What do you hate about wet-shaving?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by HUF, Nov 16, 2014.

1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

The way I see shaving is it is fun. If you hate something about it then the shaving hobby is just a chore. That's the way it used to be for me but not anymore

Spud likes this.
  2. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

So many are saying that DE-SE shaving is so expensive, My original start out cost was under $5, That included a new Gillette Slim Adjustable razor 2 blue blades included, Williams soap, Boar brush and Mug. Back when I was a young man My Dad went with me to the Drug store and he advised what to get, I must admit there was not a lot of choices as there is today. Cartridge razors was not as popular as they are today and not as good.
    Today a start up cost can possibly be a ONE time cost of a razor (Parker $30, EJ 89 $40) Almost 1 years worth of Astra blades 100 @ $12 . Two years worth of a kilo of Cella croap $38, Boar brush $20, Mug or Bowl- Kitchen cabinet.
    There are sooo many Razors, Blades, Soaps and Creams etc. to choose from that it's gotten confusing. Now days in this age of computers and on line shopping, it's no wonder we spend so much on shaving (me included) After looking at my Shave Den that includes maybe 20 razors 6 brushes 8 bowls and mugs 5 different blades (about 300 in all) but just 2 soaps and 2 after shaves. I'm back to 1 Razor 1 blade 1 bowl 1 soap, ok i do rotate the brushes.
    So back to the Thread Question: What do I hate about Wet-Shaving? Not much, I look forward to each mornings shave. Oh, and my wife bumping into me while shaving. Ouch

3. xnykid

xnykid Well-Known Member

the better i get at this the longer i have to wait to do it again

Joef likes this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Since I began shaving with a straight razor, there has been a moratorium on visitors (wife, sons, pets) in the room while I'm shaving… ;)

Kizurra likes this.
  5. billdog2

billdog2 Well-Known Member

Not much to gripe about since I found my J1 and some medication for the tremors. With the J1 it goes so fast that my meds don`t have time to quit on me. Now believe me when I say I enjoy every minute fiddling with all the paraphernalia and trying new stuff. Rotating different objects etc.,etc.,etc.,as Yul Brynner would say. Cleaning all the instruments, wash basin, counter top is your responsibility, time consuming but necessary. Taking care of your prized possession is an art in itself, which I personally enjoy. All in all, an electric razor, which I had to use for awhile is boring(for me). For those who
    enjoy an electric shave.... Go for it! And God Bless. But as far as hating anything about an event that I love sounds contradictive. Just my views.

With respect to all who shave, Bill
    I did it wrong again. I think I was supposed click on reply first. Hope my message goes through.

6. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I hate that I have too many razors to choose from and I can't just say, yeah this is the one, And it seems to be difficult to get rid off them. One day it's sell it, the next day it's naw I'm keeping it.:angry019:

7. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

My sink needs more care, now, because more regular shaving means more regular attention to preventing hair clogs.

Paul Turner likes this.
  8. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

The addictions! :eek:

9. jimmy Mac

jimmy Mac Well-Known Member

The wait till the next shave

billdog2 and DLP like this.
  10. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

+1 Well there is that also. :happy088:

11. billdog2

Yeah, you know when it affects me the most is in the late afternoon or after dinner, I`ll be sitting watching tv and I`ll rub my face and feel a slight stuble, oh boy,how good my J1 is going to feel.

Happy shaving, Bill

jimmy Mac likes this.
  12. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Maybe this thread should be what we love about shaving, This day is nearly over and morning is closer. I used to take 10 min. to shave before work, but now days I take 15 or maybe 20 min. My wife once asked why I take so long to shave now days? I replied. Why do you take so long taking your bath? She just gave that understanding smile.

billdog2 likes this.
  13. billdog2

Yeah, you know I was thinking the same thing. There is very little that I don`t like and besides the benefits out weight the small inconvenient weepers and such. By a mile.

Thanks for being on the same wave length, happy shaving, Bill

14. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

How it seems like nobody in my generation appreciates a clean shaven face. I'm capable of growing a beard and did so over the summer. I guess I could still break out my brush and cream/soap to keep my neck and cheeks looking neat. I find nothing attractive or sophisticated about neck beards or big piles of hair that seem to be popular among my age demographic.

billdog2 likes this.
  15. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I hate missing spots that I should have had the first time. The lesson-take more time.

chevyguy likes this.
  16. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Great lookin' dogs!!!!

17. billdog2

From looking at your picture, you look a lot younger than me(80). When I was growing up, it seemed to me that the only men who wore beards were the "old fogies". I kinda contributed that to age and shaky hands. Almost all grown men shaved a clean face and wore a hat. The word around town when I was young was, facial hair was a sign of sexual inhibitions. Probably a false premise. I have 2 sons and a son-in-law with facial hair around their upper lip and chin, all 3 are almost identical( too lazy to work around a difficult area, maybe?) I don`t know maybe they just like it that way. Whatever, I enjoy working my razor around all areas as close as I can and when the 5 o`clock shadow doesn`t show up until around 8, I don`t feel like I need to wash my face.
    Happy shaving, Bill

mrchick likes this.
  18. DrTerror

DrTerror Well-Known Member

I have really tried to find something I don't like about wet shaving,but I honestly can't!.I see every shave as a learning experience,regardless of razor,blade,prep,brush,etc,so sorry!,there is nothing I don't like!.

mrchick and billdog2 like this.
  19. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

When I grew my beard, I kept it looking pretty clean. I'm 24, so that should give you an idea of what I'm dealing with here. I also have military service under my belt, so being clean shaved was a must for me. There are still quite a few guys in my generation with Duck Dynasty style beards. When I cleaned up my beard, I used my DE razors and shaving oil. It was easier that way and didn't make as much of a mess and reduced clutter. I only shaved my neck and a small part of my cheeks.

mrchick likes this.
  20. billdog2

Ditto, my friend.

DrTerror likes this.