What I discovered about wet shaving in 2016

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Troy M, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Shaver X gave out some outstanding information. I learned a lot this year. Everyone has different skin, beards, and certain types of blades are better for them, but not for everyone. You can save alot of money buying a vintage razor that has been proven to work, and last many years. People have different opinions and that is healthy if discussions are friendly. And if you find a good combination that works, stick with it, and don't be afraid to try new things. Lots of very knowledgeable members and they all have their areas of expertise. Read. ,learn, and post. We can all learn something , and share our experiences. Put aside our differences, and Have a great New Year.

Screwtape, Shaver X, twhite and 5 others like this.
  2. KLF

KLF Doctorin

What I discovered lately :
    1. Plissoft is the number 1 brush for me
    2. I have enough soap to last for some years to come and I don't feel the urge to buy more
    3. The faithfull Edwin Jagger does a wonderfull work for me and I don't fell the urge to buy the new,all stainless and expensive razors.
    4. Nothing can't beat the Stirling aftershave balm and aloe vera

3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

where's the game played this year?

Carbide Mike likes this.
  4. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

My newest toy is 43 years old and I have yet to grow up. Maybe in 2017 - but I'd wouldn't bet the farm.

5. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I learned that I prefer the old and like the cold. Cold water shaving that is.

Bama Samurai and Carbide Mike like this.
  6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

[​IMG]

7. RaZorBurn123

Thanks for the website's! It's getting harder everyday to figure out who is truthful and honest or simply out for themselves.

Keithmax, Shaver X and Carbide Mike like this.
  8. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Houston.

Carbide Mike and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  9. RaZorBurn123

Thanks!! :):):):):)

Carbide Mike and cmorris357 like this.
  10. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Things I learned in 2016:

DE blade choice does not matter anywhere near as much as people like to think it does.

Shavettes are awesome, and will probably be my daily razor.

Straights are fun and very cool, but not a maintenance routine I am looking to add to my daily life.

11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Ditto on the blades and straights...

12. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

There is tremendous variation in blades. I made extensive trials on a wide variety of them in 2016 looking for a favorite. In the end I found half a dozen that I like, all with different qualities. In no particular order: Astra SP, Voshkod, Bic Chrome Platinum, Derby, Personna red, KAI.

Troy M, Keithmax, Linuxguile and 2 others like this.
  13. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Finally, something we can disagree on.
    :)

Keithmax, Carbide Mike and Spyder like this.
  14. Bama Samurai

Come, walk with the Jedi...

We like the same blades. Too funny.

15. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I think I may have heard somewhere, blades are a YMMV thingy, or something like that:)

16. Bama Samurai

I didn't write that they don't matter. My biggest observation over two years is that blades are a convenient catch-all that allows new shavers (I did it) to avoid the reality that they don't have good technique. The vast majority of blade reviews have little to no scientific value. (Not addressing @Big Mike as I don't know his methodology) You see people try blades without controlling for any other variables, and then without fail blame only the blade. This mentality in blade reviews discourages people from trying certain blades, and isn't positive. All blades will shave. Not all blades are best in any given razor, but blades have little, ultimately, to do with end result.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    AGHisBBS, Drygulch, Troy M and 8 others like this.
  17. SABOTEURw

SABOTEURw Active Member

My Razorock synthetic shaving brush has seen little use since I converted to lather-less shave products. Switching lather for the slickness of Neutrogena Transparent bar soap improved my shave immensely, so I stuck with it. I usually soap my face by hand or with a face cloth and shave it off instead of rinsing or wiping it off.

So while applying the soap yesterday I glance at my shaving brush sitting neglected on the shelf. I decide to swish it over my soapy face.

Just because.

I expected nothing more than a soapy, watery "not quite a lather" mixture that I would quickly forget as I continued my morning ritual. What I got instead was a rich, thick, creamy lather which blossomed very quickly. I repeated the experiment this morning; the lather produced was thicker and creamier than yesterday.

I never would have guessed that a bar of beauty soap would produce a shaving lather superior to product intended specifically for shaving.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

18. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I've been wet shaving since the end of March, beginning of April. I've learned that technique trumps tools. I've learned that a 30 day Focus improves technique even if the Focus is about tools. I've learned to love my $1.00 '71 Gillette Super Adjustable 109. I've learned that shaving on Sunday morning after resting my mug since Friday is one of the most relaxing things I've ever done for myself. I've learned to back away from the keyboard when that little voice in my head goes "Ooooh that looks neat." And finally I've learned that there are a lot of exceptional people here at the Den.

19. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

While I strive for the best shave possible. I'm now also trying to get the best post shave feel possible.

Wish I would have discovered Speick aftershave as soon as I started shaving.

Wish I would have tried Mystic Waters shave soap sooner. Was scared to buy it because of the lathering issues I've read about. But I have soft water here in the Puget Sound.

I enjoy having a soap and cream rotation. Probably doubled in size this year. Variety is a nice luxury to have.

While I have been wet shaving for almost 4 years now. I still look forward to my next shave. Never felt that way with my electric. It was just something I had to do every morning.

With all the new artisan soap makers out there. It's a great time to be a wet shaver. But sad to see some of the older soap makers are now going out of business. Lots of competition out there.

Really like the shaving community on the forums. While I enjoy hearing about new products and techniques. The people here is what makes me want to hang around.

Carbide Mike and RetLEO-07 like this.
  20. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Sharpest instrument in the Shave game is that thingie between your ears.

AGHisBBS and Carbide Mike like this.