What Do You Use For Home Defense??

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by DaltonGang, Feb 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edsland

Edsland Active Member

Thats what the detective told us plus since there wasn't any bodily violence they didn't get checked for 6 months.

barbersurgeon and S Barnhardt like this.
  2. timabababaluka

timabababaluka No exceptions. Except.....

I have a sawed-off Louisville Slugger close by when I sleep, and from my armed guard days, a Glock 19 in a safe.

I'd like to keep the Glock closer at hand, but with so many young'uns about, there is a significantly greater risk of my 2 year old getting a hold of it than a break-in. I sure do hate playing the odds, though.

3. Slash McCoy

Slash McCoy Well-Known Member

You might not believe this, but I keep a Pietta reproduction Remington 1858 New Model Army 44. Yup. Cap and ball. With 4 spare cylinders and I can do a cylinder change in under 5 seconds without looking. The spares are loaded with 6 rounds. The one that stays in the gun until it gets empty I keep 5 rounds in. It is actually safe to keep 6 rounds because of the safety notches between chambers but I just like hammer down on an empty cylinder just because. So, that gives me 29 .44 cal balls to shoot at something before I am forced to use the gun in blunt object mode. Very intimidating to look up that bore and the sound of cocking is enough to make a criminal heart skip a beat. I hope, anyway. No other guns in the house at the moment. I love shooting black powder and I would go for the Walker but the absence of a top strap on such a huge gun kinda gives me the willies. It is supposed to be good with up to 60gr fffg under a round lead ball but ehm... the 1858 is rated for 35gr and I usually load 30 to make room for a double wad and plenty of crisco on the ball.

Backup is an utterly fearless 350lb wife with a terrible temper and lots of big knives. Who needs a dog?

4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

That's all very "Old School". :happy088:

Get one of those Quick Access handgun safes.

S Barnhardt likes this.
  5. DaltonGang

Very interesting video. Homemade slugs, from Cut Shells.

6. Xring3

Xring3 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. DaltonGang

Love it. :happy088:

S Barnhardt likes this.
  8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Folding stock, 16" barrel "sporting" vz. 58, chambered in 7.62×39. Custom 10 round short mag, with two 30 round magazines near to hand. If I need more than 10 rounds to get to the other 60, I'm already in deep doo doo.

Not a huge fan of "magnum .22" 5.56x45. To paraphrase John Ringo, "this great nation started to go downhill when we switched from a round designed to kill the enemy, to one that just pisses them off."

9. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

I am a big fan of the .22 caliber.

True story, in the late 90's a woman that was living with me shot me in the face while I was sleeping...With, thank the Lord, a .22 revolver.
    The bullet passed through my right cheek, broke 2 molars and I am still around to tell the story. Even the scar it left isn't too bad.

I am glad that she didn't have a 45.

So yes I love the 22

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

10. DaltonGang

I too prefer a larger caliber. But, the little 5.56 AR-15 round is a devastating little round, with soft point rounds in it. With just FMJ, it has some drawbacks. I have seen arms and legs blown off, with this little round, one shot. When it hits the torso, the shock damage is pretty large. Plus, the rifle is light, and you can carry a lot of rounds. Now, shooting through heavy winter cloths, along with body armor, it might be reduced to a nominal round. I prefer a semi auto .308 to many others, but it's heavy, and you cant carry as much ammo.

Now, every day carry, I use a Colt 1911, .45 cal, as well as a Benelli M-2, 12ga.
    At home, or out and about, it is a 9mm or a .380, depending.
    Of course a Remington 870, 12 ga is always near, in the bedroom, with a flashlight attached. For things that go bump in the night.

Keithmax and PLANofMAN like this.
  11. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

12. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

I'm in the market for an M1 Garand for serious shooting, and an M1 Carbine for fun. Got my C&R federal firearms license the other day.
    m1_garand_en_bloc_clip.jpg
    (M1 Garand with its .30-06 clip for reference, not mine).

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  13. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

:signs011:

PLANofMAN likes this.
  14. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

I hope she's still in prison!

15. DaltonGang

Good luck. They are a little pricey now, for decent ones. About 20 or so years ago, many were imported from S.Korea, as surplus, and I picked up a couple for around $200. Some of my coworkers bought the Carbines, and soon regretted it.
    The M1 Garand is a fine battle rifle, of old, and fun to shoot. "Ting".

Keithmax and BigMike like this.
  16. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

There are some interesting theories as to why the M1 Carbine has such a poor reputation. It's probably a combination of things.
    The Garand was the weapon of the front line troops, while the Carbine was carried by those in the rest echelons. As such, it might be seen as an inferior implement. Certainly, the .30 caliber Carbine cartridge is tiny compared against the .30 caliber Garand. More likely, the Carbine build quality was lower if for no other reason than there were far more Carbines produced.
    Second, it is well known that the Carbine's magazine was generally of poor quality, which led to frequent misfeeds. Magazines manufactured in later years have all but eliminated this problem.
    Finally, the ballistics data for the Carbine published by Remmington, at the time, contained a typographic error, giving the impression that the Carbine was far underpowered compared to similar sized cartridges.
    Many modern reviews seem to vindicate the M1 Carbine's performance.
    One last suggestion if you have a vintage Carbine: replace all the springs. It's a fair amount of work, but several people have noted that this makes a drastic improvement in reliability.

17. DaltonGang

I think what doomed the M1 Carbine was the Korean War. The carbine .30 cal round couldn't penetrate the winter clothes of the Chinese/N.Koreans.

18. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I saw a recent test on TV which compared the 30-06 and 30 carbine for close up use. While the 30-06 made a clean hole through a block of clay, the 30 carbine actually caused a greater wound channel. The hole from the 30 carbine was much larger which would cause more damage to the human body. While heavy clothing would slow down the 30 Carbine round, the test did prove it was a much more effective caliber for close up work, which the M1 Carbine was designed for. It basically was made to replace the Thompson Sub Machine gun because it was quicker and cheaper to produce than the Thompson, also to reduce the weight. So basically, the M1 Carbine would be a nice home defense weapon.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    BigMike likes this.
  19. DaltonGang

Yes, for home defense, it would be fine. As for it being a better round, in battle, and causing more damage than a 30-06, I call BS on that experiment.
    .30 cal carbine. 1990 fps. 960 ft-lbs energy.
    30-06 2820 fps. 2920 ft-lbs energy.

20. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

Long story, but she never did any time for it.

While I didn't do anything worthy of being shot [I was leaving her for another woman] I worked to get her probation and counseling. I was also the one to pay her bond.

Btw, her violent nature was my reason for wanting to leave.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

PLANofMAN and DaltonGang like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.