What is Dovo’s best blade?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by BaylorGator, Aug 10, 2018.

1. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

I’m having a custom straight made, and can put any Dovo blade in it that I desire. A few that have been suggested to me are the Carbon (marked Prima Silver Steel on the front), the Stainless (I think Inox) and the Bismarck. Any thoughts on these or others? What say you TSD Straight users?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  2. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

I’ve never tried the prima silver, but I have three old Bismarck’s and had tried a 2 and was happy with them all. All took an amazingly crisp edge that lasts through many shaves. They were also surprisingly easy to hone.

3. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

The best one is the barischer Lowe. Don’t count me on the spelling of that but there is also a 6/8 variation of it with a different name not sure what it’s called you can find it on Fendrihan.com/.ca

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edison Carter, Paul76 and Keithmax like this.
  4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have two shoulderless 6/8 that are excellent, one is carbon and the other is stainless. Bismarck or Masters Series are the razors and I recommend them highly.

Edison Carter and Paul76 like this.
  5. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

Another vote for the Bismark .

6. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Third vote for the Bismarck.

7. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Fourth for Bismark.

Cheers, Steve

Edison Carter and Keithmax like this.
  8. mrchick

I’m seeing a pattern here

9. BaylorGator

Those of you voting Bismarck, why are you a fan of this particular blade? It’ definitely got “bling”, but is there more to it than looks?

10. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

The one that I have has a plain blade, commissioned by a dealer but no longer sold. It's a light, nimble blade that's a little shorter than the usual 3"/75mm. It's one of the few round point razors I like. I take it that the blaks for the modern ones are made by Herkenrath forge in Solingen and the same blank is used by Wacker, Boker, Revisor, and few others, so if you don't like Dovo's particular bling, take a look at the othets.

Cheers, Steve

11. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

They have a really nice balanced feel in the hand. And also shave extremely well. For being a carbon steel blade it holds an edge really good with just good stropping. The bad only part is the gold will eventually wear off with use.

12. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Randy, any clues you would like to share about the customization? Materials, shape, design? Inquiring minds want to know :)

13. BaylorGator

Pete over at HendrixClassics did a knife for me and is hooking me up with a Dovo with scales of the same type (spalted ironwood). Here’s the knife:
    8911B6E2-9B88-4EF5-BB44-FB8F46564A52.jpeg

14. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

Fifth for Bismark

15. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

I like the Bismark due to its balance ,thumb notch and how it handles during a shave pass .The steel is good for modern steel and takes a very good edge .

16. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

This Fritz Bracht DOVO 25 is the best DOVO I have, hands down. :happy036:

Then again, it’s the only one I have. :rofl:

It may slightly edge out my Dubl Duck Wonderedge and provides a very close, easy shave. And, you can’t beat the look of those scales. :sad027:

Fritz Bracht DOVO #25.jpeg

Happy shaving - Karl

17. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Lovely razor @Karl G

Cheers, Steve

18. BaylorGator

Based on the feedback, I’m going for the Bismarck. Thanks for the thoughts and input, guys!

19. mrchick

Enjoy!

Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  20. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Seeing that you made your decision already....I was also going to vote Bismarck. Bling aside; you'll appreciate the wider 6/8 blade, the handling of the thumb notch, and the round tip, The blade also holds an incredibly sharp edge. IMHO, it's one of the most "user friendly" straights out there. The only thing I don't like about mine is the scales:) So you should be good to go!
    Hurry up, we want pics!!!