What I discovered about wet shaving in 2016

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Troy M, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I am approaching the 3 year mark of exclusively DE shaving. 2016 has been a great year for settling in with my tools and enjoying the short times of solitude while shaving. Here are some of the things I've discovered:
    • The RazoRock Plissoft has become my main brush. It is so soft, yet provides great feedback while face lathering. I don't have to soak it. It rinses clean easily and dries quickly. It seems to like any soaps or creams that I use and I always have a dense, shiny and slick lather with very little effort.
    • Face/beard prep for me is easy - simply wash my face with soap and hot water and I'm ready to go. If I neglect this simple step, my shave's are never good.
    • Using the soaps and creams I accumulated in my first year of wet shaving has been just fine. I expect I still have at least a 5 year supply.
    • Using a soap and brush combination for at least a month at a time allows me to really dial in my lather. I also discovered that soaps we consider "thirsty" become less so with continued use.
    • High quality razors are important to me. That's why I only have vintage Gillettes and the Blackland Blackbird.
    • Most blades work well for me, even Derby blades.
    What have you learned in 2016?

TitanTTB, preidy, Tdmsu and 16 others like this.
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Some random epiphanies from 2016…
    • I don't really miss DE shaving.
    Tallow or non-tallow soaps can both produce excellent lather (not new, but I've had more opportunities to use & compare good examples of both types this past year).
    • I am consistently drawn to larger, vintage Sheffield blades.
    • I find I prefer cold-water shaves vs hot/warm.
    Soap Commander, Route 66 and Crowne & Crane make exceptional shaving soaps.
    • Developing 'feel' is essential for quality honing results.
    • JNATS are pricey but few finishers compare to the smoothness they yield.
    • Japanase straight razors take exceptional edges.

Tdmsu, mrchick, simms623 and 11 others like this.
  3. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

The two key points that I learned that have improved my shaves this year are:

1. Always be sure your lather is properly hydrated
    2. No pressure means no pressure. when I shave now i try to use such a light touch that the razor doesn't even make a depression in the skin. Just the blade gliding along the surface of the skin.

MPF9, Matt0210, SABOTEURw and 11 others like this.
  4. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Great topic! Here's mine:
    • I prefer straights to any other form of razor. Not saying I won't do an SE, DE, or shavette shave every now and then, but straights give me the most comfortable and consistent results.
    • Cartridge razors still don't work well for me. I tried a few on business trips, and I actually had five o clock shadows those days, along with ingrown hairs. With a good straight shave, I don't get a five o clock shadow until about 36 hours later.
    • Judge a soap by the performance, not the ingredients. Glycerin and non-tallow soaps perform as well as tallow based ones. Or not, if the soap isn't a good one.
    • Honing a straight isn't rocket science, but it does take time and patience. And some method of keeping the 1 and 4 year old away from your bench while you are working.
    • A 5/8th of an inch straight is more nimble, and gives me a faster shave. A 7/8th or larger is more satisfying, and seems to give less irritation.
    • I own too many razors.

Tdmsu, twhite, RyX and 12 others like this.
  5. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Here's my top of mind list:
    • I discovered I could learn to use a straight and enjoy them more than I expected
    • There is always another razor that captures my attention
    • You can have too many razors - heresy, I know
    • When you have too many razors enabling becomes even more enjoyable :happy036:

Tdmsu, twhite, mrchick and 9 others like this.
  6. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

My face likes a Single ATG pass. It also likes cold water shaves with no prep other than a splash of water.

The longer the handle the better the shave. I tend to hold longer handles closer to my face. Shorter handles are held more perpendicular.

Synthetic brushes beat the pants off badgers all the way around.

For me Cella is probably the best soap made. Others are nice but I could be happy with just Cella.

My aftershave of choice is 1 part Brut, one part witch hazel and a little glycerine.

Astra SP is still the go to blade I need to get about five cartons and quit messing around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Matt0210, gorgo2, Karl G and 10 others like this.
  7. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

1. I like it much better than cartridge shaving.
    2. The combinations of brushes, bowls, soaps & creams, razors, blades, aftershaves & colognes are 9.98844E+7 after less than a year of collecting.
    3. A single 30day focus will get you from hacking your face to rarely a weeper.
    4. I really like to pair soaps & aftershaves with colognes.
    5. There are enough variables to have many more 30day foci.
    6. I should stop buying DE razors.
    7. TSD is a great place to learn, get advice, meet great people and spend time.

RetLEO-07, Tdmsu, Karl G and 10 others like this.
  8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I have too much. I am in the process of ridding/paring/PIF'ing/finishing products in my den that will not be replaced.
    I rediscovered AOS Tallow
    I discovered Vintage Williams
    Give me a sharp blade and I can shave with it.

Bama Samurai, preidy, Tdmsu and 11 others like this.
  9. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

The main thing I took away from this year is that I do not need an aggressive razor to get a good shave. It has taken nearly 7 years of DE shaving, but my technique is at a point where I can get fantastic 2 pass shaves from the mildest of razors (Merkur 11c, Gillette Tech, etc...)

gorgo2, Karl G, tuxxdk and 9 others like this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Okay…that's the spirit! Here ya go! :happy088:

[​IMG]

Tdmsu, Karl G, RyX and 9 others like this.
  11. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

This year I realized that my technique is probably the single most important element to a great shave. It came to me a few weeks ago after I got three great shaves in a row using a blade that I would normally rate as sub-average and since then I've been purposely using blades that I've previously dismissed just to prove my theory.

Bama Samurai, MPF9, Karl G and 8 others like this.
  12. David W650

David W650 Active Member

After trying so many DE razors I thought the best one for me was a Gillette Red Tip.

Then I tried the Wilkinson Sword "Classic" razor.

I can't praise it enough from its' easy handling & control that result in great shaves no matter what blade I use with it.

wilkinson sword classic razor.png

13. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

What I have learned this year:
    No matter what I shave with straight or DE vegan,tallow with lanolin,or for sensitive skin shave soap I still get a red irritated bumps from my jaw bone and neck area...using cold water a very keen edge and less passes on my neck keeps the pain away but not the rash.

Why can't I get more than 8 shaves per honing before a much needed touch up on my straights

That having a quality aftershave balm is a must.
    Also Vera is a must to heal my neck.

I still prefer a quality straight shave.

MERRY CHRISTMAS people!

Carbide Mike, Tdmsu, Karl G and 6 others like this.
  14. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

What I learned this year:

I can get the same quality shave from an aggressive DE, aggressive SE and straight razor but I enjoy the straight razor shave the most.

I learned that The Shave Den is the best shaving site for me. I enjoy my friends here, shenanigans are permitted and with the exception of the blade cartels and popsicle stick shavettes there is no fanboyism. Just don't talk trash about the popsicle stick razor and everything is good.

The 30 Day focus allowed me to achieve consistency with my SR shaves.

15. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I touch up my straights after 5 or 6 shaves. I have tough beards and DE razors only last for 2 shaves with me. Just buy more straights then you do not have to pull out your rocks as often.

Karl G, 45auto, Linuxguile and 2 others like this.
  16. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

2016 lessons learned:

1) You are never an expert. NEVER. You can ALWAYS learn more. Drop your pride. Drop it.
    2) You can find good values out there. Spending $300 on a razor, $300 on a brush, etc...is just unnecessary.
    3) Join passarounds and be thrifty. You can spend tons in this hobby...just like any other. Find what you like and what works first. If you are ready to spend more, go for it... don't jump the gun.
    4) Develop trusted sources. If 3 trusted sources recommend a soap...I am trying it.
    5) Develop technique. Many people drop great items because their technique is not up to par. Don't PIF something because it doesn't work the first time...maybe a 30 day focus is in order. Learn to use your tools.
    6) Learn to appreciate scents. If you just hate one, life is too short... don't bother with it. You need to have an appreciation for base, middle, and top notes, though. Learn and appreciate and understand them.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    preidy, Carbide Mike, Tdmsu and 9 others like this.
  17. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Maybe we should have appended these to our What did we Learn thread. http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...om-our-last-shaves.41254/page-98#post-1104492

• As much as I like aggressive razors, the Shavecraft Tech just wasn't enjoyable
    • Feathers tend to cut me up unless I'm using them in my NEW Deluxe.
    • I'm not crazy about the NEW Deluxe...unless there's a Feather in it.
    • I don't like the Gillette 7 O'Clock Black blade as much as I originally thought. Not bad, just not as good as my two preferred blades.
    • I really enjoy the MMOC. This will be the one SE that I keep around.
    • As my technique has improved, and I've moved to almost exclusively synthetic brushes, my soaps last WAY longer.

twhite, Karl G, Drygulch and 2 others like this.
  18. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

I already have 4 that is good enough...it's a quick touch up on the 8k...

Keithmax, Karl G and Troy M like this.
  19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

One brush is enough.
    There's no magic to tallow soaps.
    Injectors give me the best balance of closeness and smoothness

twhite, Karl G, Drygulch and 2 others like this.
  20. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

• Plissoft is where it's at.
    • Life's too short for non-top-tier products. I've become quite ruthless in that regard.
    • Voskhod is my new best friend.
    • I actually like aftershaves..who knew?
    • I'm not a collector.