a general purge of the gear and I ran across the new tube (among some other forgotten purchases). It's a virtually unscented cream with a menthol kick. Very nice.

Alpa Windsor- a very subtle aftershave scent after the initial big warm up. Definitely a keeper.

macaronus likes this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Dial back my Fatboy every once in a while to give my face a break. I dont always need to be Mr. Clean :)

Bama Samurai likes this.
  8. hippiebrian

Derbys work best on my face. Period. I started with a couple Derbys that came with my Jagger, then my sample pack came in. While other blades were okay, I never got that same shave I got with the Derbys. I put another in last night for this morning's shave, and I may just never use another blade...

Bama Samurai, macaronus and Mustache like this.
  9. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

That's good, they're inexpensive and plentiful. I wish they worked as well for me.

macaronus, hippiebrian and trey06dmd like this.
  10. hippiebrian

Yup, I just ordered 200 off Amazon for 16 bucks. Nice.

macaronus and Mustache like this.
  11. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I learned to check that the doors on the Fatboy are closed properly before shaving.
    [​IMG]

Bama Samurai, Hodge, Drygulch and 4 others like this.
  12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

How much smoother my str8 shaves are when I use my Dirigo Blue PSO.
    I had a brain fart (sure glad they don't stink) this morning and forgot to apply it. :angry032:

macaronus likes this.
  13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

PSO can certainly make a difference, particularly for me if I have several day's growth.
    My beard/whiskers isnt/aren't thick or dense enough to require daily PSO use for straight razor shaves, but I appreciate the extra 'lube' on those heavier growth days. :happy088:

Bama Samurai, Hodge and macaronus like this.
  14. Paladin38201

Paladin38201 Member

Slow and easy, while enjoying the sensation. Lol

Bama Samurai and macaronus like this.
  15. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I spent more time this morning figuring out my beard growth on my neck, man was it well worth the time! I thought I had it all figured out, I was way wrong, spend time mapping out your beard growth! It's well worth it.

macaronus and bnccna2 like this.
  16. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I should walk through these posts from time to time. You always learn something. And it's only 72 pages by now. :)

Bama Samurai and Spud like this.
  17. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I learned that working with the same soap/cream over a period of time improves your lather. I'm pretty strict about same razor/blade for a week, however, I change soap/creams everyday. The Focus thread has helped immensely.

Rufus T. likes this.
  18. hippiebrian

Lucky Tigerror Aspen smells amazing but it doesn't feel as good on my face as my old standby Gabels.

Hodge likes this.
  19. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I hadn't used my Ikon 102 for a while and forgot how good it shaves. 12 hours after shaving my face felt like it normally does after 6 hours. I'll definitely grab it more often from now on.

Hodge and macaronus like this.
  20. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I learned that tugging is not the only sign of a straight razor needing to be touched up. Blade skipping can be fixed by touching it up as well. 10 laps on a pasted strop and it felt like a new razor.

macaronus likes this.