What have you learned about wet shaving recently?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by jbcohen, Sep 14, 2007.

1. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I have actually learned....that just when you thought you were doing better....you learn something new each time :)

2. Will

Will Nevermind

Straight all the time now, when I am in a rush or feel like changing it up it is DE time.

I usually use a DE for extra chin work too.

3. CatMan

CatMan Member

I can see myself going in the same direction.
    Do you hone yourself now?

4. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Presently I do 2 passes and touch up for BBS. Of course it took a few shaves to get there. I am still learning new moves most of them with my left hand just so I can get to those hard to reach places inmy neck. I can get there with my right hand but I want to use my left hand instead because it is easier to get to those areas with the left hand. The result is still the same.

Honestly, there is no magic secret, no myths to debunk, it is just another way of shaving. Men shaved that way for many years, some can handle it some can't that is just the way it is. It takes practice just like any other skill.

Was I nervous the first few times, yes. But I had studied and researched as much as I could. Then I just did it and never looked back. Chance always favors a prepared mind.

Raf

5. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I still need to learn to shave with the left hand.

6. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I'm working on it. I can brush a horse with two hands but I'm not so confident put a sharp object in my left hand. Maybe I need to start cutting my meat with my left hand. :D

7. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I try it..at least just on the cheeks.....im getting there.but very odd not seeing aspects of your face.

8. CatMan

CatMan Member

I've been reading about some people reaching every spot in their face with the straight just using the razor in one hand. Thinking about this possibility for a while I now believe that training one's other hand would be the better option on the long run. Yes, this I consider one of the main tasks while actually shaving with a straight, right after getting angle and pressure (or lack thereof) right.

But I'm getting way ahead of myself. Right now I'm (or should be) focused on preparing the razor, honing and stropping. Not just do I have a special interest in this tasks, but also a slight advantage compared to others. I'm working with metal under the stereo microscope every day in my profession as a dental tech. Yes, I'm aware that I can't use the scope while honing, but since I have a pretty good idea of how the edge of the blade is supposed to look like after honing/stropping, I sure can check the blade afterwards and correct mistakes before I jeopardize my face with a less than optimal blade.
    At least I have the best intentions. don't I? :cool:
    We'll see how it works out. Still waiting for my orders (razors, strop, hone) ...
    Thanks for all your very helpful information!

9. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

10. Mr. Igg

Mr. Igg New Member

1. That YMMV really means YMMV. If it won't obviously ruin your face or your gear, it might just be worth trying.

2. More expensive is not necessarily better.

My learning moment for each was that I've recently gotten scary good shaves with VDH ($0.90/puck)--a very YMMV soap--with a table-spoon of glycerin melted in (say $0.10 max)--another YMMV concept.

3. That already, I have at least 18 months of shaving soaps and creams, and I wasn't even aware of it...

11. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Why straights? I dunno. It just seemed like a natural progression. I went from a Merkur classic long-handle to a Gillette adjustable. Then when I actually got a straight, and read and researched all I could, then just gave it a go (like Raf said), I was hooked.

I use my adjustables dialed in on "9." I like the blade exposure. Now with a straight, I have TOTAL blade exposure. I control angle, pressure, etc. So I really do get a closer shave. Now, a super thin DE blade vs. a W & B with a spine a quarter inch thick isn't really a fair comparison...that is until I put both to my face. Then the W & B (or any well-honed str8) can blow a DE blade outta the water!!

As for left hand vs. right hand or using both, I find I can effectively use both. In fact, I'm naturally right-handed, but seem to do a better job with my left hand with a straight. Weird.

12. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

If you really want to learn what straight shave sharp is send your blade to Joe Chandler. When you get it back now you have a point of comparison for your honing. I do not know if there is any correlation between dental tools and straight razors but taking a educated guess I would say two different animals.

I would concentrate on learning how to shave and strop first. This is accomplished by getting a blade shave ready by a honemeister like Joe. Learn to shave and maintain the blade with stroping. As you do this get a ebay special and learn to hone with that one. Focus on shaving and leave the honing for later.

As for acquiring dexterity with the left hand one of the excersices I practiced was to brush my teeth with the left hand. This will help with the control of the instrument. You can also draw circles or shapes in a paper.

Raf

13. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I tried the brushing the teeth thing.....i can do it no problem...but i also have a sonicare :p

14. CatMan

CatMan Member

15. CatMan

CatMan Member

No, dental tools cannot be used for straight razors. That wasn't what I meant. I was comparing the visible (under the scope) precision between the edge of a straight razor and the edge of a crown where it meets the natural tooth. Does this make sense?

Now this is a great idea. I have two cheap razors coming, which I intend to use for honing practice, and a better one from Tilly, - excellent condition, just needs a little honing -, that I will send to a honemeister like Joe. When it returns I'll have the "real thing" to compare my attempts to. Thanks! That's good!

Not bad either! I'll try this, too. Thank you!

16. CatMan

CatMan Member

Same problem here! :D
    But I think they still sell those manual brushes, - somewhere! :D

17. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

I was not suggesting that you could use dental tools as straight razors. I was referring to the edge, guess I did not convey that point clearly. Since I have never seen the edge of a crown under a microscope I can not visualize that point but if you say it is sharp I'll take your word.

Raf

18. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

:signs108