What do YOU enjoy most about shaving?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by HolyRollah, Jan 15, 2014.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I had an interesting discussion with my three sons last night regarding shaving. ALL three of them wear extensive facial hair (2 with beards, 1 with goatee & 'stash), and simply do not understand my devotion to nor the pleasure I get from my morning shave routine.

I stated to them that, yes, I do look forward to my morning shaves now ever since I 'got back' into wet-shaving and thoroughly enjoy all the tools of the trade, the ritual and the routine. To cap it all off, my reward is having a successful outcome: a freshly-shaven, smooth, great feeling face.

What do I enjoy most about the entire shave process? The Lathering. Love the smell, love the feel, love the brushing on of a thickly-made lather with a well-loaded brush. Decadent. And yes, sometimes when I have leftover lather & I'm done with the actual shave, I will go ahead and lather up one more time just so I can experience the feel again…must not waste any! ;)

How about you? What part of the whole shaving process do you find the most enjoyable?

JRod22, macaronus, BigT and 5 others like this.
  2. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

The feeling of my skin on my face and head just after a shave:shaver

3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    The thing I most enjoy about wet shaving is EVERYTHING. I am no longer locked into one razor and a can of goo. Now, I plan out my week varying razor, soap, brush, and after shave. The variety keeps things interesting, and I just love to shave now. I don't dread it. It is fun again...

Shaver X, macaronus, BudWhite and 5 others like this.
  4. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

When you say "What part of the whole shaving process do you find the most enjoyable?" I'm wondering if I can include finding a cool vintage razor for less than 5 bucks at an antique shop or rubbing my face mid morning just for the feel...
    I have to agree with Jim and say everything. Several years ago I enjoyed pipe smoking and thoroughly enjoyed it. The difference between just shaving (with a cartridge or an electric razor) and wet shaving is something like the difference between smoking cigarettes and smoking a pipe. There's all kinds of interesting, relaxing, and enjoyable elements to smoking a pipe including visits to tobacco shops and collecting all of the accoutrements that add to and enhance the actual smoking a bowl of fine tobacco. While the actual shave is fantastic I sometimes wonder if the anticipation of the next shave equals the shave itself. If walking into your shave den and smelling all the soaps and selecting the days equipment... sorry, I'm drooling... Man, I'm sure glad you guys care, my wife thinks I've gone nuts. I think she's afraid I'm going to start bingeing on toothpaste, toothbrushes, and floss next, maybe join a deodorant forum or something...
    Anyhow, I digress... back to your question... I suppose if pressed I would have to say the second lather and pass. My second lather often seems to feel creamier and go on smoother than the first and my second pass is usually the pass that gets me smooth.
    Excuse me for a minute while I go smell some aftershave.

JRod22, fzrider, macaronus and 5 others like this.
  5. imGrunt

imGrunt Active Member

For me it's a tie between the very smooth face and the lathering! It's like a massage for my face:)

macaronus, jeraldgordon and Jayaruh like this.
  6. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I love face lathering, smelling different soaps, using a menthol aftershave, and the skincare afterwards.

macaronus, BigT and jeraldgordon like this.
  7. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

When it all comes together, great prep, good lather (you know, you want to take a picture) and then a DFS shave, it does not have to be bbs for me. Through out the day I sometimes give my face a little rub and remember my shave went that morning. And the best part, when getting ready to hit the sack, I can feel a little but of stubble and know I can do it all over again the following morning. Now that is living large.

Dave

8. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Everything. I spend every day working with nothing but a lot of technology at work but each morning I get to wake up and have a relaxing shave the same way my grandfather did every morning and it reminds me of him raising me since my dad disappeared when I was 2. Love remembering the good things every day!

fzrider, macaronus, tuxxdk and 2 others like this.
  9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I love the wide variety of.products I use. Not being stuck with what the mainstream mega manufacturers are pushing for that sake of the ol mighty dollar.

macaronus, tuxxdk and jeraldgordon like this.
  10. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

The scents! So many good ones out there, so little money and time to try them all... :(

11. joshkamradt

joshkamradt Member

I enjoy the time alone relaxing ,the smell and most of all bbs shaves .

macaronus, BigT and jeraldgordon like this.
  12. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I love the old hardware, whether it's a new or old brush, new or old razor, but the oldish hardware designs/functions from back then. I'm very retro in many aspects and the shaving regime has really caught me. If a Gillette Fusion was just as good or even better I wouldn't be enjoying it this much purely because it's new-tech, plastic and plain'ol boring!
    I love picking a soap/cream and lathering it, knowing I get a nice lather out of it that's so much better than canned goo.
    I absolutely love the economy in it. Yes I know so far I've spent too much but it has become a hobby for me. But should I choose to "just shave" it can't be done cheaper than this.
    I love the ritual - I relax and I come out feeling good.
    I actually love applying lather to my face, painting with the brush feeling the soft lather.
    I love looking in my cabinet and seeing that small real-estate, knowing it'll last the next 15 years should I not buy anything new from now on.

I can't single out what I enjoy most, as for me it's the whole put together that makes it for me.

macaronus, joshkamradt, BigT and 5 others like this.
  13. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Peace and quiet

14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I love the feel of the lather and the resulting VERY smooth skin.

Shaver X, macaronus and HolyRollah like this.
  15. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

I have to say it is the relaxation of the entire process, but if I picked one thing, it would be hands down the satisfaction from a creamy lather mmmmmm warm.. creammmyyy.... latherrrrrr :rolleyes:

macaronus likes this.
  16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

You're asking me to pick a favorite? ;)

macaronus and HolyRollah like this.
  17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Ok, Steve—just for you: which element of the shaving process would you miss most if you had to give it up? :signs002:

…and stating "all of it" doesn't count. :D

18. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

No.

LOL :D

macaronus likes this.
  19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

"A rose by any other name..." :p :happy102:

macaronus, burnout961 and HolyRollah like this.
  20. Aimless1

Aimless1 Active Member

I sit in front of a computer monitor all day in a job where the work is never done. And the work I do must fall within certain parameters to be acceptable. Little room for free will.

For me shaving is a zen like experience. From the time I run the hot water to the last wipe with the towel to clean up, I have an incredible sense of accomplishment and no matter the shave, a job well done. Preparation ... do I choose the mug, scuttle or face to lather up? which razor do I choose? the blade? soap? brush? Oh, the wonderful choices and variety to accomplish such a simple task. Shaving ... PLAY TIME! I get to make lather, swirl it around, paint my face and then swipe it off. Not just once. Three or more times depending on my mood and beard. Ahh, post shave. Clean my tools, put them away and more customization ... balm? splash? lotion? nothing? scents?

Makes me want to go home and shave again :bounce015:

Shaver X, macaronus, Ryan B and 7 others like this.