What have you learned about wet shaving recently?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by jbcohen, Sep 14, 2007.

1. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

For the benefit of all - what have you learned about wet shaving lately?

2. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

you.......
    um.
    I like SuperSpeeds :D

3. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Making lather in the hand can be a pretty good idea.
    You CAN shave with a Feather ACD-N without getting a nick or cut.
    That there is such a thing has having TOO MANY shave goodies. Correction, make that too many you don't need and not enough of what you do. :D

4. Will

Will Nevermind

Simpsons brushes are prudy!

5. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Prudy, Mottern Man?

6. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

The Rooney Style 1 Size 1 has a bigger loft than I realize.
    Found another patch with an odd direction of grain.

7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    He meant "purdy", as in "pretty", with a drawl.

8. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

I've learned that I'm really addicted to W & B straights. And that the tip of a Dubl Duck Satinedge spike point WILL dig into your cheek when you aren't paying attention. :rolleyes:

9. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

Lathering on the face is good. Read it a thousand times but never tried it until I was out of town. Now I'm hooked.

10. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Why are you addicted to straights Palmetto? Perhaps some of the rest of us will be convinced of the striaght thing. Personally I am fence sitting on the matter. Other forum members who use both Double edges and striaghts tell me that the straights are not necessarily better shaves.

11. CatMan

CatMan Member

I learned that there is more than DE shaving. I decided to learn how to operate a str8.
    I've read with interest the thread on this forum about borrowing a set for a month or so in order to find out if one likes it. It is not just a great opportunity for the participants, but for everybody interested in str8s reading this thread.
    My take is, not to wait until my skill level in DE shaving is close to our wet shaving veterans here, because I want to keep my expectations low, when I start using the str8. I'm at the stage where I can easily manage my DEs with confidence, and I can figure out by myself what went wrong if I get a less than great shave. IMHO this is good enough to take the next step.

12. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Interesting, I have often thought about the straight edge.

13. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Straights are awesome.
    But they can take a while to learn. :ashamed001

14. CatMan

CatMan Member

I just bought (not received yet) two inexpensive razors (str8) for $12 each, which includes shipping. Do I want to shave with those? Hell no! I intend to use them to practice honing and stropping. No straight razor will get anywhere close to my face until I'm confident that I got these basic skills to a certain level. The goal is to shave myself, not committing suicide! :D

15. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

That's because they have not shave with one. Closer shaves.

Raf

16. Will

Will Nevermind

WORD!

Straight rule, DE's drool.

I still like the DE's but man what a shave I get with a straight, and they are fun too.

17. CatMan

CatMan Member

Just trying get as much information from different sources: How many passes do you need for a (for you) satisfying shave (which I assume is much better than I could ever get with any DE)?

18. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

DE's Drool? :eek: Ahem, I seem to have a note in my Shave Locker about a certain sexy little black tip number. :p

19. Will

Will Nevermind

For me

1 pass with a SER, = 2-3 DE passes.

I am pretty much one and done with a straight pass 2 is a touch up for me (I am still haveing a hard time with doing the chin clean in 1 pass :ashamed001).

20. CatMan

CatMan Member

Interesting! Just like I saw it in some video online the other day.
    You were one of the gentlemen that could borrow a set of straights and strops for about a month recently, am I right? So, what is your usage quota DE/straight now?