What do you think of the new Corvette?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by BigMike, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

:happy088:

Hembree and Shaver X like this.
  2. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

As much as I love the style and design of the new corvette I feel it should have been renamed to simply C8 Stingray or something other than the Corvette. I don’t feel like it carries any heritage any longer which is disappointing. The goal for GM is to turn the corvette into a super car. While they are succeeding with the goal that is just not what the corvette was ever meant to be. Don’t get me wrong there is always performance versions but changing the entire frame is a bit drastic in my opinion to maintain the Corvette name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hembree likes this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

For all you guys saying it's a drastic change, and too far away from what it should look like, how are your feelings about the 1982-1984 change??

BigMike, brit and Hembree like this.
  4. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of the Corvette Stingray design up until 1982. When they changed the model in 1983 I was not happy with the result. I actually think this new design is continuation generally but a vast improvement. But I wouldn't say it is in the spirit of the pre 1982 model and don't quite understand why they are using the name Stingray since it doesn't look much like the original Stingray.

brit and Hembree like this.
  5. DaltonGang

Because it's an iconic name for Corvettes, and it helps sell cars.

6. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

Yes. And it's important that everyone know that's all it is.

7. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Loved the early C4s.

brit likes this.
  8. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Big Bend Chevrolet in Cheifland Florida has an allocation of two cars since they are not a high volume Vette dealer, and my name is on one of them! Sweetches!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  9. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Its fine. Its too little, too late, IMO though. GM is about 5 years late to the party and should have jumped in when the Ford GT came out.

10. stingraysrock

The Ford GT is a mighty fine automobile, but is unobtanium for my wallet.

The C8 on the otherhand is just about in my pocket!

Thank You Big Bend Chevrolet!

11. stingraysrock

Also, there was no Vette to be had in 1983; too many problems with the switch from C3 to C4. Chevy had to destroy nearly everything and wait another year until they got their poop in a group.

I do not like the C4 at all, and did not look at the brand again until the C7 Stingray.

12. stingraysrock

Stingraysrock Forever! Even though the car has nothing to do with my screen name. :eatdrink047:

BigMike, brit and Hembree like this.
  13. Hembree

There was only one 1983 Corvette. When you get down to it there were no 1983 vettes.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    brit likes this.
  14. Hembree

I never liked the back end of the C7. The c7 was a stop gap car for chevy to get to the c8.

15. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Which is exactly the problem. The Corvette is GM's halo car, much like the Viper used to be for Dodge or the Hellcat currently is.
    It's supposed to be about who can build the fastest car, even if the average Joe cant afford to buy it. Mustangs, Camaros and Chargers are for us regular guys.
    Even still, I'm glad to see GM making it. I'm a GM hater and for good reason (I grew up about 10 miles away from the former GM Janesville plant and GM really handled that who deal poorly) but I'm also a car enthusiast and like to see the American manufacturers do well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

i like the 68-72 vette the most..the sexy looks and the horsepower to back said looks..but thats me..

BigMike and DaltonGang like this.
  17. CastleShave

That was a terrible change but still kept quite a bit of similarities to the corvette itself. This was probably the ugliest gen of the corvette ever made

BigMike and brit like this.
  18. DaltonGang

I agree, even though I had a 1986. Nothing but headaches.

CastleShave and brit like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

the eighties was a giant coke/disco hangover ,in styles,cars,clothes..imo..

BigMike and CastleShave like this.
  20. CastleShave

very true

brit likes this.