What Do You Use For Home Defense??

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by DaltonGang, Feb 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

Yep. The 1911 is the CDP II in 4in. The revolver is Kimbers first such gun in .357. Don't let it being their first one fool you, they are terrific and have super smooth triggers.

BamaT likes this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Tampa gun show this weekend, I just learned.

BamaT likes this.
  3. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

My son has a Kimber 5” stainless steel .45 ACP, and it shoots like a champ. We worked up a handload using a 200 grain cast truncated semi-wadcutter at about 750 fps, that will shoot one ragged hole at 15 yards, shooting off sandbags.

A friend has the revolver, and absolutely loves it.

4. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

The .380 should very easy to shoot in the Glock 42, and would probably be a better choice for someone that isn’t an experienced shooter. Regarding stopping power, putting rounds on target is more important than raw power. With the right ammo selection, the .380 is a viable round, especially in the G42, and hits with it are better than a miss with a more powerful cartridge.

5. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Today I will be carrying a Smith & Wesson Centennial with the grip safety and the safety lock. Not the modern lock but rather the pin that you could insert to lock the safety in the off position.

Times change.

The Centennial I'm carrying today was most likely made in 1957. It was the reincarnation of Smiths earlier top-break Safety Hammerless "Lemon Squeezers".

[​IMG]
    This is a 38 Special (the earlier ones were 32S&W or 38S&W) and all parts are stamped to the frame number including the grip panels. The safety lock in this case is a tiny pin located inside the grip that the owner could insert in a hole in the frame with the safety depressed that then locked the safety in the off position.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    So the goal in 1957 was allow the owner to lock the handgun in the fire position while the goal today is to allow the owner to unlock the gun.

Times Change.

ordinaryshaver, BamaT and gorgo2 like this.
  6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Glock

ordinaryshaver and gorgo2 like this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Sale at local shop, the wife chose the Shield 2.0 EZ, I now have the EC9s.

8. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

I just hang a picture of my wife on the front door, nobody would even think about breaking in..

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Redrock, ordinaryshaver and gorgo2 like this.
  9. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

The idea of "stopping power" in a handgun that you will carry, and become proficient with is a fallacy at best and a pipe dream at worst. I'm not saying that you cant kill someone with a handgun, but let's remember the reason one carries a handgun. It is to either have a firearm that is redily accessible or to fight their way to a rifle.
    A rifle "stops" a fight. 2 5.56 or 7.62x39 or even a 20 guage slug to the bread basket, stops a fight.
    However, since those are not easy to carry around, we rely on handguns.
    I have never, nor will I understand the logic behind recommending anything over a .380 as a good round for defense it out of a handgun. Lots of folks died in the early 1900's from .25 acp, .32 acp, and even the much laughed and scorned .32 Smith and Wesson. Now, unless I have missed something from high School biology, the human body doesn't do well with lead that is moving quickly and puncturing the skin.
    Are those previously mentioned rounds the best? No, but is a .357 better than a .30-06? Depends on what you can carry and what you want your firearm to do.
    /End of rant.

BamaT likes this.
  10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I hate to break it to you, but at short distances, like inside a home, handgun rounds do work, very well. Especially the larger handgun rounds. I have seen this, up close, in person, many many times. With modern roumds, they do stop, and put down people, especially when the shot is placed well. It is called the internal shock factor. Also, if the bullet doesnt expand, then it's big hole in, big hole out.

S Barnhardt and mrchick like this.
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The wife and I never want to be forced to use them (who does?) but this evil world is what it is. There's no excuse to be unwilling or unprepared to face it.

brit, BamaT, mrchick and 1 other person like this.
  12. DaltonGang

Very true. Better to have and not need, rather than to need, and not have.

brit, BamaT and gorgo2 like this.
  13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Would have considered a high capacity .22 if there was one I could find that wasn't said to be prone to jamming.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Should new semiautos need cleaning right out of the box, or after a few trips to the range?

BamaT likes this.
  15. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

You've got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

gorgo2 likes this.
  16. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

New guns are often packed covered in grease to protect them during shipping. At the least I would strip it down and give it a good wipe. I clean my guns thoroughly after shooting, no mater if I’ve shot it once, or put a whole box of shells through it, but then I’m a bit anal about that.

gorgo2 likes this.
  17. DaltonGang

At the very least, I would check the bore, to see if it was free of obstructions, ie. grease. I would then wipe as much of the gun, and barrel down, with an old rag, as I could.. Then, just put a small amount of gun oil, in the correct places. Then, fire away.

gorgo2 likes this.
  18. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

My experience has been that polymer pistols do better being shot without cleaning. If your choice is a 1911 pattern gun, then most definitely clean and lube before shooting.

gorgo2 likes this.
  19. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I always like to clean the barrel on a new gun, then very lightly lube with Ballistol.

DaltonGang and gorgo2 like this.
  20. DaltonGang

I picked up a Taurus G2C, 9 mm pistol, not to long ago. Smaller than most double stacks, and fits in most of my pants pockets. I do like the way it feels too. I tend to carry it more, than any other pistol I own.

https://www.taurususa.com/firearms/pistols/g2c/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.