What do YOU enjoy most about shaving?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by HolyRollah, Jan 15, 2014.

1. fzrider

fzrider Active Member

:signs011:

2. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

PM me your address ;)

I'll ask if Dave or Brian are willing to go. Or Geoff perhaps. And then we'll have to hope they don't get lost...

3. goodmoodmike

goodmoodmike Member

Got to be, lathering up with a nice smelling soap, or feeling the BBS contours of my face throughout the day after the shave.

Bristle Me, BudWhite and macaronus like this.
  4. chuckorc

chuckorc Member

I was just thinking about this topic this morning. I used to hate to shave. I would literaly go about 3-4 and then trim with an electric clipper. I got back into shaving because it almost lined up my chin strap beard almost perfectly with my jaw line if I didn't apply too much pressure. But I never really enjoyed it until, I got away from the goo and carts. Using them, I would have to shave approx every other day and couldn't miss or I would get razor burn (too often), or ingrowns (waited too long). Ever since finding out about DE and the "old way" of doing things I can shave everyday without irriatation, and find myself looking forward to it each day. It's hard to define my favorite part and if pressed I could narrow it down to lathering my beard, the feeling of the brush on my face along with the scent of the soap is hard to beat. The only thing I possibly enjoy more is the refreshing sting of the aftershave once the shave is done.

Bristle Me and Troy M like this.
  5. Christopher

Christopher New Member

Proper wet shaving is a skill. It's a craft that used to provide a good living to many barbers throughout the world. The private time is nice. But with so much of the day devoted to instant gratification, IM's emails, mobile phones, constantly connected, the best part is being disconnected, using old world tools and techniques, and still getting the absolute best result. It is not a hobby, it is a lifestyle. Take pride on your appearance, others WILL notice.

HolyRollah likes this.
  6. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

For me it's going back to when I would pull up a stool next to my grandfather at the bathroom sink and he would let me lather up and 'shave' with a bladeless superspeed. Or when my dad would splash a little AS on my face. I did the same thing with my son and I hope he will with his someday. You don't get that feeling of tradition with canned goo and carts.

KLF and macaronus like this.
  7. FloydianDM

FloydianDM New Member

The first stroke with a DE.

hippiebrian likes this.
  8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I really enjoy that I am immediately satisfied with the gear I have - razor, blade, soap and brush and that I can totally relax and not ever even contemplate going to silly places like eBay and look for more stuff. Totally love that.

9. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

Fry-can-t-tell-meme-generator-not-sure-if-sarcasm-or-serious-e14739.jpg

hippiebrian and macaronus like this.
  10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

VERY much sarcasm :)

hippiebrian and macaronus like this.
  11. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

The couple minutes after I've lathered up. Letting it "sink in" so to speak, so I can presumably get that comfortable clean shave.

12. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

The best part of my shaving routine might be splashing on the aftershave, and selecting a fragrance that goes with it.

13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Revisiting this thread from Jan 2014, I've come to the conclusion over the past 20 months that the whole 'peaceful and quiet time' ritual of a daily morning or evening shave is something I look forward to with anticipation.
    The whole experience, usually less than 30 minutes, I find very therapeutic. Sure, there are certain aspects of the process I enjoy more (stropping the blade, lathering, the cool sting of menthol aftershave), but it is the entire process done in peaceful and tranquil isolation from the world that is perhaps my favorite.

hippiebrian likes this.
  14. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'd say the fact that I use a disposable razor knocks off a lot of that 30.

15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I imagine it would.
    For me, its not just about how quickly I cross the finish line clean & smooth...it's the whole journey! :happy088:

16. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I, too enjoy the "my time" of the shave experience. The Prep, the lather and the post-shave feeling are zen-like.

17. hippiebrian

hippiebrian Well-Known Member

I like that I spend just a little time on me in the morning. That 15 minutes or so dedicated to nothing other than shaving beats the heck out of the 5 minutes I used to spend tearing my face up with a cart every 3 or 4 days (because my face wouldn't handle a daily beating with those things).

I feel ready to face the day after a shave now, and I feel much more neat and clean. Wet shaving has lead to a little more pride in how I look and how I feel about myself, believe it or not. Even in my daily jeans and a black tee shirt, I feel a little bit like a gentleman. It has lead to the use of natural soaps and better care of my skin overall. I'm beginning to realize what women get out of all that prime time. I'lol still keep the high and tight buzz cut, however. It's easier and no helmet hair!

18. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I enjoy all the parts of traditional shaving from the brush, soaps, razors, blades etc.. But the part I enjoy the most is the 'zen' time. I tried meditation in the past put is impossible to clear my head of all thoughts. Shaving provides a similar experience in that it requires my total attention and immersion in the process. DE and straights are little different for me.
    DE doesn't require the intense amount of concentration it once did, I can enjoy the 'lather' more. Straights offer a real sense of accomplishment, especially when there is no blood.