What Do You Use For Home Defense??

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by DaltonGang, Feb 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Brothers from different mothers:
    [​IMG]

2. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to imply you did not, but others reading the thread may not, that’s why I posted that. It’s apparent from your posts you would know! I should have worded it better.

Bobcat and mrchick like this.
  3. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I agree with you on long guns for home defense. All mine are for range shooting. I also have a Mosin Nagant, I love shooting it. Not a match winner, but fun to shoot.

4. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Pretty gun! Looks like it’s brand new out of the box.

5. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

H&K 9MM or a Browning 1911-380 which ever I happen to have close at hand. If I want to make more noise a Remington 870 with 00 buck.

I pray I never have to use any of them protecting the home. However it is a crazy world we live in these days.

Bobcat, mrchick and BamaT like this.
  6. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Why go around the corner, when you are gonna shoot them through the wall?

mrchick likes this.
  7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Right tool for the right job... Friday night was a home invasion by a 40 ft spruce tree. Just finished dissecting him and will finish getting rid of the evidence shortly.

Bobcat, mrchick, jtspartan and 2 others like this.
  8. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

You must REALLY like house fires and reconstruction. :)

I've torn down and helped build enough houses that I don't want to be punching random holes in the walls if I can help it. Besides - if you can't see what you're shooting, you shouldn't be shooting. This is what gets a lot of hunters in trouble in East Texas every year.

"Look, a deer!" *bang bang* "Hey! You shot my cow!"

I'd bet @DaltonGang knows a lot of those kind of stories that he can pass along

BamaT likes this.
  9. Bookworm

Wind storm through the roof?

10. PickledNorthern

Dude. It was YOUR quote. And you’re calling me out on it?

[​IMG]

mrchick likes this.
  11. Bookworm

Ahh - I see. You had quoted my section about going around the corner, which was about the long guns - so I assumed you were talking about using a long gun to shoot through the walls rather than risk it being taken out of your hands.

The CZ-52 was more facetious than anything else. With the rounds in it, two brick walls would barely slow it down. They won't let me shoot it at the indoor ranges because they think it'll punch through even the rifle backstops. Makes you wonder why the military bothers with them for handguns.

12. PickledNorthern

I also quoted your shooting through walls line.

Facetious, or Forum Warrior? Difficult to tell from your post, but funny how you jumped me for quoting your own words.

13. Bookworm

Facetious - here's where you ended the quote.

Thus my confusion. That's it. I figured you were doing a tongue in cheek about the reason that a shotgun would work well inside a home - which leads to carpentry.

14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Educate yourself....

AR15 chambered in 5.56x45 with a sixteen inch barrel and a collapsible butt stock is the ultimate home defense weapon.

No one in their right mind would use what you just wrote.

PLANofMAN, Screwtape and mrchick like this.
  15. Bookworm

How about the Vityaz-SN?

16. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Nope.

17. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I also have a CZ 52. Big, and bulky grip, that shoots a very hot bottleneck round, that has been said to be armour piercing. Not armour piercing like rifle rounds, but body armour piercing, in its fully loaded surplus military load. The stuff we buy here, unless it's the surplus ammo, isn't armour piercing. I bought mine back in the 90's when they first started to import them, around $100. I also bought a case of the surplus ammo. Hot, very very hot round. Very fun to shoot.

Screwtape and mrchick like this.
  18. Bookworm

Same here - spam can of Romanian surplus. I've been told straight out that if you get the Czech surplus ammo, do _not_ shoot it in anything but the CZ-52. It's a machine pistol load, so hotter than the 'normal' Tokarev load.
    It's a silly weapon to keep around for anything other than fun shooting. I'm not planning on finding someone with class 3 body armour against which to test it.

Do you get the feeling that it tries to rotate counter clockwise while firing? All three of mine seem to do that as part of the recoil. (Really accurate though. 75+ yards knocking over those tiny iron pigs at the range)

Screwtape likes this.
  19. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Luckily it spared me any real damage. It fell across the driveway, got my post lamp, wheel barrow, a couple trash cans, and pulled the gutter off my garage in a spot. It could have been much worse.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    BamaT, Bobcat, Screwtape and 2 others like this.
  20. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Yes it is. Good eye!
    I have a couple of regrets as well. My M19 was stolen and I replaced it with a 586. I like the 19 better. I lost my 4” M15 in a divorce and still miss that gun

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.