What is a Aggressive and Efficient razor?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Ron R, Aug 8, 2018.

?

Different Interpetations catergories.

1. K.I.S.S.- Keep it simple shaving -interpetation

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. More Scientific- more complex-interpetation

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Angle is everything.

2. Bama Samurai

The cap arc radius defines the range of shave attack angles for a given razor.

3. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Is it fair to say about the aggressiveness and efficiency of a razor is ?
    Aggressiveness: its the parameters the manufacture has set in blade gap(
    predetermined or varying as like in a adjustable razor) and blade exposure(positive,neutral,negative) with guard(hybrid or dimpled or just smooth straight) and Cap(OC,normal or Scalloped) also weight (plastic, brass,stainless steel,aluminum..)all combined before a shave starts in it's static tightened blade loaded razor. As the shave starts Blade feel aggressiveness indicates, as it mows whiskers.

Efficiency:
    With the set parameters of the razor by manufacture and blade loaded how well did it perform with good hand technique along with 1st & 2nd shave use with a new sharp blade by operator of the razor! = end results DFS or BBS. (
    Another way to bump up efficiency is to shower or hydrate skin & beard with warm wet towel, use a new Gillette silver blue blade with your favorite razor should give you even better results.)(edited Aug16/2018)

Some times I like to rate razors from 1 to 10 and it might eliminate a lot of words but its more a personal opinion like every thing in shaving. I made this quick chart up that in my estimation when thinking were that razor characteristics lays after about a hr after the shave by how my skin & beard feels and that determines my efficiency rating of that razor used.
    Latest revision on Agression and effiiency chart Aug 16-2018.JPG
    Safety_Razor_Parameters_around_Blade_Cutting_Edge (3).jpg

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    SevenEighth likes this.
  4. Bama Samurai

How many lifetime DE shaves have you completed?

5. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

All of the terms are subjective upon and are scewwed by the users proficiency.
    I hesitated to answer because I knew all the answers, but my own experience tends to prove that I was wrong on many fronts.
    An aggressive razor is open enough to bite if not used properly.
    Most razors are efficient if used well.
    Riding the edge without scraping or biting flesh is paramount. Some razors do one or the other better, or easier.
    I've found, for what is worth, your relationship with the edge determines your shave quality. Razor handles facilitate this, some easier some harder. Rather to say the sweet spot, or effective range, is more open on some, more restrictive on others.
    But once you learn to feel the edge, it all becomes mute. Mostly because you don't rely on the handle to maintain blade aspect, this eventually is becomes automatic reflex action by how the edge feels.
    Many things I was sure of, had to be rethought, because proficiency constantly changes technique. And better technique changes efficiency.

6. Bama Samurai

I agree with this view. Completely.

7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Could not have said it better. My views and preferences have changed greatly as my skill level has increased, and I think many of us share this same view.

8. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

But how agessive is your tin foil hat??
    That may be the determining factor.

An efficient tool to one is an agressive tool to another.
    But I say agressive is in the hand, efficient is in the tool.

Being new at this, I would compaire some razors I have to a brush hog, others to a finish mower.
    I tend to need a brush hog on my face, but a finish mower on my head.

tp

Linuxguile, mrchick and Ron R like this.