What do you hate about wet-shaving?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by HUF, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

72 hours between shaves does seem like a lifetime..:eek:

2. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I hate having to wait until tomorrow to shave again.

3. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Not much, unfortunately.

4. TCBENNETT55

TCBENNETT55 Active Member

My pet peve is the lack of supplies at a B&M store. Waiting for the mail is hard. Enjoy the benefits of the various online vendors. I guess will just have to live with it.

Albert Hui and BigMark like this.
  5. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

Hate I did not get introduced to wet shaving before I was 40 I could already be a master of so many kinds of razors.

6. idvsego

idvsego Well-Known Member

This for me. I am lucky enough to have one store relatively close with some good stuff but the rest is kind of crap.

TCBENNETT55 likes this.
  7. Aranya

Aranya New Member

I hate having to wait two days until I can shave again
    I hate how obsessed I am with getting bbs
    I hate that I went into this to save money and I can't stop buying products
    But I love everything about it too!

8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

A common obsession that regrettably is fraught with peril.

Chasing the BBS face regularly and you're setting yourself up to:
    • be disappointed daily.
    • develop skin rash, irritation and soreness.
    • never be satisfied with anything less.
    [​IMG]

rosierell likes this.
  9. idvsego

That is the most valuable lesson I have learned I think.

10. Don Case

Don Case New Member

being very very new to wet shaving everything is great so far. If I had to pick one thing I guess it would be that as soon as I buy anything I read that it was junk in someone else's eyes and that I should have bought something else. However like I said being this new to it I don't know enough to be offended. lol so all's well here

11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Don, one thing you'll discover about the topic of wet-shaving: everyone has a personal opinion, especially when it comes to the hardware & software. ;)
    There are practically no right or wrong products to try or use (with some exception) as each of us has our own preferences in what we enjoy.
    Personally, I'm no fan of certain products such as Arko, The Veg, smallish razors (SE-types), Williams soap, and many 'barber shop' scents— but there are MANY here who do enjoy these products.

I pray for them daily. :D

Kizurra likes this.
  12. idvsego

Yeah, one man's trash is another man's treasure in this game. Plus some people hate a product but eventually find out they were lacking on technique or had a bad combination. Or maybe this is just the excuse I use to want to try it all no matter what.

13. Don Case

Don Case New Member

I do understand that everyone has their own opinion when it comes to gear. My rant was really me coming to my own understanding that at 51 roaring up on 52 I have found a subject that I know absolutely nothing about. An eye opener to say the least. However I do want to thank you both for making me feel welcome here ( joined today) I am looking forward to learning much more about wet shaving and straight razors. After all it can only go up from here. Thank you HolyRollah and idvsego for your input I look forward to many more discussions.

SHAVEWIZARD420 and gmaugie007 like this.
  14. Don Case

Don Case New Member

I bought my very first straight razor a few weeks ago it was a gold dollar. Being as new as you can get to SR shaving I had no idea if the gold dollar was a good or bad razor in fact I didn't know anything about the different brands. I now know that I have a lot to learn. I am leaning towards buying my own stones and learning to hone my razors myself. I do understand that it is easier said than done. From the sounds of it the gold dollar maybe just fine to start with but can anyone point me to a good place to buy stones and what grits I should start with? I see people talk about customizing the razor, why would you need to do this to a new razor cheap or not?

15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Gold Dollars can be decent razors, but some can be difficult to get a proper edge. Most straight razor folks will advise against one getting into stones, hones and 'sharpening your own' until one is normally further down the straight razor path. Rational behind this is due to the amount of concentration, focus and attention required to master shaving with a straight razor (often several months of daily use for one to feel somewhat competent) that its better to worry about honing at a later date. Many get their first razor honed by a professional. The advantages of doing this are 1) you'll get the most comfortable shave possible 2) you'll learn what a truly keen edge feels like; sort of establishing a bar for what to strive for when one decides to 'hone your own.'
    Our fellow TSD member, Glen (@gssixgun ) is a reliable resource for honing (www.gemstarcustoms.com)

Kizurra and 45auto like this.
  16. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

What do I hate about wet shaving? Hmmm, Finding new wrinkles or my wife bumping into my arm. is not fun either

17. mfrancis79

mfrancis79 Well-Known Member

I hate how addicting this has become, so many new things to try.

Rusty blade, drjenkins and trey06dmd like this.
  18. drjenkins

drjenkins Well-Known Member

:signs011: This x 1000

trey06dmd likes this.
  19. Staying fresh BoB

Staying fresh BoB New Member

I hate that I can't afford to buy all of the soaps and brushes I want.

Rusty blade and SHAVEWIZARD420 like this.
  20. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I hate having to move all the dead bodies especially after I've...wait, wrong thread.

jeraldgordon likes this.