What do YOU enjoy most about shaving?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by HolyRollah, Jan 15, 2014.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

[​IMG]

hippiebrian, macaronus and Aimless1 like this.
  2. Adriano Arrigo

Adriano Arrigo Well-Known Member

The best part is the whole hour (except when my sons knock at the bathroom door) I take for only myself.... Moreover I like the shape of De razors, best if vintage

macaronus and Bristle Me like this.
  3. burnout961

burnout961 Well-Known Member

The answer is "E"- all of the above:).​
    But to narrow it down a bit, finding the vintage gear at a good (read really low) price and the 20 mins. or so of me time before going to work.​

hippiebrian and macaronus like this.
  4. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I can only compare my first few weeks of traditional DE shaving to writing with a fountain pen (my other pastime). I enjoy the meditative nature of each step, paying attention only to what I am doing at the time. With a fountain pen, I simply enjoy watching letters and words and sentences form from the nib of my pen(s). With shaving, I can focus on the beard prep, the lather, the brush, the sound of the blade as it removes the whiskers, the feeling of cold brisk water closing the pores on my checks, the tightening of the skin when I apply an aftershave. I enjoy living in the now and wet shaving seems to help me focus on the now for the time it takes.

hippiebrian, fzrider, dscaver and 4 others like this.
  5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

A bit of meditative self-time.
    Also, the 'fun' in chosing what to use a particular day - what razor, soap, blade, brush, a/s, balm - and seeing/feeling it all come together.

6. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

I enjoy everything about it. I would say that the 20-30 minutes of "Me Time" is at the top of the list.

7. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

I love the "me" time, no kids, no wife, just me and my thoughts, shaving with a straight razor with warm lather, at the end of the shave admiring my handywork and knowing that I have "tamed the beast" one more time!!

8. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

The super smooth result after a successful shave with a favorite razor.

This morning it was an iridium re-plated 1950 Gillette Aristocrat, loaded with a Personna blade (blue box).

fzrider and macaronus like this.
  9. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

It's really the total package...

Prep - I enjoy the mini "spa" time in the morning with a hot towel and a massage with a scented PSO.
    Process - I love the ritual process including the variety of tools, software and scents including picking out a setup for the day. As a side-note here, the most enjoyable part of the actual process for me is the lathering as well. I enjoy the soft and luxurious scrub of face-lathering that results from a high quality 2-band brush.
    Payoff - The results of the above Prep and Process are positively peerless! Actually kind of a joke around the house is that the skin on my face is softer than my precious wife's!

Sorry bout all the P's...Not sure what happened there! ;)

10. JBSharp

JBSharp Well-Known Member

I don't need a lot of "me" time, but I do enjoy the minutes that I get to focus entirely on myself. Also, I actually revel in the simplicity of it. Shaving is one of the few things in my life which I've managed to keep simple, and there's something of a pleasing single-mindedness in the routine of using a single blade for the days that it's good, only changing razors then, and using a soap from start to finish. Outside of that, most of my few razors are heirlooms, and that always feels good in my hands. I enjoy the tools, as Kevin said, and their history, as with Justin.

Tdmsu and BIllyBowlegs like this.
  11. BIllyBowlegs

BIllyBowlegs Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Aimless here. It is definitely a Zen type of experience. I have noticed that while I am in the process of shaving I am not thinking about anything else, only focusing on shaving. I would fall short of calling it meditative, but it clears my mind for sure. Very relaxing. And completing an awesome shave is pretty gratifying.

Best Regards

hippiebrian, macaronus and Aimless1 like this.
  12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

So, perusing your post, we now know you prefer a package that provides all the proper processes (including prep & payoff) for your personal pleasure. :p

13. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

To put it in a nutshell, that pretty much sums it up!

macaronus and HolyRollah like this.
  14. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

From the very first time I tried it, I've always "HATED" modern wet shaving using a Trac2 and canned goo..:angry019:
    What I LOVE about "traditional" shaving is that it's everything modern shaving isn't...
    "traditional" shaving is history,tradition,meditation,physical and mental pleasure,adventure,hunting sometimes very elusive game,comraderie.............:happy088:

fzrider, macaronus, Aimless1 and 2 others like this.
  15. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I like that I learned a new skill. Not everyone can pull out a straight and get a good shave, use a safety razor without mauling themselves, or even build a lather with a brush. Those all take time to learn and master and once you have the skill, it is yours.

16. Sunflake

Sunflake Well-Known Member

Honestly..... that I don't hate shaving anymore!

17. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Everything everybody else said is really true. But, the number 1 reason for me is:

The Really Cool Scars that all the chicks dig!!! You all have really cool scars don't you? You don't? Why not? You think I may be doing something wrong? What do you mean? :signs131:

burnout961, macaronus, Troy M and 3 others like this.
  18. wolftiger

wolftiger New Member

+1

19. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I actually do still have a scar on my chin from a shaving incident which occurred when I was about 16.

jeraldgordon likes this.
  20. BudWhite

BudWhite Well-Known Member

Definitely the ritual and the "me" time. I also enjoy using a piece of old metal from 50 years ago and a sharp blade to tame my facial hair. Very primal and empowering.

hippiebrian likes this.