What I discovered about wet shaving in 2016

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Troy M, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Respectfully speaking, you should probably address your problem firsthand instead of going around the block with hints and innuendo.

Shaver X, RyX, AGHisBBS and 1 other person like this.
  2. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

What about those of us that obsessively buy vintage tools?

3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'd say I'm still in the prOHcess of wet-shaving discoveries, as this was my first year at it. I've discovered that a 4 oz. puck will last a looong time..gets me thinking about the 5.8 jars from Stirling, that's for sure.

Keithmax, RyX and Troy M like this.
  4. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

• I learned that even though I really enjoy straight razor shaving, I find safety razors refreshingly simple.
    • A good SE shave is hard to beat, especially when pressed for time.
    • I prefer synthetic brushes.
    • Vegan soaps can perform as well as or outperform tallow soaps.
    • I should have waited until I mastered my technique before allowing RAD and SRAD to kick in.

Tdmsu, Keithmax, Shaver X and 5 others like this.
  5. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

What does hydroxide have to do with it? or Ohio?

Keithmax and RyX like this.
  6. Paul Turner

I meant neither one....thought I'd do an English accent kinda thing.

Keithmax and americanshamrock like this.
  7. SABOTEURw

SABOTEURw Active Member

I mentioned in my previous post that switching shave products between passes reveals stubble missed when relying on a single product. What I didn't mention was wiping or dabbing the face with a hot/warm face cloth does the same thing.

This is a rough guesstimate, but I'd say that of the (approximate) 40 minutes I shave each day, roughly 25 - 30 minutes is spent going over my face with a hot/warm face cloth and meticulously shaving/scraping off whatever stubble is revealed. My fingertips look like prunes when I'm done.

ADVISORY: Not recommended for anyone who hasn't mastered the ability to apply minimal pressure to the razor...or for anyone who finds DFS acceptable.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Keithmax, mrchick and Troy M like this.
  8. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

You hit the nail on the head about Japanese straight razors. Quality craftsmanship and wicked edges.

Redfisher likes this.
  9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

buying is the key word. Getting stuff for free and not being upfront about it is another. When one pretty much (hawks) new stuff in every social media form for the sake of being hip, isn't cool.

10. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Maybe this is something better suited for a private conversation with the individual(s) involved.

Redfisher likes this.
  11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I said "sharp" not "lethal" :)

12. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Things I learned this year:
    • The MMOC is not for me, even though I like aggressive razors.
    • SR shaving is also not for me - my beard is just too wiry and I can get a better shave with my Futur on six.
    • Synthetic brushes are better than badgers for me
    • I like the Merkur Futur badger brush better than the Simpson Colonel.
    • I like balms because they leave my skin soft.

13. RaZorBurn123

No one in particular, but thanks for your

Carbide Mike and Linuxguile like this.
  14. RaZorBurn123

Input. Cowboys just scored.

15. Paul Turner

Ah yes....the team you told me would never be in current or future Super Bowl when I suggested all future Super Bowls should be in the Cotton Bowl (your picture of pigs flying was funnnyyyy!).

16. RaZorBurn123

I think the oddsmakers are picking a Dallas vs New England SB. This young star <~~~ Cowboys star Prescott is gooooood!

Carbide Mike likes this.
  17. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Very well worded, and I like it ! Screenshot_2016-08-24-00-49-25.png

18. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

1. I learned pretty much all there is to know about wetshaving tools and technique seven years ago. It is really simple, so there is not much to learn.
    2. The best razor is the one I use all the time. That is because I am used to it more than any other razor.
    3. Or put another way, practice makes perfect.
    4. Trying lots of different blades was interesting, but perhaps I should have stuck with the first great razor + blade combination I found years ago.
    5. K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid)
    6. Stop looking for fantastic when I have already found it a number of times. Further searching will bring diminishing rewards for the effort expended.

Tdmsu, AGHisBBS, Troy M and 5 others like this.
  19. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

People are astroturfing again? If so, then I should add these to my list:

7. Don't trust reviews where the reviewer is compensated with $$ or free product.
    8. Look for reviews from product pass-arounds instead, and look at all the reviews from the pass-around rather than just one or two.

Getting free stuff and not being upfront about it when posting reviews is illegal, at least in the US. So is posting positive reviews in return for pay. Even if people are upfront about it, are their reviews really untainted? IMHO, that is a good question. Fortunately there are review checkers to spot such nonsense. Both reviewmeta.com and fakespot.com can be used to check Amazon reviews. That is a big mark in Amazon's favor.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    RaZorBurn123, RyX, Troy M and 2 others like this.
  20. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

What I learned this year:
    1. Vintage straight razors are a lot of fun to collect, restore, hone and shave with.
    2. Honing a SR is not difficult.
    3. I enjoy shaving with vintage SR, DE and SE razors equally.
    4. Classic traditional shaving is enjoyable as long as you have a good tool and a sharp and smooth blade.
    5. I never realized how much I enjoyed antique stores.
    6. Tracking packages online is great fun.
    7. I have enough soaps and creams for the next 5-7 years.
    8. Handlebar moustaches are great conversation pieces.
    9. TSD is a great forum filled with thoughtful, funny, knowledgeable gentlemen and women.
    10. Practice makes (almost) perfect.
    11. There is nothing like a sharp steel blade on your neck in the morning to focus your thoughts.

RyX, Shaver X, Troy M and 6 others like this.