What Do You Use For Home Defense??

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by DaltonGang, Feb 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    In the wise words of my Lawyer on the topic of Self Defense

"There are few forms of Self Defense that pass the Courtroom test in the US.. The really bad news is even if they pass in a Criminal Court they might not make it through in a Civil Court"

As a Self Defense Instructor for over 40 years I asked, the answer I got from him was not very good
    You really need to knows the laws of the state you live in well, then decide what is the best for you and yours

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I've read anecdotes that are credible. In theory, the main ingredient is lethal in sufficient quantity. Wasp spray target will be rendered helpless pretty quickly, many times foaming and seizing a bit.

Perhaps you've seen a wasp die from this? It's brutal. Sub lethal experience would leave a lasting impression on a human. You're right, it's highly similar to banned chemical weapons. It would be against convention treaties to use this peoduct on a battlefield, in a war between civilized nation states.

I mentioned it only because it is available to women (and others) in places with restrictive laws on obtaining formal weapons.

A seven year old with wasp spray and a golf club could easily kill me. It's not a joke, and using it for anything other than wasps or as a lethal weapon (defensive) of last resort is unlawful and a really bad idea.

3. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Yes. I use the stuff, and I understand how it works. Definitely not nice, but effective. When I use it, I usually then step on the stunned wasps immediately, if I can. I may want them dead, but I can try to end the agony as quickly as possible. Same thing for other vermin. I get no jollies from watching anything suffer.

I'll certainly remember to mention it to my wife. She's not fond of firearms, but we usually keep a can of bug spray by the door.

4. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

I still have my wife's S&W 38 snubby loaded with range loads. I feel comfortable using it but I keep it loaded in a small gun safe bolted to the floor. In an emergency it would take too long to retrieve the gun. House was broken into two weeks after my wife died, they tore the hell out of that safe but did not get it open. Now, a Hello Kitty baseball bat would be ideal. Keep it handy and embarrass the hell out of a gang banger because a senior citizen handed him his ass with Hello Kitty.

Dave
    Watch out for old guys, we can put on a good show in court.

Screwtape and DaltonGang like this.
  5. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

If you live in MN, your best bet is to crawl into a ball and beg for help, but only after you tripped and fell running away, and got ripped to the ground climbing over a fence. But. if you are armed while being raped, make sure you shoot when the rape is in progress, cause if it’s ended, then nobody is really being threatened after all.

We are a super gun friendly state. Just read the fine print.

6. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

It’s the full magnum loads with a 125 grain bullet that caused the problems with flame cutting above the forcing cone, but it would take a lot of those loads to cause that. The Golden Saber 125 grain magnum load isn’t as hot as the original rounds, and causes no problems, nor do the 158 grain magnums. Personally, when I have the time to handload, I like to use magnum cases loaded down to .38 special levels.

7. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I agree. I don’t usually run hot loads for practice.

BamaT, Bobcat and DaltonGang like this.
  8. Bookworm

Yes, the hardest part to get across to people is how to _not_ pull the trigger, and _why_. Too many bad movies - just watch the surveillance tapes of convenience store robberies that get posted online and shown on the news. What's the phrase I've seen before? Something like 'When the gun comes out, most of your choices are now gone, and all those left are bad'? Even when totally justified, and the target was just an oxygen thief out to kill you - they _were_ still a person, and _you_ had to make the final choice. My maternal grandfather made far too many of those choices, I believe.

Screwtape and DaltonGang like this.
  9. Bookworm

Anyone here have any experience with the Ruger LCR Model 5450? (.357 Magnum). I'm wanting to get one for concealed carry (for various reasons).

BamaT and Screwtape like this.
  10. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

Too many to list .

mrchick likes this.
  11. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Not with the magnum version. I do, however have an LCR .38, with factory tritium front sight. I really like it, but not real sure I want to shoot magnums in a gun that light. +P .38’s can be a handful, and if you believe in jello testing, there are several .38 loads that do quite well in the 2” barrel.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    DaltonGang, mrchick and Bookworm like this.
  12. Bookworm

I'd probably rarely use .357 in it for practice; it'd be for emergency use only, but I want to have the option. I haven't had an emergency where I'd need it so far, and hopefully things would remain that way. As for recoil - I've shot my friend's DoubleTap 45 caliber more than once. That thing is a HORRIBLE beast, mostly because there isn't enough grip.

http://www.doubletapdefense.com/

It _works_, but the entire thing is steel, and the back of the grip is square, so no matter how well you hold it, it will beat your hand up. Neither of us wants to shoot it anymore, at this point, unless it was life or death.

I appreciate the warning, however. That's something I was concerned about with the smaller frame. I learned on a Ruger Blackhawk, which is a far, far, larger gun, and the other revolvers I've shot were either smaller caliber, or just as heavy.

mrchick, BamaT and DaltonGang like this.
  13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Not if you know how to use them.
    Brutal nasty veddy effective stuff.

Louisianna has a law that covers you from civil stuff if justified use of force. I always try hard to not test that however. So far it has worked out.

I am a fan of a light weight hollow point. At .38 spl. +P speeds they will expand well but most likely not kill a neighbor through the wall.

14. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I had forgotten about the Doubletap! Yeah, that isn’t exactly a range gun! I’ve got a vintage 3” Charter Arms 44 Bulldog; it’s chambered for .44 special, but even in the Special cartridge case, I handload at the lower end! It’s a handful like the Doubletap.

15. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

No guns. Not yet, anyway. We live in a relatively safe part of our state and local area, so I normally don't really fear much. But heroine is huge in our area now for the last few years so, I still do keep something in the house to protect my wife just in case someone breaks in looking for money or something to steal.

Scott_CCR_Article_3-21-14-470x300.jpg

Love this bat! Shorter than regulation bat, so its easier to swing indoors and more maneuverable, made of an almost indestructible heavy construction grade plastic - its like a war club.

And I do a lot of camping, hiking, and outdoor work, so I always have my knife with me. I use this for everything and it has never let met down. 1/4 inch thick 1095 steel differentially heat treated and all around woods tool for me:

maxresdefault.jpg
    (I'm not Wingman, lol)

I've obviously have never used it on anyone before, but I'd image it could do give me some protection if need be.

mrchick, BamaT and Bookworm like this.
  16. Bookworm

That's a cool name. Almost makes me wonder if there's a New York Haka to go with it :)

17. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

18. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

I just posted a “gun free zone” sign in my yard.

Kidding.............that would be considered baiting I think.

Locked doors, lighted entryways, and a couple loaded pistols seven feet off the floor.

We lost our four legged alarm a few months ago. A good version of those is invaluable.

DaltonGang, BamaT and Bobcat like this.
  19. Hoss304

Hoss304 Well-Known Member

This will double as home and carry gun. New Shield 40 [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

20. Bookworm

I like the magazine release; it looks very easy to use without having to look at it, while not being 'easy' to whack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.