What I discovered about wet shaving in 2016

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Troy M, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Whoa!:shocked003:...

...Whoa! :drool:

Keithmax likes this.
  2. SABOTEURw

SABOTEURw Active Member

*I've discovered that different products reveal (or expose) stubble in different ways. For instance, my face may feel smooth after 3 lather passes, but if I switch to a lather-less cream, I'll feel stubble. Almost feels like I hadn't been shaving for 40 minutes. What's more, each time you switch to a different product during a shave, stubble is revealed where there previously was none.

* I've discovered that BBS, by definition, may potentially be an unobtainable goal...however, a shave can be so close that it doesn't matter that stubble was not completely removed.

* I've discovered that stubble may potentially never be completely removed; but reducing stubble to a level that it's not seen or (easily) felt is highly doable.

* Long lasting smoothness is the consequence of a very close shave.

* The question should never be about obtaining BBS. More productive questions might be:

"What level of closeness do I find acceptable?"

"What method(s) should I use to consistently obtain the level of closeness I find acceptable?"

"How much am I willing to invest (in time and energy...not money) to master the art of consistently obtaining the level of shaving closeness I find acceptable?"

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    Tdmsu, RyX, Drygulch and 5 others like this.
  3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

-I learned that I prefer injector and SE shaving over DE, hands down. I only have two DE razors I care to keep, or even use occasionally. The rest are parked in the back lot waiting for auction.

-I finally accepted the fact that I am hopelessly addicted to collecting shaving brushes. I do not really collect anything else in the hobby. I try a lot of stuff, pick what I like the best, and everything else goes.

-I learned that my OCD cannot tolerate soaps that leave excessive amounts of white scum on my hardware. They were all removed from the den. Except Tabac. But I will only use it with synthetic brushes.

-I learned that I cannot buy every soap that I hear is good. I Learned to buy more samples. This allows me to try new stuff, get packages in the mail, etc. without stacking tubs to the rafters. I NEED to use up soap.

4. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I learned that you don't need to buy new things all the time to get a good shave.

5. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I learned that I get the closest shave with an injector.
    Then I learned that I can get just as close or closer with a str8. All my Gillette de razors have been sold or given away with the exception of my birth quarter super speed. I sold off my PAL adjustable and am keeping a couple Schick type E.
    I also learned that straights can be had at very reasonable prices:)
    I also learned the benefit of a 30 day focus, and that it was very tempting to hop off the wagon.

RyX, Carbide Mike, twhite and 6 others like this.
  6. Sid James

Sid James Well-Known Member

I learned that I should have picked up a straight years ago and regret not doing so. I also reaffirmed that 'traditional' shaving does not save any money whatsoever.

7. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

This is fairly recent but I finally discovered that I can get a decent and enjoyable shave with a straight razor without bleeding. I also appear to have a new AD to conquer... razors and hones.

Carbide Mike, Shaver X, RyX and 8 others like this.
  8. Redfisher

Word..

9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I've learned that I'm actually getting burned out on chasing "the next best thing"
    Ive come to the conclusion that many people in this"hobby" are shills. The idea of buying every single new cool toy and showing it off is sad.

10. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Hey! I resemble that remark! :)

11. Redfisher

Heck we should all just close up shop and go home.. somebody get the lights on the way out. Good night.

12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

For me, I learned the following:

- I really can use a straight razor and not be rushed to the emergency room

- Honing a straight razor blade can be fun

- Injector razors are wonderful options to DE razors

- This is a great hobby and a great forum

13. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Yeah, I might as well join Wet Shavers Anonymous for my problem!

:p

14. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Hey - if you have fed and clothed your family, paid all your bills, put something aside for retirement - and want to blow the rest on this hobby - go for it. If it doesn't hurt anyone else and makes you happy, its all good.

15. Redfisher

Probably better than hookers and gin!

16. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

This year has been all about discoveries for me in this hobby. I started DE shaving on Christmas Day of last year, but I had used a brush and soaps before that with cartridges.

My discoveries:
    • Cold water shaves work really well for me.
    • Injectors and SEs are my preferred razors, with injectors outranking SEs. I only have two DEs at the moment and haven't used either of them in about 8 months.
    • I want and covet soaps the most in the hardware or software acquisition disorders.
    • A one-pass shave with touch-ups works just fine for me on a workday morning.
    • Soaps last forever and before you realize it a collection has been built.
    • Straight razors are both frightening and alluring. I'll be trying some straight shaves soon.
    • The generosity of the wet shaving community is incredible. So many nice, giving, and supportive people here on TSD.
    I've enjoyed the journey thus far!

Bama Samurai, Keithmax, RyX and 7 others like this.
  17. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

[​IMG]

RyX, Carbide Mike, Sid James and 3 others like this.
  18. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

100% correct. When someone in this hobby takes free products for the reason to become a "pitch man" for said products without disclosing such freebies it's sad.

19. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Ok - misunderstood. Being a "pitch man" is something else.

20. Redfisher

It is fun or at least for me it has been . I've learned a lot of things from the people here and first hand. And yes I've spent a few bucks but I would have anyway.

Carbide Mike, Shaver X, RyX and 2 others like this.