What is a Shave Den?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Carson West, May 15, 2019.

1. Carson West

Carson West Well-Known Member

Guys, I'm interested in your take on what you perceive to be a "Shave Den." I figure the term is what we name the room where we keep our shaving stuff: all our razors and soaps and blades and aftershaves, etc., etc. The fact that we call it a shave den suggests we consider that the most important thing we associate with the room. In my case, my "den" consists of two shelves and the top of a dresser. So how much space is your woman letting you have? And what does "shave den" mean to you?

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  2. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

It's an escape to pamper yourself, store soaps and shaving gear, and really enjoy the zen of shaving.

3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Ideally, it would be a personal bathroom, with excellent lighting and lots of shelves and storage space. Usually it's a shared bathroom with SWMBOs offering the occasional snarky comments regarding our obsession...I mean, hobby. :happy097:

4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I have an entire (small) vanity to myself and a 4 shelf wire wall rack which holds the majority of my stuff daily use stuff(aftershaves and soaps).. With other assorted bits and pieces scattered around. I'm also lucky enough to have a really nice display cabinet, given to me by SWMBO, for my razor/brush collection. :happy088:

5. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

To me a shave den can be anything you want it to be. It can be a medicine cabinet where you keep your one razor, soap, and brush, or elaborate bathroom setups that rival musuems for amount of stuff.

For me, it's just a bathroom, with some shelves under the sink, and a few soaps and aftershaves. Nothing super fancy.

AGHisBBS, brit, wristwatchb and 3 others like this.
  6. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

A man cave (edit: of any size) for the actual Act of Shaving as well as for displaying shave related items which may or may not get used.

AGHisBBS, 178-bplatoon, brit and 2 others like this.
  7. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

To me, it is simply a bathroom where guys keep and use more than the typical amount of shaving stuff. So a shaving enthusiast / collector's nickname for their bathroom. Over the years, many traditional wetshavers have posted pics of this type of shave den, often with an extra cabinet or shelves installed in the bathroom to hold their shaving equipment. Thus my view of this as the stereotypical shave den. More recently, it appears that this definition has expanded to include rooms other than bathrooms where larger, sometimes ginormous, amounts of shaving gear are kept. By one account I read, it is not even a particular room, but just multiple places around the house where shaving gear is crammed into every nook and cranny. IMHO, that last one is not a shave den, but a hoard. To me, a shave den, a room other than a bathroom housing a relatively orderly collection, and a hoard are three different things.

How much space is my woman letting me have? There is an easy way to avoid that issue - don't have more than the minimum amount of shaving gear necessary. There is much peace to be found in simplicity, and also in laid back, mellow women.

AGHisBBS, brit and Hembree like this.
  8. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

To me my shave den is my whole collection of shaving gear. Whether it be stored in the bathroom, under my bed, or in the basement.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

9. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

As the old saying goes..........if mama ain't happy, no one is happy!

AGHisBBS and brit like this.
  10. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

As long as my gear is stored neatly, my Bride is happy. Sometimes she even helps stock the shelves. ;)
    1.jpg

11. Hembree

Love it Charlie...I knew you was moving but man that new shave den is awesome! Can I come play?

12. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Sure thing, Danny. I'll be in aisle 208 unpacking a skid of Arko that just arrived.

Hembree, AGHisBBS, brit and 1 other person like this.
  13. Carson West

Carson West Well-Known Member

Are you sure you have enough soaps Charlie?

14. NTR

NTR Well-Known Member

Every time I speak of my “den”, which is the small bathroom I share with my wife, she rolls her eyes and calls me crazy.

:happy093:

I do it just for the reaction!

:happy108:

brit and Hembree like this.
  15. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I don't necessarily consider my shave den to be the entire room, but just the area that is devoted to my shaving gear. So for me it is the top of a high dresser in our guest bedroom. I also have some stuff in a bin underneath the guest bedroom bed. And I have my daily use stuff in the bathroom consisting of three tubs of soap/cream, three samples, an opened bottle of witch hazel, alum, some blades and a razor stand. But the guest bedroom serves many purposes. It is also a home office and a spare bedroom, or becomes my bedroom when I am snoring too much and the wife kicks me out so we can both get some sleep. So, i consider my "den" to be the top of the dresser.

16. Hembree

Is that not the aisle with the pallet of Karves? If so, I am there.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    brit and wristwatchb like this.
  17. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

Bo
    Bingo!

brit, Hembree and Primotenore like this.
  18. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

For me, a shave den would be a his bathroom where you can have all your shave gear set up. That would include racks on the wall to display all your razors and brushes and shelves to keep all your soaps and aftershaves. Not to mention lots of manly memorabilia on the wall.
    Sadly, we only have 1 small bathroom in our house and my wife's beauty gear seems to take up most of the space, so Im kind of limited to a small corner of the vanity for my razor, brush and razor/brush stand and a corner of the medicine cabinet for my blades, soap, aftershave and jar of alcohol to dink my razor in after the shave.
    One day, I hope to have a bigger house with either a his and hers sink or a guest bathroom to turn into my shave den.

Edison Carter and Hembree like this.
  19. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Wherever The Max Headroom ShaveMobile takes me.

20180701_121714-1.jpg

Getting real full by now.

Good thing The Lovely Mrs Headroom bought 2 of them.

We got ourselves a convoy...... Nah forget it.